Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2009, 00:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Stage I for the mitsubishi lancer.

Since the car has done 85K but still running strong, I have got the required permits from higher authorities (read parents) to sign up my lancer for the first level Modifications and enter the lightweight power lifting competition.

I went to The Automators (Also Neighborhood Motors) who already service both our cars. They are also the authorized dealers for Pete's, K&N, Yokohama etc. I think they are good than most others in the city as their name has appeared in most magazines and websites as the authorized dealers. The guy let me drive his souped up getz to know how performance has changed with the upgrades he carried out on his own personal car.

Here are the prices quoted. Are they valid and are the choices good?
PS: I am doing this for a smoother ride and fat mid-range. I dont plan to convert it into a road racer.

1. Stock replacement K&N filter. 6290/-
He also has pipercross and Green but said K&N has better performance. I do trust him as I mostly see K&N everywhere. What do you all think? I have heard that Pipercross foam filters are supposed to perform better in dirty conditions.

Also he suggested against the typhoon filter with CAI kit as it makes more noise and that not every mechanic in the city can clean the car with care. I agree, there are chances that water may get into the engine.

2. 4 point iridium spark plugs: 2850/-
I dont see the need as per what I have read but he stressed that for Indian fuel its necessary. Worthwhile?

3. Performance cables: 1500/-
To complements the above mentioned mods?

4. Remus FFE: 13499/-
It is street legal. He has assured me that it doesnt make much noise. I am not getting the 4-2-1 headers coz the guy said it means I have to remove the cat con and he suggested that I keep it. How about HKS FFE End can? How much and where can I get it from?

5. fitment cost- 850/-

6. Synthetic oil 4000/-
The car has run all along on mineral oil so I intend to get it decarbonized and flushed and run for the next 20K on synthetic. If I am not satisfied I will switch back to mineral oil.

7. Exedy performance clutch: price????
He mentioned I should get it the next time. Have not changed the clutch until now.

8. philips white bulbs: 650-950/-
I was intending to go for a bi-xenon HID after market unit but the modder suggested against it. Said I should stick to the stock unit.

9. momo steering wheel:
He suggested I stick to the company steering wheel. The leather cover which has worn out will be replaced.

I am keeping the stock 14" alloys and the michelin xm1 tyres (will be replaced by yokohama at 1,00,000.) I asked for Koni shocks as my rear suspension has really gone soft. He said I dont need it and that he will tweak it for me.

total price for 1-6 = 28989/-

Last edited by devarshi84 : 8th September 2009 at 00:16.
Old 8th September 2009, 00:10   #2
Team-BHP Support

well you wont get much gain with just the plugs, cables and air filter. the so called ffe is just an end can and will increase sound and nothing else. if you want an increase get a conical air filter, full free flow (with headers removing cat) and then plugs, wires, standalone ecu...
Old 8th September 2009, 00:15   #3
BHPian

@ Devarshi. Are you talking about Automators on SG Highway. who also run the Hyundai Service Station in basement ? Nr. Millennium.
btw. pretty nice mod list. would love to see it once done.
Old 8th September 2009, 00:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yes? Any impressions on them?

We can have a t-bhp first meet in Ahmedabad I guess.
Old 8th September 2009, 00:33   #5
BHPian

Well. I have met that guy once for K&N filter for my karizma.but he didn't respond it well.
amm you better try out Kunal Motors. he has pretty good knowledge in mods.
yea Go ahead and post the thread. lets have a 1st meet.
Old 8th September 2009, 00:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

nice project :-)

Try putting a FSE FPR since the low rpm fuel mixture is tuned too lean, and this can give you better pull from low rpms in a gear ...
Old 8th September 2009, 00:49   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Kindly stay away from the plugs and wires. They do nothing to your car, other than making the shop guy's wallet a bit thicker.

Kindly make sure, your CAI is done properly and isn't sucking hot air. If not you will lose out on performance than gaining.

Remus exhausts have less bass, they sound more like rally cars. I don't like the sound personally, so its better if you listen to another car with a similar exhaust before taking the plunge. HKS end can IIRC is upward of 10k. Also remember, just an end can won't make your car go any faster. To better your mid-range, what you need is 4-2-1 headers tuned properly. Even with headers and an air filter at most you might get 5% increase in performance. Don't expect more.

Switching to synthetic oil is a good choice. Exedy stage 1 clutches are good. Don't go in for the stage 2 at any cost. Its just a waste of money unless you are putting out some serious power.

There is no point in getting a FPR unless you are able to feed in lots more air and get a control over the ignition timing. You are only going to end up running rich, which once again brings down your performance.
Old 8th September 2009, 00:54   #8
Team-BHP Support

I agree with lancer_rit. The 4G15 needa an FPR as a basic upgrade as the low-mid rpm mixture is lean.

All the rest of the mods are ok. An end can will not have any effect on performance. You will need the full FFE with headers as akshay pointed out.

You definitely need the FPR.
Old 8th September 2009, 01:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

What is an FPR?

Why should I remove the catcon?

I am only getting a Stock replacement filter. So I dont need the CAI.

@nisarg: Where is Kunal motors?

PS: As I said before performance gains for me here are just a plus. I am doing this for better driveability of my car and longetivity. Anything that hampers the quality or general performance is a strict no-no.
Old 8th September 2009, 01:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
What is an FPR?
Fuel Pressure Regulator also called Power Boost Valves. See this link
PowerBoostValve. FSE Mitsubishi Lancer MR1600 1992> Power Boost Valve (VK-384-MIT-H)

@mclaren : The Lancer needs a FPR which boosts fuel to air ratio at close to idle rpm since the ECU is tuned too lean...
Old 8th September 2009, 01:42   #11
BHPian

Devarshi. it is nr. shivranjani cross road.Top Floor HP Petrol Pump.
I am pming his number and ask him for mods.
Old 8th September 2009, 01:52   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
@mclaren : The Lancer needs a FPR which boosts fuel to air ratio at close to idle rpm since the ECU is tuned too lean...
Ok! Agreed it runs lean initially. So you will pump in more fuel. What about the performance at WOT? Won't it run rich? I hope you do know that running rich decreases performance, keeps the engine cool though.
Old 8th September 2009, 02:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Ok! Agreed it runs lean initially. So you will pump in more fuel. What about the performance at WOT? Won't it run rich? I hope you do know that running rich decreases performance, keeps the engine cool though.
This FPR is non-linear. It boots pressure by 1.7:1 at idle rpms, and once the rpm picks up, it reverts to 1:1. So, no problems with mixture at higher throttle etc ...
Old 8th September 2009, 04:42   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
4. Remus FFE: 13499/-
It is street legal. He has assured me that it doesnt make much noise. I am not getting the 4-2-1 headers coz the guy said it means I have to remove the cat con and he suggested that I keep it. How about HKS FFE End can? How much and where can I get it from?
First of all, a FFE is a free flow exhaust in which the cat con HAS to be removed, else it wont be a FFE, 13.5k for a mild steel FFE is just a little high, including Headers, pipe and end can, but not removing the cat con and taking basic 13.5k for only the end can is a complete rip off, the end can gives only the sound and nothing else, so he is ripping you off, it you meant 1.35k den no he isnt.

The oil change you should get, and a stock replacement air filter wont make much of a difference, you should consider the conical ones.
As akshay suggested, get a ECU that will REALLY help.

Last edited by abhayshanu : 8th September 2009 at 04:45.
Old 8th September 2009, 08:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
First of all, a FFE is a free flow exhaust in which the cat con HAS to be removed, else it wont be a FFE,
Yes and no. The catcon does restrict the exhause, however, Removing catcon is illegal. RPW in Australia make free flow exhausts including the catcon. Sometimes they replace the catcon with a less restrictive unit ...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks