Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2009, 17:17   #1

Technical advise required - Qualis

dear All,

- Is it possible to increase the width of a Toyota Qualis other than using spacers?
- what are the technical points to be noted while lengthening the chasis?
- where can all these mods done in kerala?
- is it also possible to change the wheel drum. for ex. suppose Toyota Innova wheel drum is 5 bolts. can i change it to a 6 bolt drum of a Toyota Prado?
does anyone knows about such modification has done to any vehicle so far?
kindly advise.
Old 12th August 2009, 19:02   #2
Team-BHP Support

I hope you have seriously thought about these??! i personally wouldnt advice on attempting such feats here in India. And in mod scene anything is possible for a price. But ensure you dont land paying up with reliability of the vehicle, with such attempts.

See if you can find any kits imported from Thailand or someplace which used to sell this model, then it will be an easier job.

But being curious let me just ask you, why do you want to do it? Are you planning a Mod job on the Qualis to make it look like a Prado?
Old 12th August 2009, 19:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Dear AlfaRomeo and Jassi

The name of the thread originator suggests what he wants his Qualis to feel like!!!
Old 13th August 2009, 01:08   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

But being curious let me just ask you, why do you want to do it? Are you planning a Mod job on the Qualis to make it look like a Prado?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Dear AlfaRomeo and Jassi

The name of the thread originator suggests what he wants his Qualis to feel like!!!
Dear Jaggu and Jassi

Not exactly! i do know it would be a weird/wacky job to modify a qualis to prado. more precisely, it is beyond imagination.
The drum (of prado) was just an example to know the difference of the bolt pattern. my question was, whether, is it possible to change the drum/bolt pattern of a vehicle?
Old 13th August 2009, 10:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaRomeo View Post
Dear Jaggu and Jassi

Not exactly! i do know it would be a weird/wacky job to modify a qualis to prado. more precisely, it is beyond imagination.
The drum (of prado) was just an example to know the difference of the bolt pattern. my question was, whether, is it possible to change the drum/bolt pattern of a vehicle?
It is not advisable otherwise to perform any serious mods atleast not over braking component of car.

Any specific reason that why you are looking for such mod ??
Old 13th August 2009, 10:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Using spacers to increase width would increase lots of stress on axles and it may break under extrema conditions as well.

May be you can fit the bigger Alloys like 8J with same bolt pattern and fit wider tyres if the mod is just for the looks. but this would also increase load on power steering setup but still better then fitting spacers.

About fitting drum with different bolt pattern I have no clear idea but theoretically you need to check about load on axles.
Old 13th August 2009, 11:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaRomeo View Post
- Is it possible to increase the width of a Toyota Qualis other than using spacers?
- what are the technical points to be noted while lengthening the chasis?
I'm not even clear what you want to do!
Increase the track or the length?
Old 13th August 2009, 11:40   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Using spacers to increase width would increase lots of stress on axles and it may break under extrema conditions as well.

May be you can fit the bigger Alloys like 8J with same bolt pattern and fit wider tyres if the mod is just for the looks. but this would also increase load on power steering setup but still better then fitting spacers.

About fitting drum with different bolt pattern I have no clear idea but theoretically you need to check about load on axles.
thank you so much. Mr. amitk

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I'm not even clear what you want to do!
Increase the track or the length?
Both. i want to increase legth of chasis and width(is it called 'track'?) as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
It is not advisable otherwise to perform any serious mods atleast not over braking component of car.

Any specific reason that why you are looking for such mod ??
More specifically, i'm not at all impressed by the shape of qualis, but with ultimate driving performance and to retain the same with qualis engine , i intend/plan to replace complete outer shell/body of a qualis with another one. but if the replacing body/shell is bigger than qualis, i need to increase the width and length accordingly. is this modification advisable/possible? can anyone throw some light on this?
Old 13th August 2009, 12:10   #9
Team-BHP Support

There is somebody who does major body facelift in Kottayam IIIRC, crazy diablo had posted some pics. Try to get in touch with them.

As far as mechanicals go, its best not to tamper, instead a good body reshaping will give the balanced look for the car. Maybe a nice alloy and tires to add a hunk look.
Old 13th August 2009, 13:26   #10
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota had displayed a wide-body Qualis in one of the Auto shows. It wouldnt have looked out of place in a Paris-Dakar rally. Cant seem to find a pic of it.
Old 13th August 2009, 15:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

@AlfaRomeo,

Not sure the question on increasing width using spacer, since as per my understanding, you can increase the ground clearance (that is height) using spacers; but width? How??

Maybe you just want balloon tires. But then again, why?

And the length - why? Qualis is a long enough vehicle, why increase it further.

I reckon, you will find that suggestion and question are going to be totally disconnected till you tell us what is that you have in your mind.

And mind you, Qualis, even with the match box shape it has, is a beautiful well crafted vehicle in terms of ride quality and drive quality. Playing around with the width / length etc will ruin a perfect built. You stand to lose more than gain.

So, the question again - why?
Old 14th August 2009, 01:58   #12

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
@AlfaRomeo,

And the length - why? Qualis is a long enough vehicle, why increase it further.

I reckon, you will find that suggestion and question are going to be totally disconnected till you tell us what is that you have in your mind.

And mind you, Qualis, even with the match box shape it has, is a beautiful well crafted vehicle in terms of ride quality and drive quality. Playing around with the width / length etc will ruin a perfect built. You stand to lose more than gain.

So, the question again - why?
Hi there Happywheels,
my project is, if applicable, replacing the outer shell/body with a 'cherokee sport' one (picure enclosed). hope this clarifies your doubts why i'm behind such technical queries.
How far is this mod advisable?

jeep cherokee sport picture
Attached Thumbnails
Technical advise required - Qualis-2000_jeep_cherokee_6002e.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th August 2009 at 07:12.
Old 3rd September 2010, 22:33   #13
BHPian

hi,

the qualis indicators have become a pain. any solution to this manufacturing defect? they keep popping out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks