Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2009, 08:20   #16
BHPian

Nice toy. U can drive it on the roads without the cops troubling you? Get it into some nice slush rally and have fun.
Old 7th May 2009, 11:30   #17
BHPian

What kind of suspension travel does it have? and what shocks are you using?
Old 7th May 2009, 11:45   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
WOW!!

That thing is awesome! Great job...and all in a month!

The chassis fabrication is great. Did you base it on a existing design?

I had no idea this existed in bombay! Do you have any pictures of it in action during Desert Storm?

cya
R
These are for u rehaan...
Attached Thumbnails
Dune Buggy-cimg0155.jpg  

Dune Buggy-cimg0169.jpg  

Dune Buggy-img_0839.jpg  

Dune Buggy-img_0843.jpg  

Dune Buggy-img_0124.jpg  

Old 7th May 2009, 11:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan View Post
What kind of suspension travel does it have? and what shocks are you using?
Like I said before,lack of time compelled us to use whatever came out of my skoda.So its the Bilstein shock and H&R lower springs with a total suspension travel of 9"

Karan
Old 7th May 2009, 14:04   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS Motorsport View Post

As i cant weild on my place,the buggy was made at my friends place in Baroda.
Karan,

Who did the frame design? You or your Baroda friend (I am assuming that you were NOT present when this was done in Baroda, or did you go to Baroda and then got it done). The frame looks to be nicely done -- especially in one of your pictures of the right front wheel, one can see how nicely the frame & A Arm & the rose/rod end joints are done.

Can you give EXACT specs of the pipes? what OD/ID type etc etc. What kind of welding have you done at what all parts -- arc/Tig/etc etc..

Guys, Do you know anyone in Bangalore who can do this kind of job with pipes and also work precisely with rose/rod end joints??

I have ideas for my Gypsy that will require such precise work with pipes & rose joints.
Old 7th May 2009, 15:08   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Karan,

Who did the frame design? You or your Baroda friend (I am assuming that you were NOT present when this was done in Baroda, or did you go to Baroda and then got it done). The frame looks to be nicely done -- especially in one of your pictures of the right front wheel, one can see how nicely the frame & A Arm & the rose/rod end joints are done.

Can you give EXACT specs of the pipes? what OD/ID type etc etc. What kind of welding have you done at what all parts -- arc/Tig/etc etc..

Guys, Do you know anyone in Bangalore who can do this kind of job with pipes and also work precisely with rose/rod end joints??

I have ideas for my Gypsy that will require such precise work with pipes & rose joints.
I know a few guys u are tring to make a dune buggy.Its not easy at all,if u get ur damping right,then u have lost handling....to get both right we needed an expert at such things

No one I know here in India that can make this quality, so we got an english company that makes kit cars in UK to make it for us in India.I was in baroda while it was being made.It was made with the imputs from me,my friend and rv motorsports(UK)
All the parts were desgined on CAD and then CNC cut.We have used TIG welding.It was a combination of 3 people wroking to make 1 buggy in 1 month,right from thought to final product
Inspite of CNC cutting,there was a lot of wastage of metal because the CNC operator`s mindset was "chalta hai" types.
If a 1mm mistake was found on the supporting arm,then it would eat through the tires because the geometry on the suspension had to be very precise to allow the 9" of travel.

It would cost a lot of money to make some thing like this again.One offs are very expensive.Because we have made 1 and we have some jigs and the experince,to make the next one will not be as much of a pain as the first one.

A smaller one is in the pipeline.Esteem engine and 600kgs in weight

Karan
Old 7th May 2009, 15:19   #22
rippergeo

This thing should be up on the TBHP banner instead of the Skoda. Its brilliant!
Sorry to ask a silly question- but is this car still a FWD? the donor car is, and i couldnt see a rear axle so.... How good is it at climbing when the traction is poor? Any plans of a RWD buggy?
Have you started on the esteem one?

Old 7th May 2009, 15:22   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...I was in baroda while it was being made. It was made with the imputs from me,my friend and rv motorsports(UK)
All the parts were desgined on CAD and then CNC cut. .....

If a 1mm mistake was found on the supporting arm,then it would eat through the tires because the geometry on the suspension had to be very precise to allow the 9" of travel.
Now that makes it clear -- because the 'precise' nature of the welding/rod lengths, joints etc are very very crucial here.

This is one job where the welder/CNC and the person overseeing the whole job have to be in sync. It's very easy to mess this kind of job and later have issues as KS has mentioned -- like suspension issues.

OK, more questions for you:

How did you determine the frame length parts, what size has to be the A-Arm, Which point/distance it has to be on the frame, what about anti-squat etc?

Basically, how did you do your calculations?

Cheers,
Old 7th May 2009, 15:32   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Sorry to ask a silly question- but is this car still a FWD? the donor car is, and i couldnt see a rear axle so.... How good is it at climbing when the traction is poor? Any plans of a RWD buggy?
the engine is mounted on the rear , it is a rwd.
Old 7th May 2009, 15:40   #25
BHPian

Quote:

How did you determine the frame length parts, what size has to be the A-Arm, Which point/distance it has to be on the frame, what about anti-squat etc?

Cheers,
This is how we started the with the length(size)...the basic structure...(photo)That is me holding a wrong length arm...Look at the wiring mess

the position of the upper arm in conjunction to the mounting position and length of the lower will give u your anti dive and squat charecteristic.
Some things I learnt when i work in a racing outfit in Arizona about damper rate etc,and some i studied.The weight of ur spindle and brakes will give u a starting point to measure the rebound for the springs.And if i was going wrong,then the englishman was there!

No more details on that Sultan...

Karan

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Also please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Dune Buggy-090109.jpg  

Dune Buggy-lower-arm.jpg  

Dune Buggy-wiring-outside.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 8th May 2009 at 16:41. Reason: see note in post
Old 7th May 2009, 15:44   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
This is a RWD....
no we will start the smaller esteem buggy after about a 5 weeks

Karan
Old 7th May 2009, 15:56   #27
BHPian

Can you post some pics of the cockpit area? curious about your transmission linkages.
Old 7th May 2009, 16:44   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Basically, how did you do your calculations?...
Quote:
the position of the upper arm in conjunction to the mounting position and length of the lower will give u your anti dive and squat charecteristic.

No more details on that Sultan...
Sure, I can understand that you may not want to share more details of the process used for calculations.

(NOTE: I have NO intention of building a buggy for me. This is just for my learning purposes -- for the coil over on my Gypsy.)

Few more questions:

Since you did the calculations, is it possible for you to share the final numbers for the Anti-Squat % ?

Also, if I understand correctly, all calculations are done with a specific tyre size' under consideration -- because things like Tyre Dia, Rolling Radius, various GC's etc would be parameters in the calculations.

Now, if you say that you have changed the tyre size, how are you accounting for the changes that would have happened in the calculation numbers??
Old 7th May 2009, 17:40   #29

Ahh!! I wondered when this would make its way into TeamBHP!!! Brilliant effort Karan, is this in bombay yet?
Old 7th May 2009, 18:27   #30
BHPian

Wow!! amazing bunny
Congratulations on a wonderful build.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks