New T S I engine from VW infos

hi
guys any info on vw tsi engine
which is a petrol engine used in vw audi and skoda
would like more info from experts
regards
narry
Old 17th May 2009, 09:40   #2

These are TFSi engines (Turbo Fuel stratified injection) i.e. direct fuel injection.

Skoda & Audi using the same engine in New Superb & A4 ( 1.8/118 Kw) CDA code engine.

Last edited by Technocrat : 18th May 2009 at 12:10. Reason: removed quotes
Old 17th May 2009, 10:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Which engine are you talking about?

There are several FSI engines currently in operation in VAG cars.

If you wish to know what exactly FSI is, read up here.

The T usually means some sort of forced induction. TC/SC or a combination.
Old 17th May 2009, 10:18   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Which engine are you talking about?

There are several FSI engines currently in operation in VAG cars.

If you wish to know what exactly FSI is, read up here.

The T usually means some sort of forced induction. TC/SC or a combination.
hi
i mean tsi
not fsi
any i attach pdf file here
regard
narry
i needed more info also
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TSI_Brochure.pdf (1.33 MB, 2651 views)
narry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2009, 10:25   #5
BHPian

TSi is FSi with a turbo charger unless i'm mistaken.
Old 18th May 2009, 06:56   #6
BHPian

Hey, the TSI engine which you are talking about are special engines developed by VW which have both a turbocharger and a supercharger and direct fuel injection. Hence you get a high power output and high fuel efficiency from a small displacement engine. Hence the superb engine which is offered is i think a 1.8litre engine which gives about 160bhp or so almost equal to that of the 2.4L accord.
Old 18th May 2009, 08:51   #7
Team-BHP Support

Like I have mentioned elsewhere in another thread. The TSI or TFSI as referred by Skoda and Audi respectively stands for Turbo charged Fuel Stratified Injection.

In india we get a 2L TFSI on the Audi A4 and the 1.8TSI on the skoda Superb. Both these are only turbosharged direct injection engines.

There is another TFSI engine, the 1.4L one. This one features a twin charger i.e. an electric supercharger as well as a turbocharger to boost output levels to 170PS from a 1.4L mill with excellent efficiency.
Old 18th May 2009, 10:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry15 View Post
Hey, the TSI engine which you are talking about are special engines developed by VW which have both a turbocharger and a supercharger and direct fuel injection. Hence you get a high power output and high fuel efficiency from a small displacement engine. Hence the superb engine which is offered is i think a 1.8litre engine which gives about 160bhp or so almost equal to that of the 2.4L accord.
Only the 1.4 TSI uses both types of forced induction. Every other TSI engine is turbocharged (sometimes twin turbo, as in the case of the RS6).

Oh, you don't want to know how much HP you can make when you plonk a turbo onto a K24 engine like the one on the Accord. You shouldn't compare NA and FI engines on their BHP to displacement ratios.
Old 18th May 2009, 20:05   #9
BHPian

Just so you know i was not comparing the two types of engines because that would be stupid. I was simply stating the obvious that this car is offered with this engine and that car is offered with that engine. even though i made a small mistake in mentioning that the engine which i was talking about was the 1.4L one and the 1.8L only has turbocharging. Why is that such a big deal and surely there is no reason for you to get personal.

Last edited by harry15 : 18th May 2009 at 20:18. Reason: correction
Old 18th May 2009, 22:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Did I get personal? I was just pointing out that one shouldn't compare NA and FI engines.

I'd say you're reading too much into my post.
Old 18th May 2009, 22:40   #11
BHPian

Everyone knows what Turbo charged means. Fuel Stratified Injection is the same thing as Stratosphere injection or direct engine where the fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber on the compression stroke. This way it is injected is also interesting, because of the vortex effect it forms a condense mist around the spark plug and for reasons I don’t understand with TSFi they can run really really lean and still manage to get power. Audi/VW managed to run their engines at 60:1 A/F ratio and Honda when testing claimed to run 65:1 A/F ratio, just so you know we run at 14.7:1 in our everyday cars.

Impressed? Don’t be. To run Stratosphere injection there is a whole host of problems especially with fuel. In Australia the Petrol has too much sulphur content and in India high octane fuels are not available everywhere. Also running that lean creates heaps of NOx and you need another catalyst injected into the exhaust system to counteract that. As far as I know VW and Audi only use TFSi in Europe, for the rest of the world the cars are set up exactly the same except that they inject fuel on the intake stroke and run just like standard fuel injection but inject strait into the cylinder.

Last edited by Gasolinejunkie : 18th May 2009 at 22:43.
Old 18th May 2009, 23:10   #12
Team-BHP Support

I don't see the harm in comparing a TC with NA when they are available in cars of the same segment at the same price point.

The 1.8TSI in the Superb keeps up and is infact a little quicker than the massive 2.4L accord. All this with the FE of a smaller engine.

Any normal person won't even bother about turbo or NA.
Old 19th May 2009, 10:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

As cars available to buy at a price point, of course, who cares. The Superb is definitely the better VFM buy, A.S.S notwithstanding.

But when you compare engine to engine, their technical merits and all that, I don't think one should compare NA to FI. Anyway, we're going OT.
Old 26th May 2009, 15:01   #14
BANNED

question is why 1.8 tsi can have more power

hi
before i had used subaru forest 2.5 turbi 280 bhp
from last 1 month i am driving skoda octivia combi
with 1.8tsi engine bhp 160
but i feel this car skoda have more power than my old subaru forestor
which was 2.5 liter 280 bhp
so i was wondering how can 1.8 tsi engine with 160 bhp
can have more power and pick up than 2.5 l turbo engine
regards
narry
Old 26th May 2009, 15:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Like I have mentioned elsewhere in another thread. The TSI or TFSI as referred by Skoda and Audi respectively stands for Turbo charged Fuel Stratified Injection.

In india we get a 2L TFSI on the Audi A4 and the 1.8TSI on the skoda Superb. Both these are only turbosharged direct injection engines.

There is another TFSI engine, the 1.4L one. This one features a twin charger i.e. an electric supercharger as well as a turbocharger to boost output levels to 170PS from a 1.4L mill with excellent efficiency.
i think the 1.4L engine you are talking abt will be available on the on the jetta in the future , or may be they should put this engine on the polo.

Most Viewed