Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2009, 00:42   #1
BANNED

LED for Spark

Lately seen many mods for LED. All post where enough to inspire me to try my hands with LED.

So left office slightly early to catch hold of LED strip. got it after some search in pune. Various colors were available. Half white, blue, yellow, full white etc.

Found it slightly expensive. 400 per mt. Seller told me it is water resistant (not water proof). So paid for 1m full bright white. and headed back home. 7pm.

After some chat , dinner at 9 pm decided to proceed with mod. Here are some pics.

Contd.
Attached Thumbnails
LED for Spark-dsc04889.jpg  

LED for Spark-dsc04890.jpg  

LED for Spark-dsc04894.jpg  

Old 24th October 2009, 00:47   #2
BHPian

Hey idea1979 from where you got this fantastic stuff? Keep us updated with your modifications.
Old 24th October 2009, 00:50   #3
BHPian

you found what i was looking for since many months, but couldn't find it in my small town.

Rs.400/- for a mt. is decent price.

you know, these strips can be cut into small pieces too, there should be a marking after each 3 or 4 SMD L.E.D.

Do post pics when they are installed on your car.

Happy D.I.Y.
Old 24th October 2009, 02:07   #4
BHPian

Why aren't these laminated? This strip comes with lamination genrally. to help protect/waterproofing.
Old 24th October 2009, 14:35   #5
BHPian

the ones shown in pic is usually not laminated except the carbon tracks are coated with some protective paint/lamination/
Old 25th October 2009, 02:00   #6
BHPian

Nice i have ordered a set of similar ones from UK but the seller told me they are water proof (can be checked only when it gets here). I wanted to put them on the side mirror and connect them with the indicators. Any ways you keep us posted with your work and a DIY will be well appereciated.
Old 25th October 2009, 10:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea1979 View Post
Lately seen many mods for LED. All post where enough to inspire me to try my hands with LED.

So left office slightly early to catch hold of LED strip. got it after some search in pune. Various colors were available. Half white, blue, yellow, full white etc.

Contd.
These look great when illuminated. Please post some pictures when the mod is complete
Old 25th October 2009, 13:32   #8
BHPian

I saw laminated blue LED strips at one of the shop at Vashi, asking Rs. 800/- for a meter. I'm interested in this but felt price is bit high. Can others share the price of these LED strips so get some idea about the same.
Old 25th October 2009, 13:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Do post pics with them connected . Do you directly connected to 12v , or any current limiting device or adapter in between ?

PS:Any one know where to get the same in blore ?
Old 25th October 2009, 14:20   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Do post pics with them connected . Do you directly connected to 12v , or any current limiting device or adapter in between ?

Yes, it can be directly connected to 12v source

Go to SP road and take a walk. You have pleanty the electronics shops selling these. You can easily know as they would have hanged glowing strips for display..There are many colours also.
Old 25th October 2009, 19:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

ho superb , thanks shreyasma , who doesnt know SP road .But its time I give one more visit there.
Old 25th October 2009, 19:32   #12
BHPian

Quote:
ho superb , thanks shreyasma , who doesnt know SP road .But its time I give one more visit there.
I got hell lot of ideas with these..just lazy to go there as my profession forces me to rest on weekends.

Do me a favour of asking if the UV LEDs are available and the cost..it can help many of the DIYers here
Old 26th October 2009, 12:39   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazer View Post
Nice i have ordered a set of similar ones from UK but the seller told me they are water proof (can be checked only when it gets here). I wanted to put them on the side mirror and connect them with the indicators. Any ways you keep us posted with your work and a DIY will be well appereciated.
I am also planning Yellow/orrange LED for side mirror indicators - in due cource of time. However some hurdle will be
  • getting water proof led dtrip
  • getting wiring done that might require opening mirror assembly
  • irrsepctive of led color - Led strip is pretty visible against black background of mirror case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
These look great when illuminated. Please post some pictures when the mod is complete
Sure.

Quote:

It can be directly connected to 12 V / batter terminals. In fact, best way to decide its locatin is in night time. as my car doesnt have under hood lamp, i was using LED strip as light source itself directly connected to battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasma View Post
I got hell lot of ideas with these..just lazy to go there as my profession forces me to rest on weekends.

Do me a favour of asking if the UV LEDs are available and the cost..it can help many of the DIYers here
pls share , pics will be grat
Old 26th October 2009, 21:39   #14
BANNED

Allright. Decided to use LED streap for Headlights. So i need to cut it into two equal half. Half meter each. Fortunately there was marking so cutting it was easy. However cutting it at wrong place , might render some LED's useless.

Second and most important task was - saving/protecting it from water as i wash vehicle atleast once in a week. I used 2" transparent tape for the same. Wrapped led streap in transparent adhesive tape. it might not make streap water proof but will certainly save it from water/ short circuit. It will also make it more adhesive. But might create heating problem.

Now bigger problem awaits ! Noticed that spark headlight contains lot of curves instead of being straight making mounting task challenging. LED streap is not very flexible and application of pressure might break/cut it.

Last edited by idea1979 : 26th October 2009 at 21:44.
Old 27th October 2009, 02:30   #15
BHPian

You will place them from outside? I mean just stick them on the glass it self?

Tape might melt due to heat and dust another issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks