Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2009, 17:43   #1
BHPian

Smart glass (variable tint level). Are they available in India?

Mod Note: Please continue the discussion on the new Smart Glass thread!

I was of reading one the thread in our forum, I came across a feature in a lexes SUV. Each passenger can control the visibly of the window tint. I stunned by the feather and did a Google. And discovery the name in many form.

Switchable glass or electric tint or Electrochromic film or Variable tint or PDLC film or smart window.

Just in case if you are wondering what I am talking about try google "smart glass" you would end of with a lot links with image and video.
In a nutshell, its film like a sunfilm which is pasted on glass. By default it looks blur. When you pass a small voltage the film becomes transparent. At a click of a button you can control a privacy. (off course you get a cheap sunshade to stick on to the windows)

I was wondering, is there any one in India tried this ? are they available in India?

Last edited by GTO : 12th May 2017 at 11:57. Reason: Link to new thread
Old 4th December 2009, 11:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

I too stumbled upon 'Smart Glass'
its an amazing tech!

I was searching for, whether its available for i20 or not!

I 'd certainly like to have it!
Old 5th December 2009, 15:45   #3
Team-BHP Support

Chuchan,

This film is available in India, however, i have only heard of it being used in architectural environments -- not cars.

It is basically applied to the glass the same way a tinted film is applied, and the film has the electrical contacts on it - which are connected to a switch and power supply.

Given the above, i'm sure it can be put on car windows as well - even if the companies supplying the film have never done it before. Few things to keep in mind :

1) Naturally the power supply will have to be tweaked/replaced so that it works in the car.

2) The wiring will have to be done in such a way that it stays connected and allows the window to move. Alternatively, the contacts could only touch when the window is in the UP position.

3) If im not mistaken, there are two types of this film. Older ones (black/clear) and the more recent (white/clear).

4) In its natural un-powered state, the film is opaque, and turns clear when power passes through it.

cya
R

Oh and ofcourse -- at the moment it is quite pricey!! I forget the actual cost per sq. ft. However, might be acceptable given you are only doing the rear windows.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2009, 18:52   #4
BHPian

I got a rate from some taiwan company, smart flim is USD471/Sqm. and the 12V car adapter is USD45/pc. smart glass is USD650/Sqm. wonder why its not seen in any cars even in abroad..

Never know its available in india.
Old 5th December 2009, 19:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Saint Gobain India sells the glass it's called Priva-Lite, I have the costs / contact of the person who handles that department if you need it PM me,

Regards,
Old 5th December 2009, 23:31   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

@s350-E240 : Please share the pricing details here, it may help fellow bhpians.
Old 6th December 2009, 08:19   #7
BHPian

Auto smart glass

Very interesting indeed.
Next you would find a company that puts two and two together and release an "Automatic smart glass".
Radar detector integrated with smart glass. The moment u detect a cop car within the vicinity the glass reduces the tint to the permissible legal limits which you can pre-set depending on the law of the land, when out of cop range it again auto sets to your custom setting.
Or Integrate it with the ignition key... depending on who is driving the car, the glass auto sets to their preferred tint setting.
. But a lot of stupid ideas make it big.
Old 6th December 2009, 16:36   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchan View Post
...smart flim is USD471/Sqm....
I'm not sure, but i think this is pricier than the companies in India supplying the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Or Integrate it with the ignition key... depending on who is driving the car, the glass auto sets to their preferred tint setting...
You know, a primitive version of this was polarized glass on trains.

I'd seen a video (an old black and white type film) where a train had a round window with a handle. As you wound the handle, the window went from totally clear to pitch black.

The way it works is that there are two pieces of polarized glass - one of which rotates when you wind the handle. When the polarizers are aligned, the glass is clear and the closer they are to 90* to each other, the darker the window gets.

LCD technology is essentially the same thing, but a current is polarizing a part of the display.

cya
R
Old 10th December 2009, 16:49   #9
BHPian

Is it safe ?

If the Power Supply does not work for some reason then you will be driving blind.

LOL
People in India put film on all sides for privacy.
Old 10th December 2009, 17:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Could be useful for the windshields front & rear.
Old 10th December 2009, 17:11   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
Is it safe ?

If the Power Supply does not work for some reason then you will be driving blind.

LOL
People in India put film on all sides for privacy.
So far in the net i only saw these on sides..BUT if its cheap in india we may end up in front as well
Old 11th December 2009, 11:47   #12
BHPian

I found some more stuff in the google..I don't know how to embed the Youtube video here. so here the stuff i found.
MOD: I'm no way related to them. delete this if not applicable.
Chuchan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2010, 10:12   #13
BHPian

Call it privacy or comfort but that's The Real Bling Thing I believe. Honestly it was a jaw dropper effect. I've never seen something as cool as this..........
Punzabi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2010, 23:23   #14
BHPian

Travel and living channel once aired a show by the name like "Best Toilets in las vegas" or America probably. However, the most intriguing toilet had its complete front part made of glass including the door. It was amazing that with the flick of a button it switched to total opaqueness.
However, quite hmmm hmmm for a toilet eh. . . . I wouldnt go in there unless am totally wasted. Amazing technology still. . .

Last edited by bblost : 29th June 2012 at 15:16. Reason: No more than 2 smileys per post. Thanks.
Old 17th March 2010, 18:03   #15
BHPian

Ok, i saw the same tecnology on a TV show, where this resturant (abroad) had a transparent bathroom door and you could see the bathroom from outside. So when you go in lock the door and switch on the light, the entire door becomes almost transclusent - in a snap

Jaya: sorry didnt see your post, that is correct, thats the show i was talking about

Last edited by quadra : 17th March 2010 at 18:05.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks