Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2009, 15:15   #1
BHPian

Effect of K&N or Green Filters on Diesel cars?

I am planning to change the stock filters of my Logan Diesel to K&N or Green filters, but I am not sure doing this will benefit or not?

I have heard that CAI and Green Filters are effective in petrol cars only. Can you guys post any experience with such filters on Diesel cars? About the performance improvement, effect on engine, HP/Torque/Pickup increases etc?
Old 16th May 2009, 15:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yes, it will help. In absolute terms, you will have to do a stopwatch comparison test, before and after fitment. There will be a noticeable gain. Whether it is worth the price is another question.
Old 16th May 2009, 15:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

i am running a CAI for the past 2 years on my accent Viva crdi the difference is very very noticeable and the car now with bigger tyres has much better drive-ability in the city especially at the RED lights the car use to struggle to take off with those huge tyres but now its all gone and feels better than stock.

yes they do benifit the Diesel as good as Petrol cars i guess, i am sure in my case atleast!
Old 16th May 2009, 16:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

I had changed to Green Stock replacement filter as it was reccomended by Pete's BUT I did not notice any real-time change in performance.

I changed because it made economic sense, as Skoda Air Filter (stock) costs around 1900/- (don't really remember the exact figure) so effectively for the cost of 2.5 stock filters I got one which will last the life of the car or pretty close to that !

And yes, my car is re-mapped.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 16th May 2009 at 16:23.
Old 16th May 2009, 20:58   #5
Team-BHP Support

hey it will make your car a bit more free revving and add a nice sound. it will definitely help your car though it might be more from your mind. lol

rider60 - bro if your car struggled to move with 195s then there is something wrong with your car. its only 20mm bigger than stock.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2009, 21:45   #6
BHPian

Is that recommenended to go for CAI or only replacement of stock filter with a green or K&N will do the purpose?

Also any purchase options in Gurgaon?

Last edited by ezee : 16th May 2009 at 21:49.
Old 16th May 2009, 21:56   #7
BHPian

I use a replacement K&N for the only reason that , without the air box I fear that hot air from around the engine area would be sucked in if the conical filter is not installed properly and also worry if the air/fuel mix will be too lean . I could be wrong, but without any before and after dyno results, its hard to say if these really attribute to any gains in performance. They do sound nice and you will be tempted to put your foot down hard many a time, affecting the FE.

atleast, known advantage with replacement K&N is, they last a life time and can be cleaned and probably dont restrict the air flow as much as the OEM filters
Old 19th May 2009, 08:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
hey it will make your car a bit more free revving and add a nice sound. it will definitely help your car though it might be more from your mind. lol

rider60 - bro if your car struggled to move with 195s then there is something wrong with your car. its only 20mm bigger than stock.

DUDE i am running a 7% bigger tyres its not just 195s its 195/60-R15, and the car does not struggle, its just that it does not have the Maverick kind of launch that it has with the STOCK tyres.

and with the CAI and no other mods it behaves like a stock car.
Old 19th May 2009, 09:06   #9
BHPian

K&N Disadvantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
atleast, known advantage with replacement K&N is, they last a life time and can be cleaned and probably dont restrict the air flow as much as the OEM filters
I heard that the oil residues from K&N often gets deposited on the Air-mass sensor of the engine management system. These deposites slowly degrade the performance because of the drift and and it can not be diagnosed. Air-mass sensor is not a servicable component and costs a bomb to replace. Be careful !!
Old 19th May 2009, 16:35   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
I heard that the oil residues from K&N often gets deposited on the Air-mass sensor of the engine management system. These deposites slowly degrade the performance because of the drift and and it can not be diagnosed. Air-mass sensor is not a servicable component and costs a bomb to replace. Be careful !!
Oil residues from a K&N replacement air filter ? I am confused mate. Please explain. I was not aware of such things, thanks for the warning !
Old 19th May 2009, 16:36   #11
Team-BHP Support

He meant the oil that is smeared over the filter after cleaning, which can get to the air map sensor.
Old 19th May 2009, 16:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Air Filtration Test

mandatory reading for those of you thinking about getting an aftermarket air filter
Old 19th May 2009, 17:06   #13
Team-BHP Support

had seen this, nice read though. Its always a compromise between performance and filtration, isnt it.

The thing one can ensure is, you clean your non oe filters at regular intervals as you would with the paper filters, for best results.

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th May 2009 at 17:07.
Old 30th May 2012, 09:34   #14
BHPian

Re: Effect of KN or Green Filters on Diesel cars?

Sorry for reviving an old thread but I would like to ask if I can fit my green conical(performance) filter for my i20 diesel?If so what are the disadvantages?
Old 3rd June 2012, 11:24   #15
BHPian

Re: Effect of K&N or Green Filters on Diesel cars?

i am running a Green Storm CAI on the Swift VDi since almost a year now, and i am very happy with the overall gains.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks