Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2009, 14:44   #1
BHPian

The new Ikon's headlights - upgrade options?

Hi,

The headlights of the new Ikon are *horrible*. Cant see a thing if there is even a little bit of light coming from cars on the opposite side. Focusing and spread seem OK because if there is no other light, the road is lit up well.

Any idea how this can be bettered without spending too much and voiding warranty? I am sure the others (Condor, Dieseled, S_budhiraj etc) will be interested too.

Please let me know if I need to check out which type of headlights the Ikon uses (H!, H2, H3 etc.)

Need urgent help as I am not confident of taking her ling distance with the existing setup! I just don't feel safe doing so.
Old 20th March 2009, 14:56   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

@Proxima, something for us to work out ...

I am actually happy with my headlights. So before we go further, can you check & let us know what is the setting of your head-light leveller switch ? This switch is at the left of the steering column, just below the console & faces you.
Old 20th March 2009, 14:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

I would blame the puny 55/60 stock headlights.
Switch to 100/90 philips rallye with the wiring harness and stronger holders.
I was happy with this setup even on the highways.
Old 20th March 2009, 15:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Proxima, something for us to work out ...

I am actually happy with my headlights. So before we go further, can you check & let us know what is the setting of your head-light leveller switch ? This switch is at the left of the steering column, just below the console & faces you.
Condor, I tried all that, it goes up and down but the power is the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
That wont void the warranty right? How much will it set me back by?
Old 20th March 2009, 15:08   #5
BHPian

Proxima, Condor is right check the leveller, I'm happy too with the headlamps, are u keeping the fog lights on ? One thing I've noticed is that fog lamps are brighter than the headlamps, so Ikeep the fog lamps on all the time.
Old 20th March 2009, 15:24   #6
BHPian

Okay, will re-check the leveler today. Or maybe my eyes need attention. lol
Old 20th March 2009, 19:26   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Proxima : That wont void the warranty right? How much will it set me back by?
Try to get it done by the dealer itself ! Less than 1k unless you go for the costlier lamps.
Quote:
Dieseled : One thing I've noticed is that fog lamps are brighter than the headlamps, so I keep the fog lamps on all the time.
The fog lamps (only) appear bright because of the shorter throw. But yes, the fog lamps help hugely. Between the headlamps & the fog-lamps, the illumination is more than manageable.
Old 20th March 2009, 19:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Try to get it done by the dealer itself ! Less than 1k unless you go for the costlier lamps.
The fog lamps (only) appear bright because of the shorter throw. But yes, the fog lamps help hugely. Between the headlamps & the fog-lamps, the illumination is more than manageable.
Dont think the dealer will do it. Is there some 50/60W bulb that is better? That wont need a cutout right?
Old 20th March 2009, 19:52   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

@Proxima, any 55/60W bulb will not need a cut-out. You can try for Philips Vision Plus etc, as discussed in other threads.Give the dealer a try, During your servicing. I have done that (not Ford), and it was a quick job that helped both. No objections, no complaints, no running around for spares.
Old 20th March 2009, 20:49   #10
BHPian

I would suggest an upgrade to 90/100 with a proper harness and ceramic holders, Upgraded the same on my ikon and it much better that the stock lights.
Old 20th March 2009, 22:45   #11
BHPian

Quote:
@Proxima, any 55/60W bulb will not need a cut-out. You can try for Philips Vision Plus etc, as discussed in other threads.Give the dealer a try, During your servicing. I have done that (not Ford), and it was a quick job that helped both. No objections, no complaints, no running around for spares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile View Post
I would suggest an upgrade to 90/100 with a proper harness and ceramic holders, Upgraded the same on my ikon and it much better that the stock lights.
Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot.
Old 21st March 2009, 16:31   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Yaa man, I did the same for my dad's car. The difference is too good both for city driving and for highways. What I did was more of a DIY job. I went for a fully furnished relay + wiring harness where you job is to just to replace the bulbs and find a place to bolt the relay. "No need to cut any wire". The harness comes with 2 ceramic holders, wires fully closed inside a black coloured corrugated hose, and also an adaptor which you can plug into the exisiting holder.

For DIY guys, here is what you have to do.
1. Open the bonnet and remove the front grill by pulling up the plastic clips found near the ends of the grill.
2. Remove the screws (I remember like 2 per lamp) fastening the lamps to the vehicle.
3. First pull out the tapered end about 2 inches forward, and slide the assembly sidewards.
4. Remove the black coloured connector from the lamp and detach the lamp completely from the vehicle.
5. On the rearside of the assembly, locate the locks provided and un-do them to remove the trapezoidal cover to get access to the bulb.
6. Remove and replace the bulbs.
7. Now that the now holder has to be routed inside, make a small cut on the projection where the back-cover fits on to the lamp assembly to let in the thicker wires of the new harness to pass inside the lamp housing.
8. Connect the holder, put back the cover and make sure to check that the cover does not bite the wires while fully closed. Also make sure that the cut you had made is just the right size. A bigger passage would give way for dust to enter the housing.
9. Find a place some where near the lamps to connect the ground wire.
10. Repeat the same procedure on the other lamp also and revrse the ablve steps to put back the lamps and finish off the job.
11. In my case I had connected the relay on a plastic projection on the firewall and fastened it with a nut.
Old 21st March 2009, 23:48   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Any kinda wiring tampering will void Warranty.Source MPL Service.
Old 21st March 2009, 23:53   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Note from Team-BHP support: Topic already exists. Continue further discussion there. Thread closed.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks