Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2009, 21:47   #1

help regarding making my own hydraulic handbrake!!

Ok guys, i have come up with a new project.

I want to install a hydraulic handbrake in my car (esteem).
But the problem is, i dont wanna buy a hydraulic handbrake kit. I wanna make one on my own, so can you guys tell me if it is possible to make one using an esteem or maruti 800's master cylinder.

A hydrolic handbrake kit costs about $300, whereas a normal master cylinder costs about Rs.1000-1500.

So its way cheaper, i have been doing quiet a lot of research on this topic on the internet and have found that we have to connect the new m/c in series. I just wanna know if we can use a normal m/c thats all. Hope to hear from someone soon.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th August 2009 at 21:56. Reason: Please use proper punctuation and avoid.. typing.... like... this... Readability. Thanks
Old 21st August 2009, 00:16   #2
BANNED

I believe it can be done
1.) You can reroute ur handbrake cable to the booster pin .When u engage handbrake all ur brake swill be working but , brake lights will be on also here.
2.) Buy another booster 2500Rs for M800 , connect in series to the vaccum pipe .And use the handbrake cable to engage it .But this will require rework on ur brake pipes .

It would be better why you want it .
Is it for drifting ??
Old 21st August 2009, 10:16   #3
BANNED

Hydraulic Handbrakes: They can be dangerous. The risk of hydraulics leaking are far more that that of a wire breaking.

Also, they are used as emergency brakes - now if you tap into the same circuit then in the even of a hydraulics failure where is the backup!

Thus at best you must install a parallel hydraulic circuit, linking independently to another set of brake cylinders.

Not worth the effort and too risky in my view.
Old 21st August 2009, 17:47   #4
Team-BHP Support

Abhishek564,

Just one question - why do you want a hydraulic handbrake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
...Also, they are used as emergency brakes - now if you tap into the same circuit then in the even of a hydraulics failure where is the backup! ...
I agree. Exactly what i have said in the link below :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...handbrake.html

As i see it, the only advantage of a hydraulic handbrake is for a rally type application, where it is used for maneuvering the car, as opposed to as an emergency/backup brake (street use).

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st August 2009 at 17:51.
Old 21st August 2009, 22:18   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Hydraulic Handbrakes: They can be dangerous. The risk of hydraulics leaking are far more that that of a wire breaking.

Also, they are used as emergency brakes - now if you tap into the same circuit then in the even of a hydraulics failure where is the backup!

Thus at best you must install a parallel hydraulic circuit, linking independently to another set of brake cylinders.

Not worth the effort and too risky in my view.

sgiitk.
the hydraulic handbrake when installed in a car does not disturb the normal (cable operated ) e-brake. its plumbed in the brake line in series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
I believe it can be done
1.) You can reroute ur handbrake cable to the booster pin .When u engage handbrake all ur brake swill be working but , brake lights will be on also here.
2.) Buy another booster 2500Rs for M800 , connect in series to the vaccum pipe .And use the handbrake cable to engage it .But this will require rework on ur brake pipes .

It would be better why you want it .
Is it for drifting ??

trust in thrust.

thanks for the input,but i wasn't planning to do it that way.

i was thinking of leaving the cable operated e-brake as it is and installing a new handbrake with a master cylinder (the same sort of setup as comes with the kit) and this would be plumbed in line with the original brake line which goes to the rear wheels

i am doing this because i want to start rallying and i've quiet a big field near my place to practice maneuvering my car, for which i'll be needing my hydraulic handbrake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Abhishek564,

Just one question - why do you want a hydraulic handbrake?

I agree. Exactly what i have said in the link below :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...handbrake.html

As i see it, the only advantage of a hydraulic handbrake is for a rally type application, where it is used for maneuvering the car, as opposed to as an emergency/backup brake (street use).

cya
R

dear rehaan,

i want it for rally application...and by the way the cable operated handbrake will not get affected by this in anyway.

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st August 2009 at 23:24. Reason: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote instead. Thanks
Old 22nd August 2009, 00:43   #6
BANNED

If you just want to lock the tyres with hydraulic then it can be done in your current set up to aid drift/ rear lock .Yes you can go for a parallel set up as all it will need is a new handbrake lever or maybe you can fix another pedal and link it to the new booster .(A car with four pedals will be cool ).
personally i would suggest just keep the rear drums in good shape and ask your mechanic to keep the play in e-brake minimum and it will atleast give you enough bite.Also you can go in for bigger drums at rear.
Old 22nd August 2009, 13:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
you can go in for bigger drums at rear.

hey trust in thrust thanks again.

one more thing I wanted to know ,is it possible to replace the drum brakes with disc brakes as this would be more helpful in locking the rear wheels.
help
Old 23rd August 2009, 00:14   #8
BANNED

I believe disc brakes can be fitted at the back but it would need precision as installing calipers will be tricky due to very less scope of error margin.Also you can try if you can get NHC Vtec rear axle along with suspension etc as this model used to come with rear discs and i hop eit can be fitted to esteem too.
But i would still stay go for bigger drums at rear and set the e-brake cable with minimal play .Also you can extend the handbrake lever to give more pulling power for the cable when braking.

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 23rd August 2009 at 00:16.
Old 23rd August 2009, 00:34   #9
BANNED

How about trying to fit inboard drums esp. for the new hand brake - a la E-type!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks