Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2010, 10:33   #1
mxx
BHPian

Dark sunfilms

I see on the roads that most cars with sunfilms have very dark ones, including my relatives and friends.
We all know that it is not legal(correct me if i am wrong on this), and i think the legality issue has been discussed in other threads.
So, leaving the legal part aside, my question is mainly to people on this forum who already use such dark sunfilms.
1. Does it not cut down reaction time is unforseen situations especially at night?
2. Does it not reduce the visibility at night to an extend that you might not even notice dark objects like say a large bolder, raised platforms etc.
Old 24th April 2010, 10:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Dark sunfilms increase the probability of accidents as they hinder the communication between drivers. I have experienced this myself.
Old 24th April 2010, 11:47   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
1. Does it not cut down reaction time is unforseen situations especially at night?
2. Does it not reduce the visibility at night to an extend that you might not even notice dark objects like say a large bolder, raised platforms etc.
The answer to both the queries is a big yes!

It is quite risky to have dark sun films. Night driving with such sun films is a strict no no.

In places like Delhi they are no longer allowed to be put. However I must hasten to add that for driving in the daytime there is absolutely no problem with such sun films.
Old 24th April 2010, 12:00   #4
mxx
BHPian

To take the topic a little further what in you opinion is the recommended tint level?
Old 24th April 2010, 13:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Dark tints really affect your peripheral vision, though I see many people don't really bother about that and just cut in and out of lanes as they please without checking whats going on around them
Old 24th April 2010, 14:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Dark tints really affect your peripheral vision, though I see many people don't really bother about that and just cut in and out of lanes as they please without checking whats going on around them
Yes, its the real issue we face on highways. In addition, reversing/turning at very narrow roads are also difficult during dark.
Old 25th April 2010, 09:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

I had street-legal RE50 films in the sides for about 9 months before Madras' heat made me go for the darkest from 3M - CS 5. It has a rated 8% visibility from the outside, and is doing a great job of keeping the heat and sun off.

I am not sure how other dark films are, but with what I have, even if you have a mildest light outside, the visibility from inside to out is pretty good - good enough for me to react as required. I do the Blore - Madras jaunt quite often, and did not face any visibility problems. The only spot where I had a problem was in my street, where my garage is in absolute darkness. And my solution for that is simple - power windows, roll them down!

My take is: there is absolutely no arguing that visibility takes a hit. There is nothing to beat clear glass / 50% visibility. But there are solutions that are pretty dark and visible too, provided the driver is able to adjust to the difference in experience.
Old 25th April 2010, 10:36   #8
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I had street-legal RE50 films in the sides for about 9 months before Madras' heat made me go for the darkest from 3M - CS 5. It has a rated 8% visibility from the outside, and is doing a great job of keeping the heat and sun off.

I am not sure how other dark films are, but with what I have, even if you have a mildest light outside, the visibility from inside to out is pretty good - good enough for me to react as required. I do the Blore - Madras jaunt quite often, and did not face any visibility problems. The only spot where I had a problem was in my street, where my garage is in absolute darkness. And my solution for that is simple - power windows, roll them down!

My take is: there is absolutely no arguing that visibility takes a hit. There is nothing to beat clear glass / 50% visibility. But there are solutions that are pretty dark and visible too, provided the driver is able to adjust to the difference in experience.
The notion that cooling increases with darkness is wrong. Atleast with good quality sunfilms, you dont need a very dark one to improve cooling.
Old 25th April 2010, 11:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

Well, thats the way it worked for me, and the budget I have
Old 25th April 2010, 11:30   #10
BHPian

mxx,

i agree with the fact that visibility decreases with darker film, but i have the darkest 3M film installed in my cars. The reasons being , privacy, better cooling and also to an extent camoflauge the valuable things in the car like my sunglasses, laptop, camera and office documents.

The darker films have reduced the visibility, but i have adjusted to this over a period of time. i have never had the slightest of problem.It does call for being a little more cautious while driving in unknown cities & streets.
Old 25th April 2010, 12:04   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

We are into a vicious cycle

spew more pollutants--> increase ambient temperature--->use comfort cooling(AC)-->spew even more pollutants-->raise temperature further-->use darker film--->and on and on and on

I have seen people switch on their ACs the moment they start the car-even at 6 in the morning.Aren't we pampering ourselves too much?

Coming back to the sun film issue,I'd say go for the most efficient stuff - which has the max VLT.

Last edited by vigsom : 25th April 2010 at 12:05. Reason: correction
Old 25th April 2010, 13:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
We are into a vicious cycle

spew more pollutants--> increase ambient temperature--->use comfort cooling(AC)-->spew even more pollutants-->raise temperature further-->use darker film--->and on and on and on

I have seen people switch on their ACs the moment they start the car-even at 6 in the morning.Aren't we pampering ourselves too much?

Coming back to the sun film issue,I'd say go for the most efficient stuff - which has the max VLT.
I don't understand what some people have against using ACs. Do you have any tested evidence to prove that using ACs in the car increases pollution? In fact, in most cases keeping the windows closed and having the AC on is known to improve FE and thereby reducing the carbon footprint.
I am a person who uses AC 99% of the times and here are some reasons
1. Too much pollution/dust (Pollen during early mornings)
2. Safer to keep the windows closed in signals with valuables like mobile and laptop in the car
3. Personally I can't take hot climate. Put me in Antarctica and I'd be very happy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks