Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2014, 16:50   #31
BHPian

Re: Car runs over a stone- Dent below the door, Help needed

Hello, Got this dent in my car a week back. I had to take a blind turn and did not notice the protruding concrete slab. Thinking of taking my car to VW service station. Do you think i need to go for a running board replacement? Or can the dent be repaired?
Attached Thumbnails
Car runs over a stone- Dent below the door, Help needed-leftrunningboarddent.gif  

Old 27th October 2014, 19:02   #32
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napo View Post
Hello, Got this dent in my car a week back. I had to take a blind turn and did not notice the protruding concrete slab. Thinking of taking my car to VW service station. Do you think i need to go for a running board replacement? Or can the dent be repaired?

Go to TREND AUTO on Hosur Road. There is a whole thread about TREND.
The owners Dinesh, Aneesh and Satheesh will certainly be pleased to do what best they can for you. They are very good in this Dent removal and tinkering business.
In fact, my Yeti has now suffered a small but visible dent on the rear hatch door caused probably by some infidel with a Hydrogen Bomb or Rocket or something, during Diwali.
I m planning to take the car there over the next few days sometime, to get it fixed. They have done work on my Yeti and my Dad's I20 a few times in cases like the above and they are very good. Importantly, compared with the Dealer Workshops these guys are reasonably priced too.If you wish, you can mention that you're a TBHP member and that I recommended that you see them - I know them well and they are nice people.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 15:34   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napo View Post
It should be repairable without cutting the running board out. Just check if the workshop has something called a spot weld dent puller.
It's basically a slide hammer working on a spot welded tip.

Under no circumstances should they punch holes into the area, and use a pick or screwdriver to pry out the dent, and then fill it up and then paint it.
Something like this picture here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...-image1502.jpg
Old 29th October 2014, 15:46   #34
BHPian

I paid 3k for removal of the same dent for my maruti zen, a few months back.
Old 29th October 2014, 16:03   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick17s View Post
I paid 3k for removal of the same dent for my maruti zen, a few months back.
A bit too much IMO. I paid Rs 2225 (incl. tax) on 5th August for the same work on my Innova.
Ofcourse I had researched the tools to be employed and shopped around for the best quote for this work with two FNGs and two dealerships.
Then I bargained hard.

Finally, I oversaw the work was done to my satisfaction.

Last edited by joybhowmik : 29th October 2014 at 16:04.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 17:18   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
A bit too much IMO. I paid Rs 2225 (incl. tax) on 5th August for the same work on my Innova.
Ofcourse I had researched the tools to be employed and shopped around for the best quote for this work with two FNGs and two dealerships.
Then I bargained hard.

Finally, I oversaw the work was done to my satisfaction.
well, it also depends on the damage, the running board of one side was totally crushed.
Old 29th October 2014, 17:34   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick17s View Post
well, it also depends on the damage, the running board of one side was totally crushed.
Not by much sir.
The majority of the dent work (if done correctly) is to strip the affected area back to bare metal first.
The subsequent use of a spot weld type dent puller to gently prod the outer sheet back to shape can take upto an hour more for the worst cases. (includes finishing the denting work included with Spoon and peen hammers) Going by current labour rates - say around 250/- to 300/- more.

The filling, primer and paint will be almost similar assuming metallic paint. There won't be much difference in cost to the surface area to be triple coated, and the single coat overall for blending to the undamaged area. Of course, there would be some difference due to the respective lengths of the running boards , but that would be in inches not feet.

To be honest, the first dealer I tried with had quoted me Rs 3.5 k (exclusive of tax). Both FNGs quoted between 1.5 to 2 k - but did not have the dent puller , and I did not want my running board looking like a piece of swiss cheese while they were at it. So I finally went to my regular dealer, and bargained to bring the price down by pointing out that they won't really be taking the entire running board to bare metal. It took some time though. It helped that I know most of the staff by name.

Last edited by joybhowmik : 29th October 2014 at 17:35.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 20:06   #38
Senior - BHPian

I had a similar incident with my Civic 2.5 years ago and the running board was damaged. Took it to HASS who got it back in shape for 4K INR. They used a dent puller, of course. The car was with them for 2 days.
Old 30th June 2017, 13:09   #39
BHPian

I got a similar type of dent with my 3 months old Aspire.

My first scratch along with a dent.

It was dark, drizzling and the section of that road wasn't well lit. I was trying to do a parallel parking between 2 other parked cars. I thought I had done the basics right. Asked a colleague to check the left and rear gap while I tried to squeeze the car in. I also turned the LHS ORVM to extreme down position to keep an eye on the pavement line.

However for some unknown reason, there was a bulge in the pavement line. That neither came in the view of the LHS ORVM nor to my colleague's attention. Who was busy trying to guide me with the rear gap.

...|
...|
...|
...|
....\
.....)
..../
...|
...|
...|
...|

Sadly, my car touched the bulge and there it was, my first dent and scratch.

I am so sad. I have not looked at my car ever since this has happened. For past two days, it is parked at my home and I am unable to go near it.
Attached Thumbnails
Car runs over a stone- Dent below the door, Help needed-photo_20170628_183210.jpg  

Last edited by NaXal : 30th June 2017 at 13:10.
Old 30th June 2017, 13:24   #40
BHPian

The car's running board appears to have taken an impact and damaged. Honestly honestly the running board in in any car one of the most tricky ones to be repaired since it is fixed to the frame of the car right from manufacturing stage and there is not enough space for hammering the dent out. One way is to have pieces welded to that area and pulled out and then fixed. Alternatively, that portion would need to be cut and replaced. It would also change the strength of that portion of the running board.

If you are particular about fixing it, go ahead keeping in mind the effects.
However, like many have suggested, it is something that you could well live with. I have had a similar damage on my Santro and I have lived with the deformation.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 14:11   #41
BHPian

Agree with you that cutting definitely weakens the metal and would not be my first choice. I had got the running board of my car also fixed earlier this month and I made sure that the service centre body shop use the puller and not cut anything. Thankfully there was no puncture damage in the metal hence it was possible to work out via pulling.
Old 1st July 2017, 18:51   #42
BHPian

I spent an entire day in a near by local garage. They used something called "putty" to fill the dent and then went ahead with painting.

Job isn't perfect, rather I would say 90-95% accuracy with his paint work. But at-least the issue is now unnoticeable to most unless I point to that specif area to draw their attention.

Rs. 1200/- I was charged for this work.
Attached Thumbnails
Car runs over a stone- Dent below the door, Help needed-car_03.jpg  

Car runs over a stone- Dent below the door, Help needed-car_04.jpg  

Car runs over a stone- Dent below the door, Help needed-car_02.jpg  

Car runs over a stone- Dent below the door, Help needed-car_01.jpg  

Last edited by NaXal : 1st July 2017 at 19:00.
Old 11th April 2020, 01:15   #43
BHPian

Had this bad dent the other day in Sion, Mumbai. Looking for recommendations on getting this fixed. What are my options in terms of methods to get this fixed?

1. Putting holes, pull out the dent, fill with putty. Not great output and durable over long term I assume.
2. Replace running board. How easy or tough this is? Costs involved?
3. Paintless dent removal? But what about the doors?
4. Any other better way out?

Would prefer to not claim insurance.
Attached Thumbnails
Car runs over a stone- Dent below the door, Help needed-img_20200408_085054.jpg  

Car runs over a stone- Dent below the door, Help needed-img_20200408_085101.jpg  

Car runs over a stone- Dent below the door, Help needed-img_20200408_085040.jpg  

Old 14th August 2022, 10:26   #44
BHPian

I need help in dealing with this incident on my new Honda City I bought 6 weeks back! Thanks to the horrible roads of Wagholi (Pune) I couldn't see a concrete stone jutting around the corner in a waterlogged street as it was submerged. But I can't help but blame myself for not being extra careful
But I have to move on and get this fixed, my questions -
1) I am thinking I should approach the Honda Service since the car is new, but does it make sense. Should I check with local Body Workshops first?
2) Can the running board be replaced completely or with they cut it out, straighten and fix it back? Does it affect the structural rigidity of the frame?
3) As you can see in the last image - Is it just the running board that has been dented or is it the frame too?

I need some guidance and tips guys, not able to go near my car, took these pictures with a heavy heart!
Attached Thumbnails
Car runs over a stone- Dent below the door, Help needed-img_2531_edited.jpg  

Car runs over a stone- Dent below the door, Help needed-img_2532_edited.jpg  

Car runs over a stone- Dent below the door, Help needed-img_2533_edited.jpg  

c@rwate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 14:40   #45
BHPian

Update -
Went to the Honda service center and the contrary to my estimate of ~10K (was not planning to make an insurance claim), the advisor suggested I make a claim since it would cost ~40K to replace the running board and paint the doors.
Just dropped the car at the body shop. Will keep this forum posted.
c@rwate is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks