Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2005, 11:56   #1
BHPian

Swift Sony Stereo alleged damge during servicing

Guys - Request your views on this one, please.

July 17th 1000 hrs
Arrived at Marketing Times workshop in Okhla/New Delhi listening to Simon & Garfunkel - All good.
Handed-over the car for the first free service (820km/1month 8 days). Personally removed the front panel of the stereo (Sony CDX-R5610) along with the other nick-knacks, placed in a bag and locked in the locker provided for the purpose.

1300 hrs
Car was serviced et all and handed over to me - all this while I was in the owner's lounge with a occasional trip to check if all was going well. I checked all electrical and various fittings with the Service Engineer(SE) and was satisfied with the job. I connected the front panel of the stereo and this is where the problem surfaced.
No display.
The functions were all working well (MP3 disk played well and so did the radio but NO display - FYG the panel has a green/Red LED display). Detached and reattached the panel a few times, switched-On and off a few times but the problem persisted (The service engineer was with me throughout). Finally, did a reset of the stereo (small button prodded with a pin) but with the same result.
By then the SE summoned the accessories chappie. He tried the same stunts with the same negative results.

Fortunately, they had the same set on an "Explod demo box" available. We attached my panel to their stereo and the display was OK. Did this a few times with same positive results. Carried their panel to my stereo car and noticed the same negative results!

By then, I had arranged for the Director to be available. He was certain that the stereo could not have been mishandled during such a short service period and that too with no panel! My stand was - The thing was working (the SE confirmed the fact) when I handed-over the car and so something had gone wrong during the service.

I had bought the unit in Dubai/Jumbo Electronics a few weeks ago and got the stereo fitted, along with Sony Bill & warranty speakers at the Sony Authorized Pit-Stop in Noida. Now, since the stereo was not fitted at the workshop, they suggested that I visit the pit-stop and investigate further. The Director promised that within reasonable limits, he will bear the cost of any damages if attributed to service-related damage.

My next stop was the Pit-stop. They confirmed the problem but were clueless. The lads their disconnected the stereo from the car and stated that the best option would be get it checked by Sony Auth ASS. Noida erratic power supply have in the past buggered quite a few of my Sony products and the Sony ASS chap in Noida is well known to me. Full steam ahead to the Sony Auth ASS.

1600 hrs
At the Sony Auth ASS, the guy mentioned that this was his fifth unit in as many months - same problem and ALL registered after routine servicing of the car! It seems that their was some water/vapor ingress in the unit and a certain Diode failed (this was an assumption and my unit was opened for check-up). I asked about the cost of repairs but was told that Jumbo warranty was very much valid in India and there should be no costs involved (much to my relief!).

Status Quo
I am awaiting the return and installation of the stereo upon which will keep you all posted.

Queries
1. Is the alleged damage claim by Sony guy possible? Can water pass through the firewall?
2. The Sony guy also added that the best is to remove the unit all together before servicing! Is that needed? I do not mind doing it compared to the whole Sunday gone running from pillar to post!
3. Did my service station goof-up big time or s*** happens? Bad luck on my part? Should I put the Service Station on notice?
4. Any suggestions/precautions to keep in mind the next time and also a dig on *** happened!

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Old 18th July 2005, 12:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

removing the entire unit is an overkill. it might have just been a case which occurred. i would not worry much, also you have warranty.
Old 18th July 2005, 12:50   #3
BHPian

Next service give them very Strict instructions to take care

Also ensure that they see that it has been handed over in working condition,
appraise them of the problem that occured the previously
& ask them to ensure that it does not recur.

Taking out the whole deck everytime is a pain & why should ya?
Its their bloody job to be careful.
Old 18th July 2005, 18:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvhead
Next service give them very Strict instructions to take care

Also ensure that they see that it has been handed over in working condition,
appraise them of the problem that occured the previously
& ask them to ensure that it does not recur.

Taking out the whole deck everytime is a pain & why should ya?
Its their bloody job to be careful.
Its very strange you experienced this. I have a Sony 5610 in my car for 6 months now and 3 services. Absolutely no problems. However unlike you I dont have a warranty, so you were lucky
Old 18th July 2005, 23:39   #5
Team-BHP Support

Hey Xsailor,

To go against the tide here, i am gonna say that i don't really think it is a fault of the service station's.
If the sony repair guys speaks of a diode that frequently fails, then it sounds more like a problem with this particular model from sony, than any fault of the service stations.
I guess hundreds of cars with music systems come in every week, and i havent really heard of this problem.

Another possibility is that the connection and disconnection of the battery might have fried the diode in the HU.

However the most shocking part of your post for me was this -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsailor
Fortunately, they had the same set on an "Explod demo box" available. We attached my panel to their stereo and the display was OK. Did this a few times with same positive results.
Arent HU panels supposed to only work with THE head unit it came with and no other headunit (even of the same model)????

cya
R
Old 19th July 2005, 08:42   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Arent HU panels supposed to only work with THE head unit it came with and no other headunit (even of the same model)????
Dunno, Mate!

Perhaps other members might wanna shed some light on this aspect.

Your "against-the-tide" point noted. Yes, it sure is a possibility. More on this when I receive the system back from Sony - I intend to ask him the defect and possible causes.
Will keep you all posted.

Also will check with the S/Station if they disconnected the battery at any time.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Cheers
Old 19th July 2005, 09:18   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Xsailor,
However the most shocking part of your post for me was this -

cya
R

It depends, I think either ford or Opel had some security gizmo of that type, but most of the aftermarket stuff you get is very Interchangeable
Old 19th July 2005, 09:38   #8
BHPian

Quote:

Nope..the Panel of one Head Unit would really work with the other HU of the same model..There are certain models where in the Panel's of one model can be used with a completely different HU,But not necessary all the functions have to work...it happens to certain Pioneer HU's.
Old 20th July 2005, 12:50   #9
Team-BHP Support

Jeez!

I always thought that the point of a removable front panel was that nobody would want to steal the remainder of the deck because it wouldnt work with other panels !?!

News to me..
cya
R
Old 20th July 2005, 13:02   #10
Team-BHP Support

Dealing in stolen panels is big business. My car got broken into and they stole the faceplate and CD changer. Didn't bother with the actual head unit. Went to the shop and they were willing to sell me a "used" faceplate for Rs.2,500!! Figured I wouldn't support this business and just bought a new HU altogether.
Old 20th July 2005, 23:48   #11
BHPian

Guys,

Got the stereo back from the Sony ASS. All good.
Total damage was INR 518/- due a blown diode.
The Sony guy still says that it was due to moisture ingress!

Allz well that enz well.
Old 21st July 2005, 11:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsailor
Guys,

Got the stereo back from the Sony ASS. All good.
Total damage was INR 518/- due a blown diode.
The Sony guy still says that it was due to moisture ingress!

Allz well that enz well.

Good that you got it right. It seems that you have got support to some extent from your dealer & I too don't think the fault is on the service station. There are dealers who just wash their hands saying that they have no job to get into that region
Old 21st July 2005, 20:42   #13
BHPian

@Surprise,

Could you please refer to the Query part of my first post and advise me precaution to take for the next time? No hurry, though.
Much appreciate.

I concurr with what you feel bout the Maruti SS - sweet chap their SE, infact I reported the repair story to him and he said that the company would gladly adjust the repair cost in my bill during the next service. Shows commitment and maturity.

Cheers
Old 4th August 2005, 02:47   #14
BHPian

hey xsailor !!
my dad owns an authorised sony service centre in south extn. delhi!! and have also have a sony head in my zen !!well i guess if it was actually moisture as the service centre diagnosed it then it has to be due to the wash after service of your car as there is no other way of moisture getting into your hu !!

- taking out the hu is not a very difficult task . you get these keys along with your head which you put into the sides of your head where they get stuck and then you just pull it out if you are comfortable with that!!
-warn your service incharge to see to it that there is no water entering the cabin!!
- write to maruti at their website maybe they can help for further info.

any further problems with any sony stuff you may visit:-

clubelectronic
e-26 ndse-2,
above roop sarees and d&a,
new delhi.
Old 4th August 2005, 09:39   #15
BANNED

Water in passenger cabin

Why those ASS should spay water inside passenger cabin? These are modern cars..may be an old guy who used to wash Amby's & padmini's is there..

Have anyone seen those local service centres " service" Amby & Padmini? They throw water all over engine bay..without even covering ignition coil & dynamo (alternator)..once that so called cleaning is done..then its a pain to get the car started..sometimes it results in messed up firing of spark plug & burnt dynamo...

When my palio is given for service in TVS Cochin, I instruct them not to spay water in engine bay unless otherwise its so dirty..same with my 1100D..I give it a pressure greasing every two months in all joints, clean spark plugs..& airfilter..thats all it needs..once in a year a carburettor cleaning..it runs..runs...never allow water spraying in engne cabin or in passneger cabin..it prevents rusting also..!

Last edited by hasopi : 4th August 2005 at 09:40. Reason: info

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks