Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2009, 13:29   #1

Honda Civic angel eyes with autogauge xenons

I'm putting these photos up upon ImmortalZ's request to my headlamp units. Will post a detailed ownership report later.

These Eagle Eyes angel eyes were fit around this time last year. The low beam projectors contain AutoGauge 6000K xenons. The high beams are regular halogens similar to the stock lamps but marginally brighter.

I thought I had more pics of the work done to fit the units but most of them are back in India and one particular pic of a ballast refuses to transfer from my phone in high res (opened in the phone, saved and transfered - terrible resolution now).

The beam spread shown is actually significantly brighter than you see in the photo where it is parked next to the 5 series. None of the pics have the high beams on.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic angel eyes with autogauge xenons-twisty-roads.jpg  

Honda Civic angel eyes with autogauge xenons-fitting-eagle-eyes.jpg  

Honda Civic angel eyes with autogauge xenons-fitting-eagle-eyes-2.jpg  

Honda Civic angel eyes with autogauge xenons-eagle-eyes.jpg  

Honda Civic angel eyes with autogauge xenons-rear.jpg  

Honda Civic angel eyes with autogauge xenons-low-beam-brightness.jpg  

Honda Civic angel eyes with autogauge xenons-low-beam-spread.jpg  

Attached Images

koshyjohnuk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2009, 14:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Looks good.How much did it cost?Is there any warranty given from xenons
Old 9th October 2009, 11:49   #3

It's a little expensive. The cost breaks down as follows:
- Eagle Eyes Angel Eyes - 18.5k
- Autogauge Xenons (for low beam) - 8.5k
- High beam halogens - 2.5k
- Extra wiring + installation - 0.5k

I could have also gotten those smoked LED taillamps (there are one or two Team-BHP members who have gotten them) for 6k separately, but IMO they look ugly and it's hard to make out when the LEDs are actually lit if you are looking at the lamps from any other angle other than straight on. The only car color they could possibly go well with is white (and maybe black).

The xenons have only an implied warranty (maybe 5-6 months) by the dealer, considering they are imports. But autogauge products are supposed to be reliable. If the xenons fail now, well, I'll have to fork out money but not so much because the original kit contains the xenons and the ballasts. The dealer will get the xenons separately and possibly give me a discount if what I have now fails prematurely.

Xenons have a certain number of operating hours before they fail - I don't remember what the rating on the package was (3000 hours?) but I remember that when I calculated based on my usage, they looked like they could last 4-5 years easy.
koshyjohnuk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2009, 12:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

The angel eyes on the Civic look great IMHO. They change the look of the car completely.

@koshyjohnuk: 18.5K for only the front lamps

That is very expensive. In delhi You can get the complete kit including the LED tail lamps in that amount of money even less infact. You have been robbed for sure, when did you purchase these?? If recently then surely they are expensive. I got mine for 16k including the Rear lamps.

How do you find the low beam throw of these headlamps?? Honestly speaking the projector inside it is pathetic and the throw is even worse. have a look at my next post and how I sorted it out.
Old 9th October 2009, 12:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Projector Headlamp Mod

Like I said in my previous post, The Headlamp though look stunning they always had a flaw of low light output. I tried fitting all type of HIDs 8000K/6000K/4300K but never got the desired output. In the end I traced the problem down to the projector inside the headlamp. so with the help of my friend pranav7 and noidaboy, We set out a target of changing the projector.

We decided to Swap the projector inside with the one Laura has, pranav7 was very helpful in sourcing the projector for me and also helping me with the fitting. He also modded the cut-out shield inside the projector,so that we get that beautiful color Band and a sharp cut-out beam.

I fitted the projector with 4300K D2S HIDs as recommended by pranav, and the results are spectacular. This one low beam now has more throw than my earlier 3 Pairs of Low+High+Fog combined. Here are some pics of the lamp before and after the MOD. Also find pics of the new light.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic angel eyes with autogauge xenons-dsc05258.jpg  

Honda Civic angel eyes with autogauge xenons-dsc05259.jpg  

Honda Civic angel eyes with autogauge xenons-dsc05261.jpg  

Honda Civic angel eyes with autogauge xenons-dsc05262.jpg  

Honda Civic angel eyes with autogauge xenons-dsc05263.jpg  

Honda Civic angel eyes with autogauge xenons-dsc07973.jpg  

Honda Civic angel eyes with autogauge xenons-dsc07972.jpg  

Honda Civic angel eyes with autogauge xenons-dsc07971.jpg  

Last edited by Dippy : 9th October 2009 at 15:21. Reason: Post edited: Please use the Contact Us form to contact the Support Team. Thanks.
m4ugr8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2009, 12:50   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ugr8 View Post
You have been robbed for sure, when did you purchase these??
Got these in September, 2008. Yes, I was robbed. I wanted to get these on before my service in October so that the service center could make sure everything was fine for my peace of mind.

But this dealer (Emperor Car accessories) would only sell me the head lights and tail lamps together for 22.5k (or I had to wait for a new headlamp unit to arrive - quoted Rs.17.5k). They fit the tail lamps for me and it looked UGLY (figured why they wanted to push it on me). I told them immediately to take them off. I should have got 6k back but they played hard ball and gave me only 3.5k back saying things like resale value blah blah blah, installation/uninstallation cost. I managed to pull out a Rs.500 Sonax tyre protectant spray for free though.

I have a very bad impression of their ethics because of this even though they did a good job as far as the installation was concerned. It felt very bad losing money, but I learnt valuable life lessons because of this experience.

I had to go with Emperor Car Accessories because I do not know anyone else in Cochin fitting this and Peninsular Honda themselves pointed them out to me (just about all Civics with angel eyes in Cochin have been done by them). I guess that means that they can command a premium because of that fact unlike in a bigger city like Delhi where there is more competition.
Old 9th October 2009, 13:09   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ugr8 View Post
Like I said in my previous post, The Headlamp though look stunning they always had a flaw of low light output. I tried fitting all type of HIDs 8000K/6000K/4300K but never got the desired output. In the end I traced the problem down to the projector inside the headlamp. so with the help of my friend pranav7 and noidaboy, We set out a target of changing the projector.
The autogauges are powerfully bright* so I am quite happy with their focussed forward throw. They do not have the horizontal spread that you have achieved but I find the OEM fogs are very good in this respect (I feel so sorry for Civic owners who don't have fogs - the OEM low beams are utterly hopeless on their own).

If there is one thing I have learnt after the fact is that 4000-5000K is the sweet spot for maximum output without blinding others (good choice!). 6000K gives the properly daylight effect (what I have now). Higher than that is mostly just for show with hardly any function (that's why I made sure I got 6000K, but I thought then that the lower values would be too yellowish).

*about 1 in ~30 drivers flash at me when there is no street lighting because I think they find it too bright. But I think it's a fair compromise because the Civic is a fairly low car and we get affected far more when others decide to use their high beams.

BTW, did you smash open the head lamp unit or something? Do you have pictures of the lamps after reassembly? Are you using the CCFL rings?
koshyjohnuk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2009, 16:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by koshyjohnuk View Post
Got these in September, 2008. Yes, I was robbed. I wanted to get these on before my service in October so that the service center could make sure everything was fine for my peace of mind.

But this dealer (Emperor Car accessories) would only sell me the head lights and tail lamps together for 22.5k (or I had to wait for a new headlamp unit to arrive - quoted Rs.17.5k). They fit the tail lamps for me and it looked UGLY (figured why they wanted to push it on me). I told them immediately to take them off. I should have got 6k back but they played hard ball and gave me only 3.5k back saying things like resale value blah blah blah, installation/uninstallation cost. I managed to pull out a Rs.500 Sonax tyre protectant spray for free though.

I have a very bad impression of their ethics because of this even though they did a good job as far as the installation was concerned. It felt very bad losing money, but I learnt valuable life lessons because of this experience.

I had to go with Emperor Car Accessories because I do not know anyone else in Cochin fitting this and Peninsular Honda themselves pointed them out to me (just about all Civics with angel eyes in Cochin have been done by them). I guess that means that they can command a premium because of that fact unlike in a bigger city like Delhi where there is more competition.

Yup, when there is only one guy selling these lights, he can always demand a premium over it. Delhi has loads of these guys and my good luck that I know the importer directly, so pulling a good deal was not a problem at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koshyjohnuk View Post
The autogauges are powerfully bright* so I am quite happy with their focussed forward throw. They do not have the horizontal spread that you have achieved but I find the OEM fogs are very good in this respect (I feel so sorry for Civic owners who don't have fogs - the OEM low beams are utterly hopeless on their own).

If there is one thing I have learnt after the fact is that 4000-5000K is the sweet spot for maximum output without blinding others (good choice!). 6000K gives the properly daylight effect (what I have now). Higher than that is mostly just for show with hardly any function (that's why I made sure I got 6000K, but I thought then that the lower values would be too yellowish).

*about 1 in ~30 drivers flash at me when there is no street lighting because I think they find it too bright. But I think it's a fair compromise because the Civic is a fairly low car and we get affected far more when others decide to use their high beams.

BTW, did you smash open the head lamp unit or something? Do you have pictures of the lamps after reassembly? Are you using the CCFL rings?
4300K to 5000K is the best HIDs you can fit in, They dont have that BLING "HID" color but the visibility is best with these lights. 6000K is also a good compromise between both. I opened these lamps using a heat gun. The output is indeed great. I shall more pics tonight.
Old 21st November 2009, 00:33   #9
BHPian

Hey, I was going to get one of these too for my civic from an online store and was going to install them myself. The price looks pretty much the same as compared to the prices you have got it for.
I guess I should give these guys a call and see what they have to offer.

How is your overall experience with the new Projector lights?
Old 25th December 2009, 23:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Does the laura projectors also come with the black housing as seen in the below pic ? .If not where and how much did you source the black housing from ? . Nice upgrade .
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic angel eyes with autogauge xenons-dsc05259.jpg  

Old 8th October 2011, 01:55   #11
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic angel eyes with autogauge xenons

You had opened the assembly of the headlamp.I was planning to get CFFL rings for my civic.Are there chances of dust and water leakage issues?
Old 10th October 2013, 15:09   #12

Honda Civic - Halo Headlamps?

Moderator note: Please use Search before opening new threads. Thanks.

I own a '08 Honda Civic, and I am planning to swap the stock headlamps with the aftermarket "Audi style" lights with Projectors and Angel eyes.
Few places that I scouted around in Bangalore gave me a price of 25k-30k for the Headlight set. In the process, I was told that the lights would be a lot cheaper if I could look at places around Delhi. ("10k me ho jayega saar..")
Has anyone swapped their lights with the Delhi wala sources??
Cheers!

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th October 2013 at 15:18.
Old 11th October 2013, 20:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic - Halo Headlamps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivc View Post
Moderator note: Please use Search before opening new threads. Thanks.

I own a '08 Honda Civic, and I am planning to swap the stock headlamps with the aftermarket "Audi style" lights with Projectors and Angel eyes.
Few places that I scouted around in Bangalore gave me a price of 25k-30k for the Headlight set. In the process, I was told that the lights would be a lot cheaper if I could look at places around Delhi. ("10k me ho jayega saar..")
Has anyone swapped their lights with the Delhi wala sources??
Cheers!
I have swap it. And yes, a lot cheaper in Delhi. I got mine for under 10K I believe a year ago. you will still need the Xenon kits.
Old 11th October 2013, 23:16   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
I have swap it. And yes, a lot cheaper in Delhi. I got mine for under 10K I believe a year ago. you will still need the Xenon kits.
iTNerd, where did you get yours from? Any reference?
How much are the Xenon kits anyway??
Old 14th October 2013, 08:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivc View Post
iTNerd, where did you get yours from? Any reference?
How much are the Xenon kits anyway??
I got it from AutoMarc. Xenon kits I got were around 5K a pair around that time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks