Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2009, 17:36   #1
BHPian

Fiat Siena - Turbo diesel performance issue - Should i tune?

Hello all,

I have a Fiat Siena Turbo diesel 99 model. Its done close to 1,20,000. These days, the engine feels sluggish. I am also not sure if the turbo is working! When the car was new, i could hear that 'turbo shoowsh' sound kicking in..now a days, i dont hear that much.

Been many times in these years for maintanance, is there a possibility that the Fiat mechanics must have srewed up with the turbo system?

Another problem, i face now a days is the drop in pulling/power when i turn on the AC. As soon as the AC is turned on and in second gear especially, the pulling is horrible. I have to turn off the AC and then turn on after the car picks up acceleration. Is there any solution to this problem? Such as Pete's tuning kit or some tuning solution? I had done a pump calibration by the dealer, but i dont feel it made much of a difference. That was some 1 or 2 years back.

Also, the car is in need of a paint job. Can you suggest any shop in bangalore who does a economical but quality paint job ? It would be great if you could also suggest me any good trustworthy fiat repair shops in Bangalore who can get the engine performance back and other mechanical repairs..
Old 19th August 2009, 00:35   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Well, in the simplest explanation, its called "aging". Your car is growing old .

Two things that you need to get checked:

1. The engine : How healthy is it, considering that the car has run 1.2 lakh kms. Highly recommend a compression test. It's easier to rebuild a running engine than one that's conked off.

2. The turbo : If your daily running entails short trips, and you haven't followed the 1 minute idle before starting off / shutting down, good chance that your turbo is shot.

Update us on the diagnosis so that we can advise further.

WRT the Bangalore paint booths, please search within the forum.
Old 19th August 2009, 21:24   #3
BHPian

Thanks GTO for the reply.

Some doubts on what you suggested:

Where should i show the car for an engine compression test - Mico Bosch kinda places? How much would it cost?

I think i havent followed the 1 minute iddling of late, but if it is shot is it repearable? What should i tell the mechanic?

Thanks again for the help
Old 20th August 2009, 10:28   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Best diagnosed at a large workshop, smaller shops won't have the relevant equipment.

Yes, it can be overhauled.
Old 25th August 2009, 12:51   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Well, in the simplest explanation, its called "aging". Your car is growing old .

Two things that you need to get checked:

1. The engine : How healthy is it, considering that the car has run 1.2 lakh kms. Highly recommend a compression test. It's easier to rebuild a running engine than one that's conked off.

2. The turbo : If your daily running entails short trips, and you haven't followed the 1 minute idle before starting off / shutting down, good chance that your turbo is shot.

Update us on the diagnosis so that we can advise further.

WRT the Bangalore paint booths, please search within the forum.
Hi GTO,

i had it shown in A.S.S, and the fiat engineer is telling the turbo is blown and the oil leakage is present. He says i need to replace the turbo which will cost 16 K (FiAT OEM) and says engine is in good condition. But he says, will have to check that too, once the oil leakage in or thru (he said something like that) turbo is stopped.

You think this is reasonable?
Old 26th August 2009, 00:52   #6
BHPian

In my own experience with blown turbo's your exhaust fumes should show alot of smoke on acceleration and some at idle, this experience is with diesels, is this happening?

I had a turbo failure on a ford 1.8tdi at 70k miles, approx 105k km's. Power loss was extreme, a bit like going from power steering to no power steering, this happened quite quickly, within a few days.

Last edited by stefanm : 26th August 2009 at 00:56.
Old 26th August 2009, 10:39   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanm View Post
In my own experience with blown turbo's your exhaust fumes should show alot of smoke on acceleration and some at idle, this experience is with diesels, is this happening?

I had a turbo failure on a ford 1.8tdi at 70k miles, approx 105k km's. Power loss was extreme, a bit like going from power steering to no power steering, this happened quite quickly, within a few days.
Hi Stefanm,

Yes, when i accelerate, there is a thick black smoke - which is unusal in the car. And when i idle, it doesnt show much.

There is no extreme power loss - which is what i feel, but yes, pulling is low and when i turn on AC, it gets even bad.

The service engineer says, oil leak is happening very slowly as the turbo lubricates the engine with some oil supply.

I returned from the A.S.S today, he says will have to order the turbo in advance. After the routine service, the car is smooth now. I had central lock problem with one door and boot lock and the cost they quote is 4 K and 1.5 K respec, does it cost this much ?
Old 26th August 2009, 17:41   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I thought as much. With our short driving distances, and most people not following the 1 minute idle (at the time of shutting down), turbos usually wear out by 1 - 1.5 lakh kms. Good time to get it replaced. If you intend to keep the car for long, I'd suggest you proceed with the Fiat OEM part itself. Out of curiosity, can't he overhaul the current turbo?

May also be a good time to have the engine checked (just in case) if, again, you intend to keep the car for long.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks