Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2009, 21:13   #1
BHPian

Ford Ikon 1.6 '03-Modifi-able???

okay, i own a ford ikon 1.6 ROCAM 2003 first hand. It was an amazing car......... for the initial years atleast. dad(whose id i am using here) drove it for 2 years at a stretch before the beauty-the blue toyota innova comes up. AND BANG! the car is just like a showpiece! mom drives the Fiat uno, dated back to '99.
betweeen 2005 and 2008 the car was pretty much untouched, but still nicely maintined. the oyster colour did show scratches. and when the uno was sold in 2008, the car has had a rough ride since then.
My mom takes the car to mohan garden(imagine THE INTERIOR OF UTTAM NAGAR!!!! EWW) the underbody got seriously damaged because of the infinite potholes. squeezing the car into very tight places meant lotta BIG scrathces.
And now it is my turn to inherit the car after my class X boards. THIS LONG HISTORY WAS TO EXPLAIN WHAT THE CAR WENT THROUGH ALL THESE YEARS. i am planning some minimum mods to the car, till i fully take control(big issue over the new car). Some issues i have observed in the car are-
1. dented and scrarched body(rust devoloping on some scratches)
2. Exhaust leak(fixed-300 bucks) which shows the rigourous underbody damage
3.- Rear bumper was hanging. pop screws could not be replaced so the bumper was DRILLED onto the car(jugaad)
4.- non-functional instrument panel lights( cannot find the fuse for it in the fuse box)
5- crappy stock carpet-like interiors, catching dust
Some mods i plan in the near future-
1. new speakers and head unit
2. Interior reworked, with fancy led's and some new seat covers
3. New paint job(3-stage pearl white) after something around a year
4. new filter and FFE( filter could be recent but FFE later)
5. Bumpers, skirtings reworked ( will love a new lip) planning to get it done by autopsyche, but scared because of budget constraint
6. lots of DIY's
Photos will be posted in a day or two, kindly enlighten if the car is worth these mods, after wht it has gone through
Thank you.
Old 4th December 2009, 10:50   #2
BHPian

are you sure you in the 10th grade??
anyways i suggest you first get your car to a proper stock condition and then think about the mods as you would see better results then.
Old 4th December 2009, 18:28   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild4lyfe View Post
are you sure you in the 10th grade??
anyways i suggest you first get your car to a proper stock condition and then think about the mods as you would see better results then.
yes sir. 10th grade, it's not vey early dude. been driving ever since my feet reached the pedal(7th to be exact)
about the stock parts, if i repair one thing, another comes out faulty. take today for example.a standing car breaaks BOTH of its rear view mirrors. HOW? stupid govt. school children break them for fun. even the joint in the mirrors went rusty. I am getting mad over this issue. i need to replace the parts cheap or i'll go for aftermarket. PLEASE GUYS GIVE ME SOME SUGGESTIONS. PLEASE YAAR
Old 5th December 2009, 22:58   #4
BHPian

Why not give the car to FORD service center & get rid of the small current & future issues ?

Then you can happily carry on with you DIY's.You will save a lot of energy this way.
Old 5th December 2009, 23:48   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevatdelhi View Post
yes sir. 10th grade, it's not vey early dude. been driving ever since my feet reached the pedal(7th to be exact)
Do you have a driving license?
Old 6th December 2009, 00:04   #6
BHPian

gettin ikon back to shape

hi rajiv.
i am also a resident of delhi and my story is similar to you. i learnt to drive when i was in class 6. got the car after i secured 92 in my class 10 boards and rest is history now. i am going to be 18 on 24th of this month and have a ride with a good ICE. first of all DONT TAKE YOUR CAR TO THE FORD DEALER. if u take it there, u'l get and estimate of min 40k. my car met with a small accident when i was in 11th, and i couldnt tell my parents about it. so i took it to lajpat nagar. and that guy did magic to my car. within a period of 5-6 hours, my car was back to shape. i even saw a vintage car being done there. so if u want any further information on getting your car back to shape, just PM me. i'll let you know where you can get the work done in delhi at the best possible price. cheers

regads
naman
Old 6th December 2009, 00:27   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Photos will be posted in a day or two, kindly enlighten if the car is worth these mods, after wht it has gone through
Thank you.
It's not worth modifying simply because YOU ARE NOT PEMITTED TO DRIVE ON THE ROADS! I guess it's not you I should be blaming but your dad.
Old 6th December 2009, 10:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
It's not worth modifying simply because YOU ARE NOT PEMITTED TO DRIVE ON THE ROADS! I guess it's not you I should be blaming but your dad.
that's your opinion. accepted. Now, for the pis, here they are..........Ford Ikon 1.6 '03-Modifi-able???-img_0002.jpg

Ford Ikon 1.6 '03-Modifi-able???-img_0003.jpg

Ford Ikon 1.6 '03-Modifi-able???-img_0005.jpg

Ford Ikon 1.6 '03-Modifi-able???-img_0008.jpg

Ford Ikon 1.6 '03-Modifi-able???-img_0009.jpg
Old 6th December 2009, 11:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

What's wrong with the car, if you don't mind me asking? If the trouble is limited to the exterior and the engine is completely fine, get a proper touch-up done of the exterior. If you care that much, get a compression test done, that will tell you about the health of your engine. Make sure there isn't a big difference between all 4 cylinders (don't know the CR of the ROCAM engine and what kind of compression you should expect in Delhi) and it's high enough. Check the clutch, see if it slips. Get the wiring checked at a reputed/authorized garage. Get the underbody checked by a good mechanic.

If I were you, I'd work on the performance till the bodypanels/doors start coming off, then just spend X amount on getting the exterior to proper shape. Oh wait, that's what I am doing right now

Last edited by pranavt : 6th December 2009 at 11:03.
Old 6th December 2009, 11:23   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
What's wrong with the car, if you don't mind me asking? If the trouble is limited to the exterior and the engine is completely fine, get a proper touch-up done of the exterior. If you care that much, get a compression test done, that will tell you about the health of your engine. Make sure there isn't a big difference between all 4 cylinders (don't know the CR of the ROCAM engine and what kind of compression you should expect in Delhi) and it's high enough. Check the clutch, see if it slips. Get the wiring checked at a reputed/authorized garage. Get the underbody checked by a good mechanic.

If I were you, I'd work on the performance till the bodypanels/doors start coming off, then just spend X amount on getting the exterior to proper shape. Oh wait, that's what I am doing right now
+ 1.

The body job looks very minor but if you want to get it done go to some good painter (PM SINGH).But i would still say before starting with the mods (performance) get you car checked in the FORD Service Center or a good mechanic who knows about Ikons.

Last edited by Neil.Bhujbal : 6th December 2009 at 11:25.
Old 6th December 2009, 12:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil.Bhujbal View Post
+ 1.

The body job looks very minor but if you want to get it done go to some good painter (PM SINGH).But i would still say before starting with the mods (performance) get you car checked in the FORD Service Center or a good mechanic who knows about Ikons.
the body issues are looking minor now because most of them have been 'jugaadofied'. for example, the bumper had come out, because the rubber casing for the screw had broken, and the pop-screws came out. and it's impossible to put another pop-screw. so the bumper was DRILLED which almost made me cry:(( and the engine isn't in best conditions. a week ago i noticed that the brake oil box was leaking and had to be fixed. the point is that now i have to fix up prices and give a 'restoration budget' to my dad and i don't know any repair guys............
Old 6th December 2009, 13:46   #12
BHPian

this message was posted by my son as this is the car he will be getting after two years when he is 18.

I am sorry if any of the members have got offended by the post as he is actually too young to drive, but is more enthusistic for the ownership and good looks for his gift.
Old 6th December 2009, 15:35   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
this message was posted by my son as this is the car he will be getting after two years when he is 18.

I am sorry if any of the members have got offended by the post as he is actually too young to drive, but is more enthusistic for the ownership and good looks for his gift.
Good to know that, Is it your profile? Or is it your Son's?

Anyways the car's bodywork looks good, regarding the engine its has enough punch to keep a 18yr old happy, it can be modified later if feels the need for extra power.
Old 6th December 2009, 16:44   #14
BHPian

Quote:
the body issues are looking minor now because most of them have been 'jugaadofied'. for example, the bumper had come out, because the rubber casing for the screw had broken, and the pop-screws came out. and it's impossible to put another pop-screw. so the bumper was DRILLED which almost made me cry:(( and the engine isn't in best conditions. a week ago i noticed that the brake oil box was leaking and had to be fixed. the point is that now i have to fix up prices and give a 'restoration budget' to my dad and i don't know any repair guys............
The body work can be done anywhere.But i still say for the engine works give the car in Ford Service Center.I had got my ikon last year,was getting it serviced from a garage but gave it to the Ford people as some problems were unsolved & though i ended up spending more i don't regret as the car feels totally different.

Quote:

Ikon's are actually a great birthday gift.I was gifted one last year.
Old 6th December 2009, 18:14   #15
BHPian

It's my id and not my son's but he is allowed to use my id for his knowledge enhancement.

regards

Rajeev

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Good to know that, Is it your profile? Or is it your Son's?

Anyways the car's bodywork looks good, regarding the engine its has enough punch to keep a 18yr old happy, it can be modified later if feels the need for extra power.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks