Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:15   #1

Engine upgrade for 99' carb. Zen

Hello
I want to upgrade E for my 99' carb Zen.
The option that I have currently is:
1.3L carb. esteem engine

However I want to have an 16 valve engine in my Zen.

I know I can put an 1.3L MPFI Esteem & convert it to carb.
It is more preferred as the gearbox is an easy match

I also want to know that is it feasible to put a Baleno 1.6L engine & convert
it to carb.
Will it be efficient, also what about the gearbox.

I wish to get good performance & on the other hand not to decrease the FE to absolute nothin.

Any Help will be appreciated
Regards
-Aditya
Old 2nd February 2010, 12:59   #2
BHPian

why would you want to convert an MPFI into carbs?
Old 2nd February 2010, 15:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishtadityasing View Post
Hello
I want to upgrade E for my 99' carb Zen.
The option that I have currently is:
1.3L carb. esteem engine

However I want to have an 16 valve engine in my Zen.

I know I can put an 1.3L MPFI Esteem & convert it to carb.
It is more preferred as the gearbox is an easy match
I dont think there is any difference in the grearbox, the head is the only thing that differs in a MPFI vs carb esteem where the later has a 8 valve system and the former has a 16 valve system.
Quote:

it to carb.
Will it be efficient, also what about the gearbox.
Again no changes in the gear box

Quote:

I wish to get good performance & on the other hand not to decrease the FE to absolute nothin.

Any Help will be appreciated
Regards
-Aditya
You would get both thats why its called a pocket rocket. but in my openion a e zen would be more than enough but again depends on the application, is it for personal use or for drags?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild4lyfe View Post
why would you want to convert an MPFI into carbs?
The electronics is a pain and only a competent mech can handle the transplant to be reliable and issue free. So usually almost every one goes for a carbsetup even with a suzuki 1.6 twin cam GTI engine, there is a thread where some one has plonked one in a zen classic.

Pramod
Old 2nd February 2010, 15:47   #4
BHPian

IMO carb to carb is the best and recommended upgrade. Plus cross platform change would turn out to be quite an expensive venture.

Last edited by dar3dev|l : 2nd February 2010 at 15:48.
Old 2nd February 2010, 17:26   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I dont think there is any difference in the grearbox, the head is the only thing that differs in a MPFI vs carb esteem where the later has a 8 valve system and the former has a 16 valve system.

Again no changes in the gear box

You would get both thats why its called a pocket rocket. but in my openion a e zen would be more than enough but again depends on the application, is it for personal use or for drags?

The electronics is a pain and only a competent mech can handle the transplant to be reliable and issue free. So usually almost every one goes for a carbsetup even with a suzuki 1.6 twin cam GTI engine, there is a thread where some one has plonked one in a zen classic.

Pramod
when it comes to performance dont you think the electronics are worth the pain??..cz it aint easy to performance tune carbs too you know..and when it comes to performance carbs all most tuners prefer are the webbers and how many guys are there who can tune webbers?

Last edited by wildchild4lyfe : 2nd February 2010 at 17:28.
Old 3rd February 2010, 09:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it to carb.
1) The engine mounts and there is a difference in the gearbox mating but can be done without much headache
2) Make sure the clutch is upgraded
3) If you want it to run on carbs without the wiring you will need to modify the cam to accommodate the esteems distributor
4) You don't need fancy carbs but can do with 2 zen carbs on the intake, could give you around 8 - 12 depending on the way the tune is done
Old 3rd February 2010, 10:03   #7
BHPian

psycho seriously... what would you prefer?
Old 4th February 2010, 09:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
psycho seriously... what would you prefer?
Depends on your mech, and if you do not want to destroy the originality of the car 1.3. Else 1.6 (Note: Make sure the swap is affordable and the donor motor is in good shape)
Old 4th February 2010, 12:28   #9
BHPian

as in carb or MPFI ? do you think carbs can reliably put out as much as power as the FIs?
Old 4th February 2010, 12:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

If you mod the engine from the stock, what happens to the entries in RC? Will that also be changed too? Pls help me understand.
Old 4th February 2010, 13:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
If you mod the engine from the stock, what happens to the entries in RC? Will that also be changed too? Pls help me understand.
Depends on how u mod it, Earlier (even now) engine swaps were preffered because of less hazzles with the RTO and hence insurance, however now the story is little different unless you know people in the RTO. So a no headache mod would be, to get the head replaced to a better 16 valve or DOHC head with bigger injectors rather that going for a complete swap. This wuld mean a lot less amount of hazzels both in terms aof easiy and tension free mods and RTO insurance guys being taken care off as the engine number remains the same.

Quote:
as in carb or MPFI ? do you think carbs can reliably put out as much as power as the FIs? .
If need be carbs can be tuned even better than an MPFI.

Pramod
Old 4th February 2010, 13:35   #12
BHPian

pramod when it comes to practicality, simplicity and reliability i think mpfis are better.my opinion though.to each his own.
Old 4th February 2010, 13:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
to each his own.

I would start my post from this quote , There is a reason why i prefer the no nonsense carb, In india we people still have those old cellphones even if we do not use them anymore, so the same logic goes to cars as well, people like the idea of giving a new life to their old work horses rather than going for a complete new one.
Now

Quote:
pramod when it comes to practicality, simplicity and reliability i think mpfis are better.my opinion though.
I would like to add practicality, simplicity and reliability can come in in a MPFI only when its factory done or done by an expert, Honestly tell me how many carbs to MPFI conversions have you seen in your life? I would say sreejiths gypsy(mexentric) would be the first one i will see in my life(if i live till that day ). Most of the people dich the plan in the middle especially because of the complex issues involved, this happens mostly with the injection system so people ususally convert their MPI's to Carbs when reliability becomes a major factor, and as far as simplicity goes its not that you just connect some plugs and it starts firing. There are many jugads to be done and ultimately its one of those jugads which gets you in the end. Now talking about practicality, the design which is not simple to implement and is known to be unreliable is never practical. Enough of gyan. in one word go carb.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 4th February 2010 at 13:49.
Old 4th February 2010, 14:34   #14
BHPian

well i have seen more than 10 such builds in the past 2 years itself.maybe its not all that popular in that part of the country but out here there are n number of such projects done and running successful on the streets. and yea why wouldnt anyone want an 85 bhp esteem stock to a lesser powered carbed esteem.
Old 4th February 2010, 17:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
well i have seen more than 10 such builds in the past 2 years itself.maybe its not all that popular in that part of the country but out here there are n number of such projects done and running successful on the streets. and yea why wouldnt anyone want an 85 bhp esteem stock to a lesser powered carbed esteem.
Hmm so you have been there done that, any ways let me requote my own statement, i have seen such conversions but i have also seen people reverting back to carb after some time due to persistant issues.

Pramod

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks