Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2005, 10:07   #1
BHPian

Upgrading my 2002 Zen LXi

Hi! Everyone,
I came across this forum while googling to find a good paint shop to paint my boring blue zen to yellow! Loved what I saw and decided to join and pick your brains!

I travel between the USA (Midwest) and Chennai. I drive a Nissan Maxima SE in the USA (V6, Bose audio, the works!) and ride a Honda Nighthawk 750 when weather permits.

The Zen in Chennai is pretty basic. It has a Pioneer sound system(don't remember the model number) and 4 poorly wired speakers all of which is on its way out!

I want to buy some of the upgradeable parts here in the USA and take it to Chennai when I visit in a couple of months.

Where can I buy some of these parts? Is it better to get them in Chennai (please let me know where), Bangalore or USA?

1) Paint Shop

2) Headlight, tail light, turn signal bulbs or complete upgrade kits (I was thinking about some of the High Intensity upgradable bulbs made by Sylvania)

3) Fog Lamps (the car has a front crash guard - not sure if I should keep it. I would if I can mount fog lamps on to it)

4)Shift knob (Does the Zen have a threadable shift knob?!)

5) K&N filter (model number?). I have one in my Maxima!

6) Sound system - I am thinking about buying a Sony CDX-F5510 CD/Mp3 player and using four speakers made by Bazooka that I had picked up 2 years ago that are languishing in Chennai. They are 6 inch. Will they work? (My dad drives the car and too many wires running around, the way it is with the current audio setup, spooks him. I would like the installation to be clean and if that means simple, so be it!)

And finally, do you guys know of any good workshop in Chennai (or Bangalore which is a distant second choice) that would do a good job?

Thanks in advance.

Zensible
Old 14th October 2005, 10:24   #2
Team-BHP Support

Ref: Sound System: let me welcome you to the Dark Side. All of us who dwell there reside here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39

1. Which model year is the Zen?
2. What are the model numbers on the 6" Bazooka speakers.

The 5510 will suit your needs I am sure others on the above methioned forum will offer you alternates.

The Zen wont take 6" speakers in the front without modification. A MDF spacer ring might help if your speakers are not too deep.

You could install 6" speakers in the rear on a parcel tray. If however the parcel tray is not possible then the other alternate is to get 2 boxes and put one on each side. Just make sure you get ones where the 6" fire upwards towards the passengers and not towards each other.

A small 4 channel amp like the Sony 504 will help a lot too. Start with this. If this system does not meet your needs Sam, Gunbir and co will take it from there.
Old 14th October 2005, 10:34   #3
BHPian

Navin,
Thanks for your reply. It is a 2002 model Zen.

I don't remember the model numbers of the Bazooka Speakers.

Where can I find the Amps you mentioned and what is a good price?

Zensible
Old 18th October 2005, 07:54   #4
BHPian

Thanks Navin and Nitrous. With your helpful inputs and liberal use of the "Search" function here, I have accumulated enough info to get started.

The automech site is awesome. I had no idea such quality exhaust systems were available for the Zen! My only concern would be how noisy that would make the car!!
Old 20th October 2005, 05:57   #5
BHPian

OK guys. I have narrowed down what I want based on what I have read here on TBHP. The Zen install pics of Mclaren have made me decide on 4 inchers for the front.

I like your name Mclaren. I was at the Indianapolis Speedway in June this year to cheer Kimi (even paid an atrocious $40 for a Kimi signed Mclaren hat). The whole thing was a fiasco even though I got to watch Karthikeyan race. Don't much care for Schumacher
I was at Stand 10 at the chicane. The way those V10 engines screamed once out of the chicane was unbelievable! The sound and the speed....... TV speakers don't do it justice.

Anyway, here is what I am thinking for my Zen guys. Let me know what you think.

1) Sony CDX-F5710
2) two 4 inch Rockford Fosgate P142C for the front
3) two 6 inch Bazookas (don't know the model number, it's in India)
4) a Bazooka CS8A 1X50W Amplified Subwoofer.

Last edited by Zensible : 20th October 2005 at 05:58.
Old 20th October 2005, 23:20   #6
BHPian

Quote:
I drive a Nissan Maxima SE in the USA (V6, Bose audio, the works!)
Dude, I envy you, thats a very nice car you drive!!

Quote:
1) Paint Shop

2) Headlight, tail light, turn signal bulbs or complete upgrade kits (I was thinking about some of the High Intensity upgradable bulbs made by Sylvania)

3) Fog Lamps (the car has a front crash guard - not sure if I should keep it. I would if I can mount fog lamps on to it)

4) Shift knob (Does the Zen have a threadable shift knob?!)

5) K&N filter (model number?). I have one in my Maxima!
There are many good paint shops in Madras, you can come down and decide where you want to get your car painted. PM me when you are in town.

For the lighting upgrade,there is not much you can do about it except putting some good Philips white light bulbs. For fog lamps you have a lot of choice and you can install it with the crash guard too.

Zen, to my knowledge does not have a threadable gear knob.

K & N filter also you will get locally but I am not sure if it will be cheaper than in the US.
Old 21st October 2005, 00:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

i suggest u bring the audio parts alone from the US. The other items mentioned above are available in chennai.
Old 21st October 2005, 21:52   #8
BHPian

4)Shift knob (Does the Zen have a threadable shift knob?!)

Can someone please throw light on what this is????
Old 22nd October 2005, 07:38   #9
BHPian

AJ,
In some cars you can unscrew the gearshift knob by twisting it counter-clockwise, like the cap on a water bottle. This would make upgrading to a sporty, round shiftknob easier.

Apparently, the Zen does not have it. I am guessing that it has a knob that is moulded to the stick. This makes replacing a custom shiftknob difficult because it will involve cutting the stick right below the shiftknob and fitting it with a custom knob that attaches to it with 3 tension screws. (Guys, correct me if I am wrong here)

There are tons of nice custom shiftknobs out there. I even saw a totally bling-bling one with 7 multi-coloured LEDs that flashed various patterns and ran on a button-cell!

I personally prefer one that has a titanium finish on it with a crosshatched band around it for grip and also has the gearshift pattern etched on top and NO LEDs
Old 22nd October 2005, 14:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensible
Shouldn't the crash guard go? The crash gaurd will do more damage than it is actually worth in case of a head on impact! I remember the maruti user manual even specifically stating NOT to use a crash guard.
Old 22nd October 2005, 15:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I even saw a totally bling-bling one with 7 multi-coloured LEDs that flashed various patterns and ran on a button-cell!
had in my sumo for a fortnight before breaking it while driving on the highway. it was a taiwanese one, i guess
Old 23rd October 2005, 07:25   #12
BHPian

Hi! Guys,
Just bought the Sony CDX-F5710 and the Bazooka CS8A 1X50W Amplified Subwoofer today, a few hours ago!

Nitrous, Per your suggestion, I am not buying any of the wiring.

The head unit has a high and low pass crossover. But, I don't think I can use it because I am not connecting amps to the preouts.

I am hoping that the Bazooka would kick in enough bass to make this system go and the head unit does have a dedicated preamp sub out and therefore I should be able to control the volume from the head unit.

I had mentioned about the Rockford-Fosgate 4 inch fronts. But, after reading the section on front speakers on "The Car Stereo Cookbook" by Mark Rumreich, I am leaning towards the Bazooka RS400.

Any thoughts?

Nitrous,
Too bad about your shiftknob!

Technologist,
I am not too keen on the crash guard. My Dad likes it because he thinks it is a worthy deterrent to the autos in the city!

Is there another way to fix "Hella-Type" lamps to the zen besides mounting it on the crashguard?
Old 28th October 2005, 08:49   #13
BHPian

Bazooka CS-600

Navin,
I just found out that the 6" Bazookas were model number CS-600.
I am planning to use them on the rear.

I am still undecided on the 4" fronts. The HU is a Sony CDX-F5710.
Like I mentioned in my earlier post, I have also got an amplified Sub, a Bazooka CS8A.

I'd like a 4" pair that would handle enough bass in the front so I don't hear all the bass from the sub in the back.

Ideas/suggestions welcome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks