Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2010, 16:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
On another note - a turbocharger is gives good returns in terms of bhp per rupee spent! A diy turbo setup will probably cost a little over the regular "FFE+air-filter+plugs+wires+ignition-upgrade" mod.
Are you serious ? All of your mentioned Stage 1 mods may not take more than 40K-45K.

Even a second hand turbo install will be 50K upwards, unless...your DIY includes design & development of the Turbo itself
Old 2nd April 2010, 18:22   #17
BANNED

dudes dont you think ,flooring the accelerator hard to the ground will make you go faster Just joking

You have already specified every point in the 1st post so there is nothing much more to say !
Old 2nd April 2010, 19:11   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
A Cam should cost you around 15-20K depending on profile. But as those engines are DOHC, multiply it by 2. So an approx estimate of 30-40K
Quote:
Originally Posted by singh.amrit View Post
How much does a cam upgrade cost. say for a corolla or civic ?
I've got cams for my corolla for 17k (crower) from the US,a friend carried it with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
A cam upgrade needs a remap to work with the different profile.
A not so wild cam can work without a remap, though it will work better and to its fullest potential with a remap. I have used my stage 2 cams with the stock ecm for about 5-6 months, there was a definate increase in power with the stock ecm.

Turbo should be the best bang for the buck if its done right the first time, Unless you go the diy way like pranav and your good at it like him and dont blow it all up sky high

Last edited by paras211 : 2nd April 2010 at 19:20.
Old 2nd April 2010, 20:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
I've got cams for my corolla for 17k (crower) from the US,a friend carried it with him.

A not so wild cam can work without a remap, though it will work better and to its fullest potential with a remap. I have used my stage 2 cams with the stock ecm for about 5-6 months, there was a definate increase in power with the stock ecm.

Turbo should be the best bang for the buck if its done right the first time, Unless you go the diy way like pranav and your good at it like him and dont blow it all up sky high
Are you saying that I'm doing a turbo setup?
Old 2nd April 2010, 20:42   #20
BHPian

Talking about weight reduction... I guess one should consider reducing their weight as well

I mean Last year I saw many Biker's at Speed Run who had stripped bikes for weight reduction purpose but they themselves were looking too heavy ...
Old 2nd April 2010, 21:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

But how much is "much"?

Without having a fixed budget, its not possible to suggest anything.

Things like cams, turbochargers, superchargers etc aren't exactly a cheap way of getting performance out of the car.

Shan2nu
Old 2nd April 2010, 21:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
But how much is "much"?

Without having a fixed budget, its not possible to suggest anything.

Things like cams, turbochargers, superchargers etc aren't exactly a cheap way of getting performance out of the car.

Shan2nu
True. "Fast" and "much" are both variables. For some, even a simple mod like Tri-phase is enough, and others won't bat an eyelid while spending 50k on a Standalone ECU + Cam upgrade.
Old 2nd April 2010, 21:54   #23
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Point noted. Now Ill tell you my personal example. I have a car which has a Stage 1 cam fitted (Piper, made specially in England for a Fiat 1100 engine) and I also have a car which has a stock cam. EVERYTHING ELSE on the two cars are identical, yet, the car with the cam put out much more power than the one without the cam.

Also, I am sure there is enough "intake velocity" in a stock setup so as not to push air out of the intake valve. HAve never heard about that happening.
The Fiat 1100 can't be compared with more modern cars. The air intake is much more free flowing than in todays cars.

On modern cars I would not attempt to fit a cam before sorting the air intake.

I just had on Sunday a rolling road meet in the London area.

On a Citroen C2 VTS we gained 18lb ft of peak torque with even more at low rpm and 12bhp peak power with induction revision only. A cam that is raod worthywould not have given this amount.

On the turbo Diesels we can get out at least 15% more power before it starts smoking. No cam would be able to do this when the turbo can't get the air in.

Maximum intake velocity is needed to increase torque dramatically at lower rpm, but the intake needs to be designed to be able to deliver enough air at high rpm without killing potential.
Old 2nd April 2010, 21:56   #24
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
A Cam should cost you around 15-20K depending on profile. But as those engines are DOHC, multiply it by 2. So an approx estimate of 30-40K
It also costs setting them up and it is advisable to use vernier pulleys as well as re-mapping the ECU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
On another note - a turbocharger is gives good returns in terms of bhp per rupee spent! A diy turbo setup will probably cost a little over the regular "FFE+air-filter+plugs+wires+ignition-upgrade" mod.
None of the DIY conversions will be as cheap as this.

Many people have done them with engines blowing up, costing a lot more than the few things mentioned above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viraj_s85 View Post
Talking about weight reduction... I guess one should consider reducing their weight as well

I mean Last year I saw many Biker's at Speed Run who had stripped bikes for weight reduction purpose but they themselves were looking too heavy ...
And leave wife/girl friend at home.

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd April 2010 at 22:20. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the Multi-Quote button to quote multiple posts. Thanks!
Old 2nd April 2010, 22:31   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Even a second hand turbo install will be 50K upwards,
How did you come up with this figure. A brand new turbo will cost you about 1/3 of that.
Old 2nd April 2010, 23:00   #26
BHPian

What I have understood from people who have taken the forced induction route is that these jobs are pretty expensive, one needs to place atleast 2 lakhs if the parts that goes in are new..

FFE could be the best way to tap the wasted power on a vehicle. I have read about fibre glassing of doors to reduce weight on a diff forum..
Old 3rd April 2010, 08:07   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
How did you come up with this figure. A brand new turbo will cost you about 1/3 of that.
I am not talking about Turbo as a stand alone unit. I am talking of a Turbo Install, which ll include Intercooler, BOV, all housings and Plumbings, etc..

I came with that figure (which is actually 1/3rd of whats mentioned there)with reference to this article,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...tml#post489460
Old 3rd April 2010, 10:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
I am not talking about Turbo as a stand alone unit. I am talking of a Turbo Install, which ll include Intercooler, BOV, all housings and Plumbings, etc..

I came with that figure (which is actually 1/3rd of whats mentioned there)with reference to this article,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...tml#post489460
Getting a reliable build with brand new equipment along with a tuned/remapped ECU is not possible unless you have more than atleast Rs. 100K to spend. Budgets are usually never stuck to, equipment that wasn't included in the initial budget are suddenly deemed extremely important and problems are usually unearthed along the way. Not been to any tuner myself since I prefer doing my work myself, but this is the usual story with almost everyone I've asked.

Last edited by pranavt : 3rd April 2010 at 10:05.
Old 3rd April 2010, 13:08   #29
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Getting a reliable build with brand new equipment along with a tuned/remapped ECU is not possible unless you have more than atleast Rs. 100K to spend. Budgets are usually never stuck to, equipment that wasn't included in the initial budget are suddenly deemed extremely important and problems are usually unearthed along the way. Not been to any tuner myself since I prefer doing my work myself, but this is the usual story with almost everyone I've asked.
Just my experience. I decline requests of turbo conversions in these days, because most ofthe people think totally wrong about it.

In the UK you have to spend a minimum of £7,000, which (if I am right) is about Rs. 50k, but this doesn't give you internals strong enough to make use of the turbo to the full. Realistically, to make it reliable it is at least double needed.
Old 3rd April 2010, 15:31   #30
BHPian

The only way to go faster without spending much is to strip your car down. That's it. Again, "faster" is an approximation and will eventually depend on the car you start with. If you want to couple "faster" with "reliable", please be prepared to shell out the big bucks.

@ Cyrus - If I were to replace the cam on my Civic with high-lift, what do you think will happen to the lower end? As it is the Civic comes into its own only after 3500 rpm

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks