Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2005, 03:22   #1
BHPian

Rolla Modifying

hey people,
i have a 03 toyota corolla 1.8g (auto trans) and i dont want to break any bhp records but have some serious good fun with it.. what i really want to do is .. put some 18's on it.. and lower the car a abit... bodykits are a absolute no no/ about the mods here goes..

these are the upgrades that ive planned... i want to know what you guys think of it.. and should i add /remove some stuf....and also where in mumbai can i get it done resonable / good brands / price listings?

1) cold air intake (aem/knn)
2) catback exhaust (magnaflow/ borla or ne good brand)
3) Lowering Springs / shocks (confused about combinations?) (suggestions welcome)
4) header change 4 x 1 ..(custom built / costings? )
5) stronger brakes / brakepads ? (yes/not req for such a small upgrd)?

thats about it.. i dont really want to open the engine up... what do u guys think?

few extra questions

2) 18inch sports low profile (costings? tyres?) ??
3) trd steering (dream) lol... momo ? price?

hope you guys can help.. i know yall support vtecs n zens most but hey not everyone has them/ trying to have as much fun as i can with my car.. comments suggestions welcome .. thanx.
Old 3rd October 2005, 03:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

firstly ..modding an auto box wont really give you much of a drivers enthusiastic feel..

18inchers with lowered shocks -
you should stick to 17'' if you dont want to cut metal ..

catbacks are really expensive especially borla and magnaflow you will have to ship those ...catback wont really help much..

stiffening your ride will improve handling .thats where the corolla suffers a lot..
Old 3rd October 2005, 04:59   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
firstly ..modding an auto box wont really give you much of a drivers enthusiastic feel..
I dont quite agree with that... I have an automatic accord and belive me it is funnnnn to drive! The power surge you get when u press the accelerator down and the car responds in a second into a lower gear and blasts off jsut feels amazing!! Manual gives u a more controlled race car feel no doubt but i think if u just compare the fun factor automatic has a different experience in all....its a matter or personal opinion at the end i guess...
...Getting back to the topic... i like your idea abt the 18inchers coz the corolla wheel archs looks pretty incomplete with those small 15inch wheels that they give as stock. But i would seriously recommend you NOT to lower the car, you will as it is face problems with suspension and ground clearence coz of the 18inchers and lower the car doesnt quite look good on a corolla.. i have seen a few corollas lowered in the US and they just look cheap imo... I think just put the 18inchers first and then think abt lowering it coz i am sure u will get the look that u want once you do jsut that... 17inchers would be a better idea i think...18 will be pushin it a bit towards the bad ride quality side...have seen a few 17inch corollas in bombay and they look pretty damn big.
Free flow and air intake will give a good boost ... but if u really wanna kick it up a notch then turbo charging is the way to go... i dont have much knowledge abt the technical aspects about this but i am sure there are plenty of ppl around here who can guide you to fit an intercooler turbo in you corolla. And dont even think about changing the steering wheel dude coz you car has Airbags! y would u wanan get rid of that just to add a sportier steering wheel...safety comes first dood!
Old 3rd October 2005, 07:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

yeah man ..you mean the kick down eh ..but as you said
Quote:
the car responds in second

i drove the auto mustang before the i drove a stick shift mustang ..trust me there was a hugeee difference..

i'd suggest an intake system and suited free flow ..
i dbout 18'ers with lowered suspension wont work ..
Old 3rd October 2005, 12:35   #5
Team-BHP Support

zoheb, you gotta see this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showth...789#post124789
Old 3rd October 2005, 15:04   #6
BHPian

saw that corolla, after seeing all the bodkits and the outrageous prices. the bottom line i get onto. firstly u should go in for a car that drives and feels good rather then look good, the "LOOK" factor is only for small cars who want to get noticed.. and i dont blame them. its not like we have ford focus's or 206's here. a bit of bling bling will certainly get you noticed, but if you have a big car .. (which all of em look 2 good stock) puttin 50 grand + for 4 plastic peices is a WASTE of good money. in that u can get a wild system if u want, or even a rare set of rims.. which will make ur car stand out.. plus its more for college goin kidos flashing their pops money.! so body kits a absolute nono!

lol gettin back to all your questions...

turbo_lover .. i dont wanna change the transmission.. i know your right about a manual.. my gf has one and ive driven it too.. but im quiet the lazy driver lol.. and auto is def alot more fun..

you say cat back wont help... so u think i should just make a header + 5zigen muffler setup from automech. alot of you guys r praising them... ive heard they r louder then borla' n magnaflows..

or i can go in for a magnaflow catback.. slightly expensive but u think both will give me the same power n feel. or sound?

also about the 18ths bad quality ride.. yea i heard that might be a problem... so 17's it is then.. ne diea where i can pick up some 5zigens or oz wheels ? price/model?

sahil bhai... turbo is a no no.. firstly it costs alot.. plus i dont want to put in money with all the extra addons that ur supposed 2 put in ur car..i have no idea about costs for one...

i def want the corolla to handle better.. suggestions?
Old 3rd October 2005, 15:17   #7
Awaiting Email Confirmation

zoheb stick with the auto trnny we'll work on a mod that'll take away notions about the manual give itsometime though as mines in progress it already kicks ass when it comes to other manual hondas well you can ask the guyz who were at the lonavla meet rest 18" dont think so drop "17 spinners and tyres go for yokohama pretty damn neat, along with the drops it'll look killer and ofcourse consider a fuel presure regulator! keep goin on A/T some of the fastest cars in the world agree with us...
Old 3rd October 2005, 19:53   #8
BHPian

i was just wondering, how much would a turbo cost me?
all new ... a good one.. cost breakdown and things 2 get/ import./?? also how much of a power boost should i be expecting?
Old 4th October 2005, 16:30   #9
BHPian

ok.. lol one more question .. try n answer this without just closing the thread//

IF yall had a corolla. how would u start to modify it.
internals only plz...unless some exterior change helps the car in any way...
Old 4th October 2005, 17:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

If i had a Corolla i would put 17inch wheels on it first with wider rubber! Nothing for the interiors as such except leather seats! Wider tyres will let you exploit all 125horses and leave the Old Honda City Vtec to shame. Shantanu are you listening?
Old 5th October 2005, 00:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IF yall had a corolla. how would u start to modify it.
money no bar ?

suspension stiffening and dropped ride height ..
Air induction System
Well designed Free flow exhaust /or a straight pipe ..
Chip upgrade - to the corolla S specs ..
17''r wider tires
Old 5th October 2005, 16:37   #12
BHPian

yo turbo lover.. how much would ur setup cost.. especially the ecu chip?...you got all the standards ..which is what im thinking of right now.. it should "FREE" the toyota's potential i guess... more then enough for regular city driving... the next level would be a turbo upgrade i guess? ..mmmm expensive!
Old 5th October 2005, 17:11   #13
BANNED

Improve your brakes.

Since you have an auto transmission, you don't have the benefit of being able to downshift. The Corolla's pretty big and heavy too, so if you're going to make it go faster, you better be able to make it stop faster too.
Old 5th October 2005, 19:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
turbo upgrade i guess
That is high risk on a VVTi aka Variable Valve engine. YOu could blow it! Better not to mingle with that!

Most Viewed