Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2010, 19:25   #1
BHPian

Hooking up a Motorcycle Trailer / Carrier

Hi I posted a thread in "CAR" section and was advised by another BHPian to post it in the mods section.

I'm in USA and in the process of bringing my Harley bike to India. My bike roughly weighs around 675 lbs dry weight.

I've zeroed in on buying a pickup truck (Xenon) or a SUV (Safari) in India.

I came across a nice site in USA who sells MC trailer that can be hitched to your commute.

Pls have a look at it and pls let me know if this can be attached to a safari.

Heavy Duty Motorcycle Carrier - Joe Hauler Deluxe Heavy Duty Cam-Loc at DiscountRamps.com

Note: A fellow BHPian who rides safari told me that he checked his vehicle and it seems difficult to put it on to a safari.

Help needed
Old 20th April 2010, 20:49   #2
BHPian

I dont see a reason as to why it should not be possible. It may need a little work but in India if you get the right man for the job, he will do a great job.
But personally I dont think its a good idea as in the crazy traffic, the heat and dust and the scooters, autos, rickshaws you will end up damaging your beloved motorcycle some way or the other. And not to mention parking it with a motorcycle up there will be impossible.
You will be better off just riding it where ever you want to go.
Else you can look at something like this if you get a Xenon.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...away-home.html

Last edited by akshaymahajan : 20th April 2010 at 20:50.
Old 21st April 2010, 11:28   #3
Team-BHP Support

shrini78,

If you get a Xenon - what would be the point of having this out back? Wouldn't you just want to load the bike onto the bed itself?

cya
R
Old 21st April 2010, 11:46   #4
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Shrini

There are a couple of things you need to keep in mind before you decide on anything. I bought a truck for this purpose hence I know. The Xenon bed is too short for a Harley. Its less than five feet. Even with a bed extender you won't be able to fit the bike. One option is to cut open one half of the roof and back of the cabin so the bike can comeup behind the front passenger seat. But that's ruining the Xenon.

Second option is a Tata 207 single cab with an 8 ft load bed, like what I bought for my VFR but problem with this is you cannot register it on white plates (private) hence everytime you travel out of your state you need to get a road permit. You also need to have a commercial vehicles' driving license which I needed to get to officially drive this

Third option is a Tata Winger. Its a large minivan which you can kit up for your long journeys with a/c and other goodies. Downside is the fact that its an van. Limited use !

The wheeled trailer option really is the best. When not in use simply store it in a garage. You can opt for an SUV and simply hook it up. That way your main car will be loads more useable. As has been rightly pointed out traffic is a big issue for trailers but obviously since you plan to have the bike on trailer when on highways you could leave early to avoid the congestion. Get a closed lockable trailer if you can.

BTW I don't think that bike carrier is a workable option for anything sold in SUV's here in India. It would dramatically alter the car's behavior with such a massive weight hung out behind. Its risky

Last edited by DKG : 21st April 2010 at 11:52.
Old 21st April 2010, 11:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
If you get a Xenon - what would be the point of having this out back? Wouldn't you just want to load the bike onto the bed itself?
+1
I don't doubt the cam loc, I seriously doubt if Safari/Xenon could with stand the weight of the motorcycle. How about getting something like this?
Old 21st April 2010, 11:54   #6
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
How about getting something like this?
This would be the best and ideally if its a closed trailer which is lockable. Imagine coming down from a hotel room in the morning to find half the goodies off the Harley stolen !!
Old 21st April 2010, 12:01   #7
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Something like this would be perfect Shrini. It can also take all the riding gear and spares/tools etc along with your precious cargo

Hooking up a Motorcycle Trailer / Carrier-single2990big.jpg

Last edited by DKG : 21st April 2010 at 12:03.
Old 21st April 2010, 12:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Imagine coming down from a hotel room in the morning to find half the goodies off the Harley stolen !!
Never thought about this point. I would've suggested the other one but for its cost + shipping to India. Otherwise Shrini would need your help to build one here.
Old 21st April 2010, 12:22   #9
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Never thought about this point. I would've suggested the other one but for its cost + shipping to India. Otherwise Shrini would need your help to build one here.
If not theft you can rest assured half a dozen things on the bike would be buggered by curious bystanders meddling with it. And what about the over enthusiastic romeos wanting to pose sitting on someone else's bike? Some moron would invariably yank the Harley off the stand only to drop it onto its side as he didn't suspect the bike weighed like an oil tanker.

In 11 years my VFR has never ever been left parked away from my gaze when I am out with it. You could almost start a new religion with the number of times you chant "Please don't touch the bike"

Last edited by DKG : 21st April 2010 at 12:24.
Old 21st April 2010, 17:22   #10
BHPian

Couple of options I thought to myself.
I really wanted to buy a trailer enclosed or worst case open trailer.
I really know the pain of towing a trailer with my drive.
Here in USA its lots simpler to tow a trailer but I just doubt it's gonna be hell of a ride to tow a trailer in IND with so much traffic congestion..

That was the main reason I chose a cam loc trailer where you just fix it to your drive all the time.

Do remember the cam loc trailer only weight 100lbs so leaving it on the truck/suv wont be that big of deal and when the bike sits on it it will be <800lbs.

I need to check with xenon or safari for their towing capacity. I certainly think that they would be able to tow 800lbs...

The other reason I dont want to buy a trailer is, I dont know how much customs I need to pay if i've to bring from USA also I need to register the trailer(Its a different ball game)In my case I just hook it up to the car which needs nothing...

Finally I just think if xenon or safari doesnt work out, then i'll eventually settle for FORD EXPLORER which should tow..

My one question to you guys, Even if I buy thinking that the trailer can be hooked and say I bring to IND and realise that it cannot be hooked, will there be someone who can modify it to fit the vehicle?
This part I wanna make sure coz the trailer by itself is some 650$

Last edited by shrini78 : 21st April 2010 at 17:27.
Old 21st April 2010, 17:23   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
shrini78,

cya
R
I really doubt this, the bed of xenon might be smaller...
Old 21st April 2010, 17:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrini78 View Post
The other reason I dont want to buy a trailer is, I dont know how much customs I need to pay if i've to bring from USA also I need to register the trailer(Its a different ball game)In my case I just hook it up to the car which needs nothing...

Finally I just think if xenon or safari doesnt work out, then i'll eventually settle for FORD EXPLORER which should tow..
My only question will be - is that pain worth taking? Why not construct something here in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrini78 View Post
My one question to you guys, Even if I buy thinking that the trailer can be hooked and say I bring to IND and realise that it cannot be hooked, will there be someone who can modify it to fit the vehicle?
Your best bet on this would be none other than DKG
Old 21st April 2010, 23:09   #13
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Shrini a good used Tata 207 will cost about 2-2.5 lacs. Brand new I paid 4 for it. Now your importing a solution should cost well within 1 lac to make it worth the effort. In any case get some chocks and tie downs and a good quality foldable bike loading ramp.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks