Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2005, 21:40   #1
BHPian

2 Engines

OK, so Ford did it with the comcept GT90 - they had 2 engines (do correct me if I'm wrong) one running each rear wheel.

Now, if you wanna have a really quick balanced supercar, qwhy not have 2 engines, one powering the front 2 wheels, like a front engined car, and one powering the rear 2 wheels, like a rear engined car?? That way, theres equal weight istributiong at the front and back, and the driver sits with this awesome noise all around him in the center...

So why the hell hasnt anyone made this before?? I mean, it seems the only same thing to do na?? Assuming that you're making an all out racing car, you dont need a boot, so just fit another negine there as well, get 2 times the power an noise!! (and fuel consumption... but who cares??!!)
Old 27th July 2005, 21:46   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveek
So why the hell hasnt anyone made this before??
Mercedes Benz has done this before. I don't remember the year. Must be couple of years ago. Stratos, open your archive and throw some light
Old 27th July 2005, 21:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

You need two transmissions....which is additional weight and complexity. Better to add cylinders or use forced induction.

VW had built a working proto of a twin engine Golf in the 80s.
Old 27th July 2005, 21:55   #4
BHPian

How much more complex can things get after NASCAR, F-1, INDY, and F-NIPPON an suc?? as far as I can see, it shouldnt be much of a broblem to do this, and i'm sure that people would buy it.

@MPower: regarding dual transmissoins, the Innova has an electric throttle, so cant we just adapt this technology to transmission systems as well, which should get rid of the complexity...

Just my 2c...
Old 27th July 2005, 22:08   #5
Team-BHP Support

aveek, here's the link http://www.mbspy.com/w168twin.htm
Old 27th July 2005, 22:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

How does an electric throttle concept help? That's basically a pressure plate connected to a potentiometer. For twin engines, you still need the bulk of twin transmission mechanisms, even if you electronize the selection mechanism.

To answer your question about someone doing it...coming soon to a dragstrip near you!!!
Old 27th July 2005, 22:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

50:50 weight distribution is the ideal balance of the car ...
even the front engine mazda RX 8 has it ...mazda claims that even with the driver in the car the weight distribution is 50:50 front /rear ..
Old 28th July 2005, 08:52   #8
Team-BHP Support

VW tried this out in the mid 80's with a VW Jetta and Scrirocco. It was actually quite successful as a concept as you could tweak chassis blance through power distribution. Unfortunaltly, it ain't a viable commercial proposition. Maybe Psycho could look at this as his next project
Old 28th July 2005, 11:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Unfortunaltly, it ain't a viable commercial proposition. Maybe Psycho could look at this as his next project
How very truly said as it is to get the best out of one engine is hard enough and now ppl are talking about two engines... I would rather spend my time perfecting one engines power delivery than trying to tweak 2 and continously balancing the power distribution of 2...

A lotta people have built multi-engined cars but getting all the engines to behave similarly is so much more of a nightmare guess it is best left for the salt lake afficianados...

Quote:
get 2 times the power an noise
I dont think that statement is true on the power front and remember noise is not equal to power... please remeber engine A with X bhp + engine B with Y bhp when mated on to a common chassis do not produce X+Y bhp... There are losses and many more issues to get sorted out...

Quote:
@MPower: regarding dual transmissoins, the Innova has an electric throttle, so cant we just adapt this technology to transmission systems as well, which should get rid of the complexity...
The great throttle idea... how would you measure the torque difference, the airflow difference also remember the rear wheels get more traction than the front how would you actively take care of that?
Old 28th July 2005, 11:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

interesting topic aveek and as v1p3r said....something is brewing in town!!!
the mani problem out of these "twin" engine cars is getting the right amount of power and the exact gearing for it....even if one set spins a little bit more than you are in BIG trouble....
lot of wrinkles to be ironed out!!!
Old 28th July 2005, 11:42   #11
Team-BHP Support

this is not an official vw car but somone tried it

www.durocco.com
Old 28th July 2005, 11:45   #12
BHPian

Is this something like the Special Edition A class Mercedes Benz made for Mika Hakkinen some time back..Having one engine in the boot and the other in the Engine compartment. But there were two start buttons for that car...
Old 28th July 2005, 14:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

Well, another problem i see( correct me if i'm wrong) is the weight of carrying 2 engines, sure it will give a good weight distribution, but, it will also increase the weight right? So wouldnt the power to weight ratio go down??
Old 28th July 2005, 15:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

Here's a list of Bi-Motor(twin-engined) cars since the ages.

1. Alfa Romeo Bimotore
Year: 1932
Engine: 2 x 3165cc
Power: 540 bhp
Nos. produced: 3 confirmed, rest unknown

2. Twini Mini Cooper
Year: 1963
Engine: 1088cc + 1212cc
Power: 178 bhp
Nos. produced: Not known

3. Citroen 2CV Sahara
Year: Not known
Engine: 2 x 425cc
Power: 26 bhp
Nos. Produced: 694

4. Mini Moke
Year: Not known
Engine: 2 x 848cc
Power: 74 bhp
Nos. Produced: 1 known, rest unconfirmed

5. Saab 93 'Monster'
Year: 1958
Engine: 2 x 748cc
Power: 136bhp
Nos. Produced: 1 known, rest unconfirmed

6. VW Scirocco Bimotor
Year: Post 1983
Engine: 2 x 1791cc
Power: 360bhp
Nos. produced: 2

7. Tiger Z 100
Year: Post 1999
Engine: 2 x 900cc
Power: 300 bhp
Nos. Produced: Still under production; made to order

8. Mercedes Benz A190 Twin
Year: 1999
Engine: 2 x 1898cc
Power: 250 bhp
Nos. Produced: 2

[b]9. Railton Mobil Special
Year: 1930s
Engine: 2 x 24000cc
Power: 2800 bhp
Nos. Produced: 1

Also add Toyota Prius and other twin-engined (Petrol+electric motors) to the list if you please.

Revv
Old 28th July 2005, 20:34   #15
BHPian

@Rudra: Thanks sir, the linky was pretty neat.

@Psycho: The torque and air-flow and everything is pretty much monitored by a 32-bit comp. chip anyway, na? I'm sure that people wqouldnt find it too hard to map an ECU that controls all this as well.

@V1p3r: I kow. I think that I might be working on it...!!!

@Shravan: lets say an engine wighs 400kg and blts out 500BHP. So then 2 engines = 800KG vs. 1000BHP. Id say thats fast enough... wouldnt you...?? As far as I can see, the Power to Weight ration can only go own, uless the engines are de-tuned...

@iceman: so why cant we have the ECU figure that one out...?? As it is, the Enzo, Carrara GT, and every other 'modern supercar' have these chips in em... so, why not have a nice computer RAM type chip instead, and sort all these problems out...??

@Revv: I meant 2 petrol engines both running simultaniuosly, not 2 engines, with alternate power generation. As I'm not too sure if the Mentioned cars have the above configuration, thje Prius and other hybrid cars are definitely out, as they run altetrnate engines, right...??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks