Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2005, 16:02   #1

K&N Filter problem....

Hey guys,

I just bought myself a K&N filter and fitted it to my corsa sail 1.4
Firstly I have 2 problems.

I havnt bought an intake kit. Does one come for the corsa cause i find shes sucking in hot air since its attached directly onto the rubber inlet pipe. I dont wana put a scoop onto the bonnet, I dont want to create a hole.... Any other way arnd this problem? Also how much will the intake kit cost??

Also, i find with the cone filter the performance with the AC goes down, less than with the regular filter.
Old 10th August 2005, 17:28   #2
BHPian

dude if u have the stock replacement filter then just leave it where it is...but if u have put the performance or racing k&n filter then get a custom cold air intake fitting done and get the filter located somwhere just behind the headlight or something..basically in the extreme front from where it can suck cold air directly....
the intake would cost u about 1.5 to 2 thousand rs and i think dragger whose a member of team-bhp can get u one.....
drive safetly dude and how has your performance increased with the filter let us know
Old 11th August 2005, 04:03   #3
BHPian

hey buddy xtreme has guided you perfectly about how to locate the k&n filter..well as far as the custom made piping is concerned i get get a custom one made for you...also i just have to inform you that the opel engine's operating temperature is higher than that of all normal engine's so a little bit of hot air will always go into the air-intake no matter what happens...also the price of the piping may vary on the kind of piping you want...and yes also please specify the kind of filter you've purchased...anyways i'll drop you a pm with my number...call me or just pm me back if you ever need any help ...cheers...!!
Old 21st August 2005, 21:43   #4
BHPian

hey im using a fipk on my getz... the intake mounting is given as below the fender as shown here..

but i am scared it will hit the speed-breakers so any suggestions for the placing of the cold air intake..
Old 22nd August 2005, 05:06   #5
BHPian

hey buddy the fipk kit...is a very designed kit made by k&n ...i personally suggest my clients to install it...ive installed it myself on quite a few cars...trust me...just try and drive safely...besides that i cant think of anything till i dont actually see your setup in person..i mean the picture shows it...but i dont think that's sufficient...well anyways if you do have any other quesries feel free to pm me...cheers...!!
Old 31st August 2005, 00:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

just got a K&N for my mazda miata. Its a stock rep .will fit it tomorrow first thing and keep u posted on the improvements
Old 31st August 2005, 10:31   #7
BHPian

I know its a ifferent car, but here's my report & pictures of how i fitted my K&N

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7170

a rough idea is in the 1st post and detailed escription with pics in the 7th post including why i chose not to o for the low placed intake
Cheers

Last edited by Revvhead : 31st August 2005 at 10:32.
Old 27th June 2006, 17:25   #8
sAP
BHPian

Review: K&N replacement filter on Corsa 1.4

I installed one yesterday. It is a replacement filter (code 33-2098) for the Corsa 1.4, not an induction kit. Bought it off ebay.com at $37 (about Rs.1700) and shipped via a US address.

Left: 33-2098. Right: 57i kit

The Corsa's stock air-intake gets cool air from the front of the car. You can see that the stock car has additional piping that extends all the way from the filter box to the front grille. Automobile engineers know how to make power from air boxes -- by increasing intake velocity and optimizing box volume for resonation -- the Corsa is a prime example of this phenomenon.

To let you in on some history -- I had a Shark conical air filter on my RX135 which i replaced back with a stock filter due to degraded performance(!!). I tried several upsize jets and tuning options but found that nothing helped. So instead I performed a port job on the cylinder (inlet manifold ports, ram port, crankshaft transfer ports and the exhaust port). Well, that worked wonders and it goes head to head with a 180 pulsar to the quarter mile, though it falls short of the Karizma. All this with the stock filter and restrictive catalytic convertor.

The problem is intake velocity. By using straight through piping and a free-flow air filter, your engine is made capable of breathing more air; but this is at the cost of reduced air intake velocity. An example of this phenomena is when you use a finger to reduce the mouth of a water-pipe to increase water velocity (and vice versa).

In car performance terms, what happens is that when straight-through piping is installed, the powerband is moved further up the RPM range. The drawback is that low-end performance suffers.

The stock Corsa 1.4 is sluggish on low RPM and starts producing serious power somewhere in the 3500RPM range. While it does go into a frenzy to reach its peak after this point, most drivers find that the loss in low-end makes its almost undriveable in the City.

Apart from the 33-2098 panel filter replacement, the model that K&N recommends for the corsa is the 57i kit. But I would stick to a panel replacement filter for all occasions other than for running on track (incidentally, I do) -- where the narrow top-end of its performance range is used all the time.

Here are a couple of things I noted after changing from a stock filter to a K&N panel replacement filter:
  • There is no big profound difference. The car hasn't turned from a cat into a tiger.
  • The panel filter on the Corsa does NOT enhance or increase intake noise.
After you have done a couple of drives and are willing to pass off any performance gain as a "placebo" effect, things start to change however.

There is a particular stretch of empty good road with several bad patches that I drive through everyday. It is here that I noticed the difference with the new filter installed. It was no longer the placebo effect.
  • The "lag" that exists each time I accelerate after braking to clear a bad patch has now vanished. The car responds a shade earlier than usual. Now, could this be because of a clean filter? Possibly yes, but the difference is a little more profound than that.
  • When I engage the airconditioner, I now find that the car hasn't been completely disabled... a feeling I used to get earlier whenever I switch on the AC after I have driven a few kilometers without it.
Make no mistake about it, these differences are mild. Not earth shattering.

So now the question is -- is the K&N panel replacement filter for a Corsa 1.4 worth the price? For track use, not really. Because I'd rather get the 57i kit.

For the road, and for Rs.1700, thats probably a yes. But for anything above Rs.2999, the way these filters behave on street, I'd rather get a Worldspace radio, or a Dish TV if you prefer.

sAP
Old 27th June 2006, 22:09   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAP
The Corsa's stock air-intake gets cool .......by increasing intake velocity and optimizing box volume for resonation -- the Corsa is a prime example of this phenomenon.
very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAP
The stock Corsa 1.4 is sluggish on low RPM and starts producing serious power somewhere in the 3500RPM range. While it does go into a frenzy to reach its peak after this point, most drivers find that the loss in low-end makes its almost undriveable in the City.
very well put. I have been using Corsa 1.4 sedan for 9 months now and this is the main problem that i face while driving in city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAP
Here are a couple of things I noted after changing from a stock filter to a K&N panel replacement filter:
  • There is no big profound difference. The car hasn't turned from a cat into a tiger.
  • The panel filter on the Corsa does NOT enhance or increase intake noise.

well .. yes. you literally stole the word outta my mouth. The difference is very less but just noticeable if you have driven a non-K&N filtered car.

and BTW, i got the filter for a handsome amount of Rs. 3990 with bill and I feel its over-priced.
Old 5th March 2007, 21:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Guys always remember a stock replacement filter wont do wonders, but after using a Conical one i can bet you its total bang for the buck, the intake noise, the increase in performance and FE is clearly visible.
Old 5th March 2007, 21:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys always remember a stock replacement filter wont do wonders, but after using a Conical one i can bet you its total bang for the buck, the intake noise, the increase in performance and FE is clearly visible.
I am with you BUSA.Completely agree only a conical filter can make a noticeable difference.
Old 5th March 2007, 23:15   #12
Team-BHP Support

BUSA, this is a 10 month old thread????
Old 5th March 2007, 23:54   #13
NSF

Hello every one,
I too had installed a performance filter in my lancer. Intially i had felt a improvement in performance, but now i feel its dropped.i had taken it the mec to get it cleaned but he says its not dirty enough to be cleaned. Now a days while am in 2nd or 3rd when i take my legs off the acelerater and when i again give accel there is a lag and a missing giving jerks. I recently got my car serviced i had told the mec too cover the filter while washing under hood.

What could be the problem, could it be that the service people forgot to cover the filter.
The authorised service center has no idea about whats happening they keep on saying that it could be due to the new filter and asked me too put the oeginal one back.
help
Old 6th March 2007, 00:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

@vid6639, sAP had posted the link to this thread for a different query in one of the recent threads if I aint wrong. Guess thats how BUSA and me ended up posting here .
Old 6th March 2007, 11:19   #15
Team-BHP Support

ah, I see rjstyle. my bad. didn't know that.

I have a stock replacement filter on me lancer and I din't find too much difference with the OE one other than the intake sound.

The mileage was supposed to go up but went down as well. I didn't want to take the conical as it made too much sound and my dad who also drives the car wouldn't like it. Also the mileage would drop as the car would be more rev happy and you wont be able to resist that.

The conical is difficult to maintain as well and you have to be extra careful of dust and especially water.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks