Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2009, 09:46   #1
BHPian

FIAT Adventure 1.6 Sports - Upgrading form Drum to Disc Brakes

I have FIAT Adventure 1.6 Sports.
It is quite a heavy car, and on brakes front I have always found it a bit spongy. The change of Disc pads also doesnt help much.
I am thinking to put disc brakes at rear. I tried to search on net, about the upgrade from Drum to Disc brakes, but couldn't find much.
Is it a simple job to upgrade from Drum to Disc brakes, and any workshop can do it?
Please share you knowledge base on this.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

It is not an advisable mod- more so because of the complications involved. Try alternatives like tarox rotors/ EBC for the front.

And I remember reading about a similar question (not for a Palio, though) in Team BHP earlier...
Old 27th August 2009, 13:50   #3
BHPian

It's better you tune up the existing brakes.If the workshop is not competent enough change your mechanic.It's better to live with the existing setup rather than upgrading to discs.If not done well,it could prove dangerous if your brake biasing is not proper or the disc brakes lock up or something like that.I am not an expert at this but just my comments...
Old 27th August 2009, 13:53   #4
BHPian

As others have pointed out, it is not advaisable, try to get your existing setup to perform better.
Old 27th August 2009, 14:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

How about upgrading the disc break setup with the aftermarket once...Brembos or better once ?
Old 27th August 2009, 14:06   #6
BHPian

It is not an impossible mod , consult some good garage in delhi. And for the front there are other options like a new rotor and brake pads . It costs around 25,000. Go for european make and dont go for thaiwanese . Fiat linea comes with similar brake system as that of adventure . So many performance tuners will be stocking it .
Old 27th August 2009, 14:07   #7
SUV
BHPian

You can do a upgrade provided u find a set of rear callipers .... the front callipers can be used but you wouldnt have a hand brake mechanism ... check this link for a detailed explanation and the converstion process.

Rear disc brake conversion II - The FIAT Forum
Old 27th August 2009, 14:12   #8
BHPian

Is it not advisable becuase its not so frequently done or does it really have some serious side effects.
In my limited knowledge i think that the front ones should be more sharper then rear ones, so probably i have to do something for front assembly also, like some grooved rotors with equally good pads.
I suppose there must be a complete solution sort of thing where both front and rear brakes are proposed as a configuration.
Old 27th August 2009, 14:16   #9
BHPian

@ SUB
Thanks for the link.

@ Swathyd
Are the Linea rear drums better then Adventure ones, and are both of them compatible for installation?
Old 27th August 2009, 14:57   #10
BHPian

Lineas have identical front brakes with that of adventure , i dont know about its rear braking system .
Old 27th August 2009, 16:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsraghav View Post
Is it not advisable becuase its not so frequently done or does it really have some serious side effects.

It is not as bad as most of the people have put here. Fast and powerful cars need better braking os anyplace doing up good engine mods can handle this as well, this is not a mod which any workshop can handle. This has to be done perfectly with great aftersales support. There are many competent places in Delhi/NCR who can handle this, question is finding the right place. Any ways first you have to decide what kind of breaking power you need, its not always better to go to a modifier and tell him that you need 4 disks because you breaks sucks, they will try fleecing money, so first decide do you want.

Better than the stock?
You need better pads and a bigger roter

Much better than the stock?
you need cross drilled rotors and performance pads

Need to stop a really fast car ?
Put rear discs and performance pads

Need to stop really really fast car ?
Put 4 cross drilled rotors

I hope i made some sense
Old 27th August 2009, 18:05   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There are many competent places in Delhi/NCR who can handle this, question is finding the right place.
I'm sorry, but I simply don't buy that. The braking system, we will agree, is MOST integral to the safety of the car's occupants (and others on the road). Converting a braking system from drum to disc is a MASSIVE complication and involves sourcing the right parts, plumbing, calibration, balance and reliability. It is beyond the scope of most Indian shops to do a reliable job. Good luck with finding the right shop, though when you consider less than 0.01% of the garages out there could do a satisfactory job, your probability of ending up with a reliable drum -> disc conversion is just as miniscule.

Or maybe I'm just one of those types who would trust a factory fit, more than an after-market, for a device which my life is dependent on.

IIRC, Viper's OHC (search forum) was converted to rear disc. He switched back within a short while due to problems.

@ hrsraghav : Please refer to this thread for more information on improving your cars brakes.

Last edited by GTO : 27th August 2009 at 18:07.
Old 27th August 2009, 18:27   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsraghav View Post
I have FIAT Adventure 1.6 Sports.
It is quite a heavy car, and on brakes front I have always found it a bit spongy. The change of Disc pads also doesnt help much.
I am thinking to put disc brakes at rear. I tried to search on net, about the upgrade from Drum to Disc brakes, but couldn't find much.
Is it a simple job to upgrade from Drum to Disc brakes, and any workshop can do it?
Please share you knowledge base on this.
Not advisable. I doubt even fiat service will be able to do the job which means the chances of getting this done from "outside" are next to none. if you see risk-reward ratio you are better off staying away from doing the mod.
Old 28th August 2009, 09:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm sorry, but I simply don't buy that. The braking system, we will agree, is MOST integral to the safety of the car's occupants (and others on the road). Converting a braking system from drum to disc is a MASSIVE complication and involves sourcing the right parts, plumbing, calibration, balance and reliability. It is beyond the scope of most Indian shops to do a reliable job.
I totally agree with you on this. The only problem is getting the right parts and getting the right place which knows what they are doing. The mod scene in india is improving leaps and bounds and one bad experiance that viper might have due to faulty installation cannot deem this mod not worth trying. The actual question is does he actually need that kind of breaks to stop a stock car(he has not mentioned any mods). I agree that even authorised service centers dont take this up, not only because of the complications involved but how many actually get this done. Any ways my intention is to let harsha know that he might not need what he is looking for.

Pramod
Old 28th August 2009, 09:52   #15
BHPian

In almost all the brake upgrade threads that I've seen on the forum - there was one common thing that stands out.

Most people get satisfactory braking just by making sure that the stock setup is in top shape. So please get your brakes overhauled, replace the brake fluid, pads and (maybe the front disks too) then post your feedback. Stock brakes are almost always adequate for a stock car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks