Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2010, 19:52   #1
BHPian

Modding My BMW 525i

Hey Team,

So I just purchased a pre-owned 2006 BMW 525i in Titanium Silver in January. The car has only clocked about 11,000km. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to spend too much time with this baby, only about 15 days as I'm back in HK.

However, I'll be going heading up to Mumbai again in a couple of weeks and I am really keen to get some mods done on the car, I have the following in mind:

1. An upgrade on a new set of tyres and rims (at the moment it is running on 17" and run-flats). I am really keen to get a set of 18" but not sure which ones yet.
2. An air intake - I'm new to this stuff and not sure which brands are suited for BMW. But all I know is that I want optimum sound and performance from it!
3. An exhaust setup - again new to this stuff.
4. Black Tints - thinking of Garware
5. I want to install some sort of iPod adapter, since the iDrive can't play MP3 formatted songs and I don't have an AUX port. Anyone know of how to do this?

Can you guys please give me your input on the modifications I have in mind as to which brands would you suggest, where I can get these done, for how much, any constraints on them, etc. Also I don't wanna be spending too much money, so if you could suggest cost-effective products.

If possible, I might try and buy some of the parts from here that you guys will suggest such as the air intake, something relatively small.

Thanks!
Old 14th May 2010, 10:19   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

1. Get rid of the runflats ASAP. If you MUST have 18inchers then it's got to be with tubeless and they would be at par with comfort levels of 17inchers with runflats. My suggestion is stick with 17inchers+ a tubeless tyre; that's a good combination of handling & comfort (look in the tyre section for the same). If you are bored of the rim design, you can get them painted(Mazda in Tardeo did a good job on my rims) to a newer finish or get a better design of 17inchers of a reputed brand.

2. Intake & Exhaust - I wouldnt recommend using our local stuff (with all due respect to it's makers) go on to e60forums.net you will find your answer there. This mod will be expensive so be prepared. You could also look at an ECU remap if you want more power, but the most simple mod you can do is start using Speed97 fuel !

3. Garware tints have a very reflective look, get Llumar Steel 35 - that's closest to black shade that I have found.

4. iPod adapter would be available with Navnit or Inifinty but it would be costly. Hence I suggest you order an OE on from Ebay and get it fitted from the dealership here. Make sure you buy the one thats specific to your model/year. Here is a link that will help you get the exact part number required RealOEM.com Online BMW Parts Catalog
Old 14th May 2010, 15:37   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the response Sahil.

1. Yah I've heard a lot about the need to change to non-run flats/tubeless tyres. Thats one reason for the change. Well it's not really a must, but since I'm changing the tyres I might as well change to 18". But would that affect ride quality? Also don't 17" look small on our cars? Regarding the painting, is it possible to get the OE rims painted/dipped in chrome? Which tyres would you suggest?

2. Alright thanks, I'm already a member on one of them so I'll snoop around. Nah, I don't wanna get a re-map this soon. Maybe after a year or so if I get bored. I always fill the speed (not the regular petrol) at gas stations, is that the one you're talking about? Any specific petrol companies/stations you suggest?

3. Alright I'll get the Llumar's.

4. I asked the guy I bought the car from, Hemal, at Infinity Motors and he said that the car doesn't have an AUX port because it wasn't produced with one and therefore it would be really expensive to get one installed . However, I looked around on the link you gave me and got this: RealOEM.com BMW E60 525xi Retrofit, auxiliary connection. Thats the part needed to be installed right? If so, then that is defintely not expensive and I'll go for it!

Also I've paid for the BSI+R plan, but just haven't signed the papers yet (which I'll do when I'm back up in Mumbai), but would installing any of the mentioned mods void the warranty? Also which service centre would you recommend, Navnit or Infinity? I can give it either of them under the BSI+R plan right? And you take the car for servicing ony when it says that one of the parts need servicing or something right?

Sorry for asking so many questions, I don't really know how things work around for the Beemer and Bombay .
Old 15th May 2010, 15:11   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
you can get them painted(Mazda in Tardeo did a good job on my rims) to a newer finish
Sahil,

Where exactly at Tardeo? Contact details please.

Don't you have issues with the paint flaking?
Old 15th May 2010, 16:35   #5
Muzungu

' A picture is worth more than thousand words'..goes a chinese saying!

please post some photos and do justice to your car and this thread!

Old 15th May 2010, 18:59   #6
BHPian

Sorry I had some awesome photos on my camera, but I lost it! I will definetely click and upload some when I get back after a couple of weeks.

However, the picture below is pretty much how it looks with the same colour and rim design:

Can you guys please give me advice/answer my queries below
Attached Thumbnails
Modding My BMW 525i-2007bmw525ismall.jpg  

Last edited by krazyking : 15th May 2010 at 19:03.
Old 17th May 2010, 15:30   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyking View Post
Regarding the painting, is it possible to get the OE rims painted/dipped in chrome? Which tyres would you suggest?

2. I always fill the speed (not the regular petrol) at gas stations, is that the one you're talking about? Any specific petrol companies/stations you suggest?

4. Also which service centre would you recommend, Navnit or Infinity? I can give it either of them under the BSI+R plan right? And you take the car for servicing ony when it says that one of the parts need servicing or something right?
Like I said, please browse around our tyre section for suggestions.

Do NOT put speed, it is not recommended by BMW, now has it shown any significant advantage till date. Speed97 is 97octane petrol.

I prefer Navnit, biggest reason being- I have a Team-BHPian looking over my car hence I don't need to worry. Contact Maverick on the forum, he will be able to guide you about warranty etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Sahil,

Where exactly at Tardeo? Contact details please.

Don't you have issues with the paint flaking?
Mazda Motors is in the same compound as Four Seasons tyres, opp Crossroads Mall. Parvez - 9820049442.

No flaking problems what so ever, he uses only Sandox products, excellent job!
Old 26th May 2010, 07:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Like I said, please browse around our tyre section for suggestions.

Do NOT put speed, it is not recommended by BMW, now has it shown any significant advantage till date. Speed97 is 97octane petrol.

I prefer Navnit, biggest reason being- I have a Team-BHPian looking over my car hence I don't need to worry. Contact Maverick on the forum, he will be able to guide you about warranty etc.

Mazda Motors is in the same compound as Four Seasons tyres, opp Crossroads Mall. Parvez - 9820049442.

No flaking problems what so ever, he uses only Sandox products, excellent job!
Oh wow, I've been putting Speed all along, must've filled the tank up 5 times with that! Better stick to regular petrol or 97Octane like you suggested. Is there a list anywhere with pumps that supply it? I live in Santacruz (W).

Okay, thanks I'll get into contact with him.

As for the mods, I'll be postponing them for 6 months - 1 year since the car has barely been run-in well in stock. Allows me to do some research as well and get the best stuff. Also might consider getting the wheels painted now, and possibly change the tyres. Will look around on the tyres section soon for advice. However, I'll definetely be getting those tints. Being in Hong Kong with only 30C is insane hot, I don't want to imagine it with 35C in India!
Old 9th December 2011, 08:30   #9
BHPian

Re: Modding My BMW 525i

So I'm going to deff mod the 525i now. I'm planning on getting a cold air intake and putting on white angel eyes for the time being. And then maybe getting some body stuff during the summer. This is the intake and white angel eyes that I'm planning on getting.

aFe Stage 2 Cold Air Intake E60 525i/530i

MTEC V3 CREE LED Angel Eye Bulbs BMW E60 540 545 550 M5 | eBay

Any advice/comments?
Old 9th December 2011, 19:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyking View Post
Sorry for asking so many questions, I don't really know how things work around for the Beemer and Bombay
Get all your stuff from HK itself. Its a mecca for hi-end cars/accessories and the parts will end up cheaper. Plenty of people can do the install in India.
Old 9th December 2011, 19:47   #11
Team-BHP Support

If you're interested in body-work, I strongly recommend you get this:

Modding My BMW 525i-mtech.jpg

It's the optional M-Sport package that is available at BMW dealerships, if I'm not mistaken. Definitely worth it, since it gives it a much beefier look. Don't forget the lip-spoiler too. Not only is it subtle, it gives the 5er a more rounded and sporty look, and coupled with the right wheels, it could pass off as an M5 to the untrained eye.

I concour with Mpower.

Get your stuff from Hong Kong. Should be cheaper, and there are mechanics reliable enough to install it for you, once you get it down. If you want it done in India, I suppose you could contact Four Seasons, or Petes, for high-quality mods. Red Rooster Performance and Race-Dynamics are options worth considering, if you're interested in taking it up a notch.
Old 9th December 2011, 22:39   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Race-Dynamics are options worth considering, if you're interested in taking it up a notch.
I'm not so sure about race dynamics, I have read about them being caught lying to customers , stealing parts and fleecing customers by giving them shoddily built unreliable cars at crazy prices!

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 9th December 2011 at 22:42.
Old 10th December 2011, 01:12   #13
Team-BHP Support

Heres my honest reply as to what you should do -

Get the CAI to give you a slight bump in performance.

Get the M sport body kit that suhaas has posted.

Get some nice 18" rims, order original BMW rims. BMW makes great rims and I don't think you need to go aftermarket unless its for BBS or something.
BMW alloy wheels | Genuine new 18" BMW 184M | fits BMW 5 Series E60 | Alloy Wheels Direct Ltd

You wanna go a step further? Here
M54B25 Twin Screw Stage 1 (TS1) - ESS Tuning | BMW Tuning Parts | BMW Racing, Tuning, Aftermarket, Performance Parts | Engine Power Chips | Performance Upgrades Chip

Or an exhaust?
GTHAUS - Meisterschaft Performance Exhaust Systems ::: ver 3.0
Old 11th December 2011, 04:52   #14
BHPian

Well firstly, to clear it for everyone, the car in question is in Bombay and will be modified there. I doubt I'll be able to get an aFe air filter in Hong Kong, at least not at the price I do here. Secondly, I don't know the reliability and quality of products in Hong Kong.

Does anyone know how much the M bodykit costs approximately?

Also, not trying to make any extensive mods right now. Might put on an exhaust during the summer though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks