Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2009, 21:32   #1
vinfriend

Modify Maruti 800 STD AC Jan 1991 (White) into 2002 model

My Maruti 800 STD AC Jan 1991 (White) model was taken to Kerala and re-registered on Sep. 2002. Now, I plan to modify it to get the style of Sep 2002 model to match with its new registration number. So, please help me to decide which items must be changed/modified to give it 2002 model look, and extra fittings for comfort, style and safety. Thanks in advance.

Old 20th May 2009, 22:51   #2
BANNED

I've done this project 5 yrs ago, converting a 1990 M-800 into a 2003 M-800 DX

Nothing of a rocket science, here's what all you need

1) New shape front and rear bumpers
2) New shape front fenders
3) New shape Headlight back plate - both sides
4) New shape headlights
5) New shape dashboard
6) New moulded roof
7) Latest type rims
8) Remote fuel tank cover remover lever, below the drivers seat
9) Latest type side mirrors
10) New shape rear tail lights
11) IF required all new multi link rear suspension
12) A nice and good professional paint job.
13) IF required refurbish the engine

Added to all this a bit of money and loads of patience

Kindly keep us posted about your restoration.
Old 20th May 2009, 22:55   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

You forgot the rear hatch
Old 21st May 2009, 13:27   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A well-maintained original style M800 is much rarer on our roads than the new facelift versions. And in my books, your '91 looks better as well. Why don't you spend that money on sprucing / refurbishing her up instead?
Old 21st May 2009, 13:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, don't modify it.
It will be exclusive, even for a 800.
Old 21st May 2009, 15:04   #6
vinfriend

Quote:
I've done this project 5 yrs ago, converting a 1990 M-800 into a 2003 M-800 DX

Nothing of a rocket science, here's what all you need

1) New shape front and rear bumpers
2) New shape front fenders
3) New shape Headlight back plate - both sides
4) New shape headlights
5) New shape dashboard
6) New moulded roof
7) Latest type rims
9) Latest type side mirrors
10) New shape rear tail lights
11) IF required all new multi link rear suspension
12) A nice and good professional paint job.
13) IF required refurbish the engine

Kindly keep us posted about your restoration.
Plz tell me the approx. cost of each item in the list. I checked with some MASS for the same, but the amount vary too much.

Old 21st May 2009, 15:14   #7
BHPian

@ vin: If I were you I would go in for originality and refurbish the existing car, but I realize you are wanting it to be different.

In that case I would drive the car down to Coimbatore and get it completely done up. There is a company there that does aesthetically pleasing mods. This would keep me happy and I guess, Keralites have a soft corner for modifications (I am one too) so at the end of it all the resale value would also not diminish later.

With just a upgrade on the year specific model the resale value would not go up IMHO.
Old 21st May 2009, 15:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Pavan, Is this really available in market? Please guide me where I can get the same in Bangalore oops Bengaluuru. I am searching for the same and was thinking of doing some DIY to get this. If this is readily available then there is no need to DIY.

You really have TONS of knowledge about all you vehicles. Very much appreciable.
Old 21st May 2009, 15:38   #9
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
And in my books, your '91 looks better as well. Why don't you spend that money on sprucing / refurbishing her up instead?
and would recommend that you keep the looks stock.
Old 21st May 2009, 15:53   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Hey Pavan, Is this really available in market? Please guide me where I can get the same in Bangalore oops Bengaluuru. I am searching for the same and was thinking of doing some DIY to get this. If this is readily available then there is no need to DIY.

You really have TONS of knowledge about all you vehicles. Very much appreciable.
The fuel tank cover remover lever can be fitted below the driver's seat , we close off the existing key hole. This unit can be lifted straight off an Esteem or the zen. I have gone ahead with the esteem unit on my 97 M-800 which helps me to remove the rear hatch and also the fuel cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
and would recommend that you keep the looks stock.

So would i, nothing to beat the stock look on any car as a matter of fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinfriend View Post
Plz tell me the approx. cost of each item in the list. I checked with some MASS for the same, but the amount vary too much.

All the spares would cost you around 20-35K with few used spares also. Labour your tinker would charge between 7.5 k to 10 k. and painting would cost around 20k. add another 7 k for other fittings. which would total upto 75 k. Which actually is too much. My restoration on my friends car costed a cool 1.05 K 5 yrs ago, but you cant tell it apart only for the RC book.

The best option is get your M-800 a fresh coat of paint, a good upholstery, nice alloys and big fat tyres. Re-do the engine if required, and all this would cost you half of what you need to spend on converting to a new type.

All the best...
Old 21st May 2009, 17:12   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinfriend View Post
One of my friend's picked up a totaled type-II m800 for around 20k(from an insurance company) and got the rear hatch, one fender, rear bumper and dashboard, along with other bits and pieces for the type-II conversion. I think he sold whatever was left of the totaled car including engine for around 10k or so, and total cost for conversion to him was around 20k or so.
Old 21st May 2009, 20:45   #12
BANNED

I did this type of modification 1 year back. You can serch the link 1988 maruti 800 restoration . It cost me around 55k.

Thanks
Old 22nd May 2009, 21:16   #13
vinfriend

After going through the restoration projects here, now I'm planning to purchase second hand items to modify M800 91 to 2002 model. As per the information collected from here I should chage at least Fenders,Bonnet and Hatch(Dicky). But people are talking about Type-I,II and III fenders etc so which type should I go for? and actually what all these types mean? Can anybody tell me the approx. price of new items, and what price should i buy those in second hand market?
It would be much helpful if somebody could give a list of types of fenders,bonnet,hatch and bumbers of M800 starting from the very first model in 80s to the latest one. I think I can upgrade to the latest model also. Plz advice.

Old 23rd May 2009, 11:40   #14
BHPian

I don't think there is any difference in panels between type-II and type-III the only difference I can see is that the type-III has clear lens head and tail lights. and cheapo stickers in place of the badges that used to be in type-II . And yes, the grills are different too (IIRC type-II came with 2 grill designs)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks