Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2009, 18:42   #1
BHPian

starting my machine - Engine Swap Mod

Hey people i stay at Chennai , I am really into getting a car for myself and need a lot of help cause frankly speaking am doing this all by myself with a very tight budget .

I am looking at importing a JDM engine and then dumping into a car that i could buy here . My uncle living in Saudi will send me the required engine .
Give me few idea's on what to buy? . Honda b16a, Toyota 4age , Mitsubishi 4g92 (best it being around 1.5-1.6).

Here's the catch however after having paid for the engine i will have to buy a car to dump it into . My plan was to buy a Palio 1.2 dirt cheap (80k) and dump the engine into it . I cant afford a Honda city or a Lancer and in the small car segment only the Palio can support this swap best am guessing . Should i look for a chassis alone off cars like Esteem or city that have been crashed and done up ,my friend recently picked up an esteem chassis for 17k n did it up.

Please shed some light on what the cost would be like . I am being particular about getting the engine as of now itself is because my uncle will pay half of it .

Given an option am a die hard fan of Honda's b16a . The sweetness of the rev friendly motor is just the kind of thing am looking at .
Old 26th May 2009, 20:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well, transplanting an engine into a chassis it is never meant to be in, especially across brands, will involve a lot of custom fabrication and electrical work. Getting the parts or the car isn't the problem - getting access to a proper workshop and tuner is.

A B16A into an OHC is something that is doable, especially in the South. It may even be pretty easy.
Old 27th May 2009, 00:56   #3
BHPian

I am in college and all the money i make is from selling car parts . what do you suggest i do cause OHC is a really far fetched tin for me . is it possible to install it into a Palio ?

I have about 1.2lakhs with me as of now apart from the engine .
Old 1st June 2009, 10:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

You'll end up spending far more than what you would on an OHC with the huge work that'll be involved in getting the engine to fit and work right in a Palio. If finances are a problem, going into a complicated project, especially into untested waters, is a sureshot one way ticket to disaster.

Don't.

Experimental cars with experimental engines is fine to do in the US, UK or even car mad Poland. But here? No.

On second thought... no.
Old 2nd June 2009, 00:03   #5
BHPian

best option would be getting an OHC is it ?
Old 2nd June 2009, 10:37   #6
BHPian

Else if you have around 1.6 + 1.2 = 2.8Lakhs

Then why not look at a used Palio 1.6 for 0.8-1L and then spend the remaining 1.8 in mods. A turbo would sure rock the palio's 1.6, she'll definitely be a blaster. And since you're looking at getting some parts from the gulf, you can go in for used turbo kits salvaged from cars.
Old 9th June 2009, 01:36   #7
BHPian

Thanks bro . Will i actually get a 1.6 for that price ?
i thought it would be more on the higher side of 1.5 .
Old 9th June 2009, 08:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

If i were you, I would stay clear of the palio for modding. It really is not the most mod friendly car around. Go for something like the OHC or the lancer. But even these, on a tight budget will be a bad idea.

On a tight budget, the best thing to do would be to get a zen and plonk a baleno engine in it. Waay lesser complications and No import/ parts worries either!
Old 9th June 2009, 09:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
On a tight budget, the best thing to do would be to get a zen and plonk a baleno engine in it. Waay lesser complications and No import/ parts worries either!
But he wants to import something, remember ?

Get a contessa & plonk whatever engine & turbo you are importing into it, you would have a muscle with a powerful engine.
Old 9th June 2009, 12:20   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Get a contessa & plonk whatever engine & turbo you are importing into it, you would have a muscle with a powerful engine.
I was expecting someone to come up with this suggestion
Old 9th June 2009, 12:59   #11
BHPian

how about getting a suzuki g13 gti engine (the twin cam one!) and plonking it into an esteem or a zen, either of which can be had for around a lakh! the gti engine is almost a straight fit in the zen or the esteem and is 100bhp stock without any mods !
Old 9th June 2009, 13:18   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamir_subzero View Post
Hey people i stay at Chennai , I am really into getting a car for myself and need a lot of help cause frankly speaking am doing this all by myself with a very tight budget .

I am looking at importing a JDM engine and then dumping into a car that i could buy here . My uncle living in Saudi will send me the required engine .
Give me few idea's on what to buy? . Honda b16a, Toyota 4age , Mitsubishi 4g92 (best it being around 1.5-1.6).

Here's the catch however after having paid for the engine i will have to buy a car to dump it into . My plan was to buy a Palio 1.2 dirt cheap (80k) and dump the engine into it . I cant afford a Honda city or a Lancer and in the small car segment only the Palio can support this swap best am guessing . Should i look for a chassis alone off cars like Esteem or city that have been crashed and done up ,my friend recently picked up an esteem chassis for 17k n did it up.

Please shed some light on what the cost would be like . I am being particular about getting the engine as of now itself is because my uncle will pay half of it .

Given an option am a die hard fan of Honda's b16a . The sweetness of the rev friendly motor is just the kind of thing am looking at .

I would suggest you to go for a 1.3 OHC, its so cheap and you can get a B16A block and swap easily than a Pailo. As you are not going to use you 90bhp 1.3 engine you can sell it also. I guess 1.3 OHC will be available in MH for around 1L. And palio is not an ideal used car buy.
Old 9th June 2009, 20:53   #13
BHPian

Go ahead and buy yourself a 1.3 OHC. Plonk a b16a or a b16b. Keep the engine NA and have fun with it.

Cheers
Shrey
Old 9th June 2009, 22:50   #14
BHPian

I really don't see the issue with an FI palio. It's got a good robust engine which will withstand at least 9psi on the daily, for ECU we have options like RD and Tuned-i chips, also some others I believe. The car is built like a tank, the chassis definitely overengineered for the 100bhp it puts out stock. Also there is good potential for weight reduction with fiber hood and hatch.

The OP is in chennai, means he has access to Electra and Leela, who are acclaimed tuners.

Somehow I don't see the issue there...
Old 21st October 2009, 02:42   #15
BHPian

Hey people thank you all for all the suggestions .I will be getting my b16a by the end of this month very excited . Will keep you all posted about it .

Most Viewed