Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2005, 20:57   #1
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
can the colour of the in dash instrument cluster lights be changed???

hey guys wanted to know if changing the lights in the in dash panel will give a better look to instrument cluster..i mean for eg on my zen if i replace the lights behind the panel from yellow to any other colour..will it be possible,bcoz the dials have a green paint on them..will the change in the lights behind the panel be possible so as to give the kind of glow got from neons or maybe the radium look..will the paint on the dials give the same green look even after changing these lights...if posssible where can i get these lights and how much will it cost..or is it possible to directly fix an instrument panel of some other car directly on2 the zen..the oe cluster sucks and dont know how to make it look more appealing..
Old 18th August 2005, 21:10   #2
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

yes its possible. have changed the yellow color of our qualis to an orangish color.
Old 18th August 2005, 21:39   #3
BANNED

hey v12..how did u manage that..just put in orange lights in the place of oe 1s is it...any particular make that u know of,and what are the colours available..
Old 18th August 2005, 21:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

my bro wanted to do that in the zen some time back but i turned down the idea.so if its possible then where can it be done and how much will it cost.

Rev
Old 18th August 2005, 22:28   #5
BHPian

it doesnt make sense putting these bulbs in the zen because the dial part is greenish not white you can change to orange by putting red bulbs but blue/white wont make any sense... it wont make a difference... it can be done in the indica....my friends done it looks hott... you can only do it if uve got a white dial....
if you need details from where in mumbai to get it pm...
thx
sparco
Old 19th August 2005, 12:31   #6
BHPian

Does anyone know any place in banglore where i could get custom dials and backlighting done?
Old 19th August 2005, 13:21   #7
BHPian

To change the colour in the zen, you will first need to change the back (were the numbers are printed) they have a green filter, any light passing through it will change color and will not get desired effect (remember class 10 physics).
New filter will be need to be made, if any one can do this please also let me know too + cost. if made in bulk it might be cheaper. bulb change should not be a problem.

i don't think anyone make these filters/backing sheets, looked on the internet but not found any. esteem you get, search for swift gti and some will crop up.
Old 19th August 2005, 13:31   #8
BANNED

ya thats exactly what i thought..any coloured light once striking the green dials will not give the desired effect...so is it possible to replace the new zens instrument panel with the older versions bcoz the old zen has got white dials...so the colour change will not be any problem..is it possible to fit indica or corolla panel into the zen bcoz they look quite good..
Old 20th August 2005, 11:39   #9
BHPian

the old zen's white dials are misleading......the filters marking the speed etc are green, so a retro fit would be useless.
only way is to change the entire backing, a transparent one would not be good, as the light would come out focused and un even, a white or smoked effect would be ideal so as to get an even glow.

thought about placing the light on the outer side, but would be in effective.. shadows etc....

indica, or corolla panels do look good, but size?? and won't corolla be expensive?

Last edited by MustangMan : 20th August 2005 at 11:42.
Old 20th August 2005, 17:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

all u need is to find the coloured bulbs which can be fitted instead of original yellow bulbs
Old 20th August 2005, 18:40   #11
BANNED

hey guys just spoke to my uncle..as i have said in my earlier posts he owns an authorised maruti service station near hebbal flyover...spoke to him regarding this topic and he said its possible to change the colour of the filters that are marked on the dials to any colour of our choice..in fact he said his painter has done that to several cars himself,lucky me i guess..planning to go over on monday and talk to him as to what exactly can be done...
well i need ur inputs as to which colour should i get the filters painted in and which colour lights should i go in for to make it look more than appealing to the eyes...or should i get the filters plain(without any colour) and put lights of any desired colour..
need ur suggestions and also ur choice of colour would certainly help!!!!!
Old 21st August 2005, 16:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

hey dude what ever you do keep me informed...i mean keep us informed..

Rev
Old 22nd August 2005, 00:49   #13
BHPian

hey i tried doing the same in my 2004 zen but the same filter problem held me back but wonder what would happen if i put a blue bulb behind the green filter !! but dont think it would give ne the req blue glow!!! i had also got this idea of painting the dial from the back using the glass paint.!! but havent tried that yet!!!
Old 22nd August 2005, 01:20   #14
BANNED

what would happen if u put a blue backlight is as the light passes thru the green filter it changes to a different colour..(dont know which 1 as was very bad at arts)...will be going to my uncles garage 2moro...so will post the details by afternoon on how to go about the whole issue...
Old 22nd August 2005, 09:05   #15

must be a bit off topic but i wanted to know whether digital speedo meters/gauges are available and has anyone tried it....like the one in s2000???

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks