Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2010, 21:07   #1
BHPian

Modding an old friend - Accord v6

Hello all,

A bit of background:
I have a 2005 Accord v6 that i absolutely adore. It has been a faithful friend ever since and even tholugh its 5 yrs old, I cant bear the thought of parting with it.

Its only done 30K-ish kilometres, which is quite low for a car of its vintage..

Now i feel i owe my old friend some spoiling. To be honest, I dont know what I should do to it. The paints a little scratched up, which is to be expected, but nothing terrible. It is completely dent free/ rust free etc. Alloys are shot to hell, but work! it has fairly new oem bridgestone tyres.

What can I do which will rejuvenate my car? Not too keen on ICE, recently set it up with an aux cable and thats serving me fine for now.

What I have in mind are performance mods. Perhaps new tyres, or maybe an exhaust, brakes, ecu whatever. I dont want to spend a huge amount on it right now, unless you can convince me otherwise!

So go ahead TBHP, what would you do to ur Accord, if you wanted to give it a mid life nip-tuck?

All help is greatly appreciated!
Old 18th May 2010, 21:32   #2
Team-BHP Support

you have an s350 for luxury. why not have a nice quick car which you can use at nights or something?

if there are no dents then just send it for a good polish/wax job. get the exterior and interior detailed. it will look just as good as new then.

why not add a simple 4 channel amp and get new speakers for the front and the back. it will make quite a difference to the sound. also get some damping done on the 4 doors and even the floor if necessary. it will make the car seem built better and will help in the noise insulation quite a lot.

when it comes to tyres, since your rims are shot why not change them? you can stick to 16" or 17" and i suggest you get 225 width tyres since the stock ones are waay to thin. the new rims would change the look of the car completely.

after you do the tyres/rims look at an intake. that will give it a nice sound and improve the top end quite a bit. i just added a k&n to my accord.

please also do AT LEAST get upgraded pads and maybe rotors if nothing else. the stock brakes are crap for a car this powerful.

the exhaust and remap will make the car noticeably faster.

i think if u do all this you will wanna keep the car for a few more years. it will become pretty fun to drive.
Old 18th May 2010, 21:38   #3
BHPian

Hi Akshay..

Went through your entire thread a couple of days ago btw, so i guess your car has inspired me.

All your suggestions sound great. Im not an audiophile, so am not particularly bothered about more ICE. As long as it plays songs from my ipod im good. I would like to mod it in ways that make it drive better.

What brake pads do you recommend? Where should i get them fitted etc.?

I would like to stick to a budget, so please mention prices with ur sugestions, that would be extremely helpful!
Old 18th May 2010, 22:09   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrspeed12 View Post
Hi Akshay..

Went through your entire thread a couple of days ago btw, so i guess your car has inspired me.

All your suggestions sound great. Im not an audiophile, so am not particularly bothered about more ICE. As long as it plays songs from my ipod im good. I would like to mod it in ways that make it drive better.

What brake pads do you recommend? Where should i get them fitted etc.?

I would like to stick to a budget, so please mention prices with ur sugestions, that would be extremely helpful!
if ice dosent bother you then forget that, but still consider damping. it will lessen the squeeks and rattles from the doors, after all its a jap car.

lots of options for brake pads, from ebc to hawk. but i have read up a bit on them and i dont know how much better they perform on stock rotors, so changing rotors might be a good option too. the way i see it any improvement in the brakes is good. brake pads could be around $80-100 a set without shipping. rotors im not sure about the cost.

well the rims if changed would cost between 25-35k depending on brand and whether 16" or 17". tyres could be between 6k-10k+ per tyre again depending on size and brand.

if sticking to 16" i think the stock size was 205/60 r16 in which case 225/55 r16 would be perrfect otherwise for 17" 225/50 r17 is the best.

the exhaust i dont know what your planning. i know a bolt on magnaflow costs about 55k here from n1 racing, i had enquired. if getting a custom exhaust i dont know how much it would cost, probably about 12k tops without mufflers, and you can get magnaflow mufflers for 10.5k a piece (you will need 2).

a remap would cost around 32-33k if done from zakie. that would give you a significant gain. since your in mumbai you can do dyno runs before and after all the mods.

if you do want the handling a little better (it will improve once you upgrade rims and tyres) then you can do up the suspension also. you can either just change the shocks to bilstein for about 45k or get a coilover set which would be a bit more expensive.

all in all i think 1.5l would be a good budget for all this, infact maybe 15-20k more.
Old 18th May 2010, 22:28   #5
BHPian

Aftermarket performance parts for the Accord are quite expensive, i received a lowest quote of 22K for a FFE for 2.4L four pot. so expect it to be more northwards. You can go for a good exhaust, Good rims, smoked tail lamps.. etc etc. Incase you are not interested in looks, go for a FFE and an ECU remap.

Last edited by cruiser@0523 : 18th May 2010 at 22:31.
Old 18th May 2010, 23:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Which engine does the Accord V6 have?
Old 18th May 2010, 23:23   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Which engine does the Accord V6 have?
it has the j30a4 slightly detuned from the american 240hp.
Old 19th May 2010, 00:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Seems like the headers are integrated into the head like in the new Civic's R18 engine. So aftermarket headers are out. Intake revisions should free up good power. Since the throttle is drive-by-wire and the car's an automatic, it's best to get an ECU remap if you can get one. Standalones will have their own problems with the car's electricals.
Old 19th May 2010, 00:24   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Since the throttle is drive-by-wire and the car's an automatic, it's best to get an ECU remap if you can get one. Standalones will have their own problems with the car's electricals.
aah yes forgot to mention to the threadstarter. look at something like a sprintbooster. when driving fast the throttle lag can get irritating. maybe the remap will take care of that.
Old 20th May 2010, 12:46   #10
BHPian

I have decided to either get an intake and exhaust system, or get the ecu redone.

What do you think? Which would offer more bang for the buck? and any suggestions as to where i should get this done??
Old 20th May 2010, 14:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

You can't do much to the exhaust apart from getting a straight pipe minus the cat-con. The intake will free up a good amount of power. Can you paste a couple of pictures of the engine bay? Since it's a V engine, it's best to either get an aftermarket intake manifold if those are available, or freeing up the intake past the throttle body towards the air-filter.

As for the ECU, can you provide the model number of the ECU? I'm not familiar with Accord internals.
Old 20th May 2010, 14:44   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have decided to either get an intake and exhaust system, or get the ecu redone.

What do you think? Which would offer more bang for the buck? and any suggestions as to where i should get this done??
if you ask me, the remap would give you the most bang for your buck, but also get an intake along with that. you can leave out the exhaust for now.

well for remaps there is only zakie and some other guys in mumbai, i forget their name.

check out V6 Performance.net for some ideas.
Old 20th May 2010, 16:28   #13
BHPian

Quote:

I say get the exhaust+ECU or intake+ECU, but the exhaust seems like a better option, as someone pointed out, get a straight pipe minus cat-con.
Old 28th May 2010, 01:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

and do all this FAST! The long pending drive still illudes ;-)

Most Viewed