Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2010, 17:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

Difference between Iridescent & Pearlescent Paint?

Hi guys,

I own a 2005 Silky Sliver Swift Vxi and planning to give the car a new coat of paint. I do not plan to change the colour of the car and want to keep it Silver as it will be an issue when I plan to sell it off in another 3 years or so. I would however, like to probably have the silver shade a bit different or a bit customised. I saw a Honda Civic in my area which had a superb finish as the colour or shade of paint changed when you looked at it from a different angle. The shade changed from purple to pink at different angles and really looked cool. Now, i believe this is called Iridescent Paint?? I was googling around for the same and also came across Pearlescent Paint.

I would like to have my Swift painted in Silver Iridescent Paint with that changing shade look so that at least the stock silver remains intact. Now, here are my questions.

1. What is the actual difference between Iridescent & Pearlescent Paints or finishes?
2. What are the different colour combinations available?
3. Are these paint jobs expensive to do and maintain?
4. Where in Mumbai can I have this done & at what price range?
Old 11th May 2010, 03:28   #2

I have seen that Civic Too. Possibly the BEST paintjob in Bombay. DOes anyone have pictures of her here? And pearl you can get at most paint shops, irindiscent you cant.,
Old 11th May 2010, 05:00   #3
BHPian

I had something of that sort on my astra years ago it changed colour between blue and green, and a silver shade on my w140 which changed colour to light green and blue upon sunlight and angle one looks at it. All the shades are available at standox Mumbai
They recently have launched a new shade called Liquid Silver which awesome but a bit expensive.
Old 11th May 2010, 05:37   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi guys,

I own a 2005 Silky Sliver Swift Vxi and planning to give the car a new coat of paint. I do not plan to change the colour of the car and want to keep it Silver as it will be an issue when I plan to sell it off in another 3 years or so. I would however, like to probably have the silver shade a bit different or a bit customised. I saw a Honda Civic in my area which had a superb finish as the colour or shade of paint changed when you looked at it from a different angle. The shade changed from purple to pink at different angles and really looked cool. Now, i believe this is called Iridescent Paint?? I was googling around for the same and also came across Pearlescent Paint.

I would like to have my Swift painted in Silver Iridescent Paint with that changing shade look so that at least the stock silver remains intact. Now, here are my questions.

1. What is the actual difference between Iridescent & Pearlescent Paints or finishes?

1. It seems there isn't an actual difference between them. Iridescence is basically the effect created by the paint. Pearlescent might be a name for lesser change in colors versus iridescent paints.

2. Well colour choices might be satisfactorily large.

3. The paint itself will be expensive, but otherwise there won't be any added costs to paint or maintain.
Old 11th May 2010, 08:04   #5
BANNED

Hi,
What you are mostly referring to is a 3 stage pearl paint job. Its also called flip flop effect. Had the same thing done on my City. The paint looks different when viewed from various angles or based on the light falling on it.

Should cost you anything from 75k to 1.25l depending on who you get it done from and the brand of paint and material used.

Viper
Old 11th May 2010, 13:06   #6
BHPian

Hey,
how much would it cost to get an alto painted like that and who in delhi would be able to do it. my car is black and i want to retain the black but have the reflection change colors. that would be super stellar,
BoOm!
lilMonSter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2010, 15:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
I have seen that Civic Too. Possibly the BEST paintjob in Bombay. DOes anyone have pictures of her here? And pearl you can get at most paint shops, irindiscent you cant.,
Absolutely! It is truely the best paint job I have seen till date. I thought it could be the work of Rio but didn't see his trademark 'RIO' badge. It is absolutely flawless!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anish9000 View Post
I had something of that sort on my astra years ago it changed colour between blue and green, and a silver shade on my w140 which changed colour to light green and blue upon sunlight and angle one looks at it. All the shades are available at standox Mumbai
They recently have launched a new shade called Liquid Silver which awesome but a bit expensive.
Ok. So where did you get this paint job done?? Does Standox have a website as I tried googling and it fetched no results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,
What you are mostly referring to is a 3 stage pearl paint job. Its also called flip flop effect. Had the same thing done on my City. The paint looks different when viewed from various angles or based on the light falling on it.

Should cost you anything from 75k to 1.25l depending on who you get it done from and the brand of paint and material used.

Viper
You could be possibly right about the 3 stage paint job. Where did you get your City painted from? If this paint or paint job costs so much, I am sure the painters are professionals. Who would you recommend in Mumbai? Till now I have only heard and seen paint jobs done by Rio and they are really good.
Old 11th May 2010, 16:38   #8
BHPian

@ epic : The painting done inhouse.
The contact details as per their web site is

Standox India
E I DuPont India Private Limited

7th Floor , Tower C , DLF Cyber Greens ,
Sector 25A ,DLF City , Phase -III
Gurgoan 122002
Haryana , India

Tel. +91 22 28390770 Extn : 5055
Fax +91 22 28393960
Email: Sheril.V.Vaidhyan@ind.dupont.com
Old 11th May 2010, 17:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anish9000 View Post
@ epic : The painting done inhouse.
The contact details as per their web site is

Standox India
E I DuPont India Private Limited

7th Floor , Tower C , DLF Cyber Greens ,
Sector 25A ,DLF City , Phase -III
Gurgoan 122002
Haryana , India

Tel. +91 22 28390770 Extn : 5055
Fax +91 22 28393960
Email: Sheril.V.Vaidhyan@ind.dupont.com
Hi Anish,

Thank you for the details. I just contacted them and they are the suppliers of the paint only. They do not do paint jobs for cars. I did ask him that what if I just buy the paint from him and get the painting done elsewhere? he told me that it is not recommended as a local garage might use the high quality paint but will use low quality putty and primer which can lead to corrosion later.

He has advised to get the car painted at Sai Service as they supply Dupont products there and all materials used for painting are from Dupont.

I will still however check other places including Rio Designs.
Old 11th May 2010, 17:20   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi guys,

We only have Pearlascent paints in India my friend

And the only car that comes with such paint job from the manufacturer is the TOYOTA COROLLA.

The painting technique is all the same as a normal metallic silver painting. You got to mix certain quantity of liquid Pearl available at authorised paint shops in your city to the Clear coat and spray it normally.

The only cost difference would be to the Pearl shade Costing about Rs.250/- per milli litre. and for a car like Swift, you only need 5ml of them.
Old 11th May 2010, 17:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

And the only car that comes with such paint job from the manufacturer is the TOYOTA COROLLA.

The painting technique is all the same as a normal metallic silver painting. You got to mix certain quantity of liquid Pearl available at authorised paint shops in your city to the Clear coat and spray it normally.

The only cost difference would be to the Pearl shade Costing about Rs.250/- per milli litre. and for a car like Swift, you only need 5ml of them.
Hi Pavan,

Whether only Pearlescent Paint is available in India is besides the point. I am sure that if any other kind of paint is required, it can easily be imported of available with shops involved in customising cars. However, your post is very informative. So are you saying that a Pearlescent Silver colour will look different as compared to the stock Silky Silver available on the Swifts? Is the difference noticeable?

My main question was, what is the difference between Iridescent & Pearlescent Paint and where can this be done in Mumbai?
Old 11th May 2010, 18:07   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

Hi,
You are mistaken a 3 stage paint process is totally different.

Viper
Old 11th May 2010, 18:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Can someone kindly mention/explain the major difference between these two paints or finishes (if there is any)?. Like the difference in application procedure, materials used and cost involved? Many of you have even mentioned having it done on your cars but none have expained the procedure and cost involved or from where in Mumbai you got it done.
Old 11th May 2010, 19:04   #14
BANNED

Hi Epic,

To do a proper 3 stage paint job the car has to be prepped correctly. Make sure you use the same brand of raw material as the paint to ensure perfect finish. After the prepping stage is over you need to apply a basecoat (colour will depend on the shade you choose. Once that is over different tinters are applied in a specific order which are sealed with a clear coat to give the flip flop effect. This is as simple a explanation as I can give.

Viper

Last edited by GTO : 12th May 2010 at 15:32. Reason: As per the reported post
Old 11th May 2010, 19:37   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Hi,
You are mistaken a 3 stage paint process is totally different.

Viper
Quote:
Hi Epic,

To do a proper 3 stage paint job the car has to be prepped correctly. Make sure you use the same brand of raw material as the paint to ensure perfect finish. After the prepping stage is over you need to apply a basecoat (colour will depend on the shade you choose. Once that is over different tinters are applied in a specific order which are sealed with a clear coat to give the flip flop effect. This is as simple a explanation as I can give.

Viper
Pearlascent paint is done in the same way as any normal metallic paint. I am right in what i said.

I was involved in one of the experiments done by my friend on his car. The process is same and as expensive as ordinary metallic.

There are no pre-defined painting procedures penned down. Different manufacturers use varied methods of painting.

Maruti's use PPG and Sikkens, Hyundai's use ICI , whereas those paints are considered useless by people like me.

Last edited by GTO : 12th May 2010 at 15:32. Reason: Editing quoted post which has been edited too

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks