Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2009, 13:45   #1
BHPian

Stranded - the electronic way!! (Engine cut-out by Security System)

Mods: Please move this thread to a more appropriate location if required.

It all started with my wife's food pangs!! It was 9PM and she wanted a pizza!!! The nearest outlet was half an hour away and so, not to keep her waiting, we reached the outlet by 9:30.

In the previous few days, my car security system was giving me adequate warnings, which I did not heed to. The car would not unlock at the first press of the button and she required a few pats to get going.

After the pizza , when I wanted to unlock the car, she refused!! Now the time was 10:30 and I had 25 Kms away from town to go!! Opening the car was not a problem with the keys, but since my security system also had a engine cut out, there was no way to start the car. Frantically, I tried all possible means to start he or to disarm the security system, but failed. A search for a battery at that hour proved futile. Finally, with no other means left, I contacted my guys back at base and found a guy whose remote used a similar battery. The guy cane to the scene by around 1200 and we got back home by 1230.

Lessons Learnt:

1. Change the battery of the security remote at the first sign of it going weak.

2. Always keep a spare battery in the glove box.
Old 23rd June 2009, 13:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Mods: Please move this thread to a more appropriate location if required.
You could call this thread the flip side of modifications. Thankfully, I do not have an engine immobilizer. I do wait for the remote to stop functioning before changing the battery. lol
Old 23rd June 2009, 14:33   #3
BHPian

I was lucky enough last month when similar thing happened to my remote, luckily it worked once after 40-50 retries and some wait, and we were back home.
Old 23rd June 2009, 14:51   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

The engine immobilizer with a remote locking system really shouldnt be as feared as it is by users. Its configurable and can be unlocked - the procedure is almost always mentioned in the user manual. Its always a good idea to have the technician demonstrate the configuration process of a remote locking system once.

I'm citing my own example here.
Old 23rd June 2009, 16:44   #5
BHPian

I never had any security system in my cars and Once I got stuck while driving some other car. Called Mechanic. he said Boss, if you buy security system, Learn to use it as well ! I should have read the manual :(
Old 24th June 2009, 01:47   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
The engine immobilizer with a remote locking system really shouldnt be as feared as it is by users. Its configurable and can be unlocked - the procedure is almost always mentioned in the user manual. I here.
Good point...will try and get to the bottom of my system!!
Old 24th June 2009, 14:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

One of our mechanic once forgot to use the remote and the engine immobilizer was armed. He started our car by simply disconnecting and reconnecting the battery terminal. Is this normal with all the security systems or only crosslink wheels acts this way?
Old 24th June 2009, 18:33   #8
BHPian

In my case my car doors got locked with the key still inside at the service station, thankfully the bonnet was open, the mechanic opened the battery and tapped the connextor against the terminal a few times, the locks popped open.
Old 24th June 2009, 21:59   #9
BHPian

What is the life of the battery? Its nearlly 3.5 yrs i have not changed any battery.

theMAG your note was very informative.

Now I know i should read the manual in detail so i do not get stranded.
Old 24th June 2009, 22:59   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I make sure to change battery on my car remote every few months,i do not wait for signs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks