Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2010, 13:51   #1
BANNED

Problems with my Ikon 1.6 ZXI . Please advice.

Ok my Ikon 1.6 (2002) done 80000 kms has gone for a check up at the service centre and here are the problems:

1) Suspension problems : Needs replacement of whole suspension, Cost 22K, If i dont replace then my tires will age faster but otherwise he says that there is no problem

2) Engine belt pulley : Pulley has acquired alignment problems & needs to be replaced, it is making an occasional 'click' sound after every 4 secs or so, however It is not damaging the belt yet, Cost is 12K

3) My exhaust is slightly damaged: I want to go for a automech one at 11.5K, However i dont know if it causes any problems to the ECU. Pls advice (my first modding job)

4) Temperature Gauge shows maximum temperature at just 1/3 level, should it not be at the halfway mark? Service guy says that gauge is alright & need not be changed but earlier it used to show temperature at the halfway mark.

Cost of repairs/modding = Rs. 46000
Present worth of the car = Rs 1,00,000

I plan to keep the car till Q2 2011, so do you think that these repairs should be undertaken?

Service guys highly recommend that i should not sell this car now & that the car is in great shape otherwise & should atleast get the suspension thing done up. Please Advice.

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 31st March 2010 at 13:56.
Old 31st March 2010, 13:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Mustang.101, what is the odometer reading at this point in time? Difficult to give an opinion about the suspension or the engine belt pulley in the absence of this information.

In my Ikon 1.6, IIRC, I got the suspension done close to the 95-100k kms mark.
Old 31st March 2010, 13:57   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Mustang.101, what is the odometer reading at this point in time? Difficult to give an opinion about the suspension or the engine belt pulley in the absence of this information.

In my Ikon 1.6, IIRC, I got the suspension done close to the 95-100k kms mark.
80000 kms & i intend to keep it till Q2 2011.
Old 31st March 2010, 14:38   #4
BANNED

I don't think worth spending that much, keep driving as much possible and sell off later. Buyer will never pay or appreciate that you have so much on car, he will only pay current market price.
Old 31st March 2010, 15:44   #5
BHPian

Is the situation such that you do not wish to part with the car?

I would suggest that you do not undertake the repairs, dispose the Ikon, and use the Fusion till you want to buy yourself a new car.
Old 31st March 2010, 16:01   #6
BANNED

@MuraliR - A dealer would take my car for a lac of rupees right now also as nothing is visible/audible currently but the problem is that i need to have 2 cars always, As my family members also are drivers, so one car for me & one for my family.
Old 31st March 2010, 16:07   #7
BHPian

Get the Fiesta yaar! Or the Figo?!?
But, if you love your car and don't mind living with this bill, I don't think there is a problem in getting it repaired, it all comes down to whether or not you want a NEW CAR or not.

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 31st March 2010 at 16:08.
Old 31st March 2010, 16:11   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
Get the Fiesta yaar! Or the Figo?!?
But, if you love your car and don't mind living with this bill, I don't think there is a problem in getting it repaired, it all comes down to whether or not you want a NEW CAR or not.

I want a new car & that has to be atleast a 1.6 engined car but the problem is that i want to wait for the new fiesta sedan to come out (in about a years time) & feel like prolonging the repairs till then. I dont want to buy the current one as i dont want guilt over my face if this present fiesta's price drops or is discontinued.
Old 31st March 2010, 16:22   #9
BHPian

I agree with the service advisors. It is worth getting the car fixed up with the list of repairs you have mentioned. Two options:

1. You don't repair & sell the car as is: You get 1 Lakh for the car and invest some more in a new one.

2. You repair & use till 2011and then sell: You get perhaps 80K for the car, have 2 cars without the investment in a brand new car. Money saved can give you even a modest 12%. Use it 2011 to get something new then.

Of course if finances are not a constraint, option 1 is the one to go for.
Old 31st March 2010, 16:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
80000 kms & i intend to keep it till Q2 2011.
Get the pulley done & forget about the Automech exhaust.

As far as the suspension is concerned, do you have a breakup for this? 22k for an Ikon suspension sounds a little expensive to me.
Old 31st March 2010, 16:35   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Get the pulley done & forget about the Automech exhaust.

As far as the suspension is concerned, do you have a breakup for this? 22k for an Ikon suspension sounds a little expensive to me.
It costs that much only. The pulley does not seem to cause any damage on the belt though
Old 31st March 2010, 16:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1) Suspension problems : Needs replacement of whole suspension, Cost 22K, If i dont replace then my tires will age faster but otherwise he says that there is no problem

4) Temperature Gauge shows maximum temperature at just 1/3 level, should it not be at the halfway mark? Service guy says that gauge is alright & need not be changed but earlier it used to show temperature at the halfway mark.
The Temperature guage keeps at the 1/3 mark for all the years I have owned my car since new. So dont worry.

About the suspension part. What does the service advisor mean by saying the whole suspension needs replacement.

Recently the prices for all the suspension components have dropped considerably. Some components like springs can be retained.
Old 31st March 2010, 16:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

I guess almost everyone here has out it up. 50G is not worht on a car that is driven so much and has very low resale value.

By 2011, you should be lucky to get around 75-80. On the high side that is. Not worth spending that much money. Sell the car, get about a lakh. Add either the other 50 or pust some more and go in for a new car or even a used sedan or so.

Make more financial sense
Old 31st March 2010, 17:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It costs that much only. The pulley does not seem to cause any damage on the belt though
mustang, Ikon parts are soo expensive?
Get the suspension, pully and temp fixed. For the exhaust you can get an OEM ikon exhaust for 5-6k.
I did the same for our esteem's exhaust which needed replacement.

Would you really sell of your ikon? dont you have some kind attachment to it?
If I were in your shoes, I would repair and keep the car for another 2-3 years and them maybe sell it for 80k
Old 31st March 2010, 17:06   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
mustang, Ikon parts are soo expensive?
Get the suspension, pully and temp fixed. For the exhaust you can get an OEM ikon exhaust for 5-6k.
I did the same for our esteem's exhaust which needed replacement.

Would you really sell of your ikon? dont you have some kind attachment to it?
If I were in your shoes, I would repair and keep the car for another 2-3 years and them maybe sell it for 80k

OEM exhaust for the Ikon without the catalytic converter costs 12K & & with catalytic converter <---- God knows, The parts for Ikon 1.6 are really expensive, The new Ikons have really cheap parts.

Most Viewed