Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2010, 21:32   #1

Jeep Wrangler JK (Automatic) *Conversion*

Hi All, I want to buy a jeep and would like to modify it as a jeep wrangler JK, latest Jeep model released after 2007. I have named the project as Project Jeep Wranger JK. For now, i am looking to make a 4*2 vehicle and fitting an automatic gear box. I have driven it in US and would like make one here for myself. I currently looking at driveability in Delhi traffic. The plan is to later on convert it into a 4*4.

I don't want to get it made at Mayapuri, the reason is that my friend had got one from there and the JeeP sucks big time.

I need advise on where should i buy a chasis from, which chasis to buy, any specific engine-auto gear box combination suitable for the JeeP.
Old 6th July 2010, 00:43   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I feel the best way to accomplish this will be to buy a Scorpio Automatic and a really big Chain Saw.

Converting from 4x2 to 4x4 is way complicated especially if you are planning to build an automatic jeep from the chasis up. It is better to go for a transmission with the 4x4 transfer case right in the beginning itself. Hang around in the 4x4 forum for a couple of days and all your doubts will be cleared.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 6th July 2010 at 00:44.
Old 6th July 2010, 09:45   #3
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

4X4, and Auto both required - only one choise as 4X4addict mentioned - The Scropio 4X4 AT.

Both 4X4 transmissions and Auto are complex mechanisms to add later on, so the best way out would be the expensive Scorpio route, actually after getting it you may be better off modifying it the way a few have modified (read reinforcing) the Scorpio rather than sawing off the roof - which would compromise the body structure, plus be quite criminal to do in a Scropio.

Cheaper alternative, get a Scorpio chassis Engine, Transmission, & AT Transfer case ordered new (everything except the body, the seats, the interior plastics) as spares and then build a body on it.

Or else a bit of compromise on the AT dream.
Old 6th July 2010, 19:58   #4

Thanks for your response, buying a Scorpio is not a problem but not a choice. I would like to build a jeep myself (DIY). I had a 500 sq ft garage, which i have converted into my personal workshop.
How about using the MM550, army jeep for my project?? I have seen a couple of them and a bit confused as both the vehicles had different chasis designs. One was C Type chasis and the other one was Box type chasis.
Old 7th July 2010, 10:13   #5
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Rockcrawler - lets say that you do get the MM550, what are your plans for the AT transmission source and the engine source - do you plan to use the 550 engine as well?

Are you sure the two you saw were both 550 and not 550 and 540?
Old 7th July 2010, 18:20   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcrawler View Post
Thanks for your response, buying a Scorpio is not a problem but not a choice. I would like to build a jeep myself (DIY). I had a 500 sq ft garage, which i have converted into my personal workshop.
How about using the MM550, army jeep for my project?? I have seen a couple of them and a bit confused as both the vehicles had different chasis designs. One was C Type chasis and the other one was Box type chasis.

Mr. Rock Crawler we final have some one who is interested in details about chassis. I have read a no. of threads but never replied on any. I thought I should share some details with you. You might have seen two models of 550 itself. The major differences in the MM550 (old chasis) and MM550 New Generation Chassis(NGC) are as follows:

1. The old chassis has C –section long members while the NGC has box section long members.

2. The old chassis had a T-section in the front where the bumper is fitted while the NGC has a round pipe cross member and no T-Section.

3. The Second cross member under the front grill was a box section with bend on both ends in old chassis while in the NGC it is two C- Sections closed together with a hole on the right for the steering joint to pass through.

4. The box section NGC came in 1997-98 in the Armada. For the civilian MM550 DP /XD/XDB I am not sure whether they came with NGC but they were available in MM 550 versions of Quadro and MM550 ISZ (Isuzu petrol engine). I think that in 2004 only Mahindra had supplied army MM550 with NGC.

Mahindra went in for box section chassis as they had problems of chassis cracking. In think for normal mild off-road use the old chassis was O.K but if you fly or dive in the JEEP the chassis can develop cracks. Some people prefer the old chassis for off-roading as it had more flex improving the suspension travel and articulation slightly.

From the world war JEEP C-Section chassis to NGC the basic chassis design remains the same. If you wish you can also box your chassis by welding another C- Section making it stronger.

My recomendation: You should go ahead with the NGC model though it will be difficult to find one.
I hope you have followed the detailed difference. This should help you select the model for your project.

Cheers for your project.
Old 8th July 2010, 21:27   #7

Project on the Move - Toyota 22R Automatic & MM550 Box Chasis

Thanks for your valuable inputs Mr. Rubicon 2010 and Mr. ACM.

Mr. ACM, I was also looking for an answer to the same question that you had asked me, what engine, gearbox should i use to power the Jeep. I had been researching it from a long time but was not sure if i will be able to get it here. Actually, today was a very lucky day for me or the way i word it is "All energies flow in the direction, Wherever your attention goes". After spending almost two days, I have found what i was really searching for.

I finally found the kind of engine that i was looking for sometime. I have found the Toyota 22R along with an auto box. Toyota 22R Engine Specs

Cubic Capacity: 2.4 Ltr Petrol Engine
BHP: 108 hp (81 kW) at 5000 rpm
Torque: 187 N·m at 3400 rpm.

The 22R worked as U.S.Toyota's most dependable workhorse engine for about 20 years during 1975 to 1995. The engine was used in vehicles such as Toyota Celica, Hilux/Pickup, 4Runner. The engine has some immense power, tried and tested by a lot of enthusiasts in the United States. You can watch some vedios on You Tube .

Mr. Rubicon, Thanks for your Advise, I was not able to find the MM550 Box Chasis in the disposal market after enquiring every corner of Mayapuri. But, finally got it from an old time friend who had bought it about a few months back to build a jeep, on which he could not start work due to personal reasons. He was about to get started, now he has joined hands with me in my project. I am delighted as things have started moving and i have a partner in fulfilling a dream that we both saw of owning a Jeep back in school days.

I have posted some pics of the engine and the chasis below.

You own a jeep, when you make one.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Wrangler JK (Automatic) *Conversion*-toyota_22r.jpg  

Jeep Wrangler JK (Automatic) *Conversion*-toyota22r__a43d.jpg  

Jeep Wrangler JK (Automatic) *Conversion*-mm550_boxchasis.jpg  

Old 10th July 2010, 00:25   #8
BANNED

Hi Rockcrawler

Congrats ,but how will you register your jeep if your are gonna change the engine and transmission? i think it will be a problem.

I MM550 the engine and chassis number are same and in your case it will be different.
Old 10th July 2010, 20:26   #9

Ripping off the Jeep - MM550

We have ripped off the jeep and have started work on the differentials. We have to work on the rear differential, for which we are looking at higher differential ratio than 4.88, which is in the current jeep. The primary reason for doing this is because Diesel engine gives higher torque at lower rpm as compared to a petrol engine.

The other way to do it could be by reducing tyre size but we are not ready to compromise on the tyre size based on the vision to convert this into a 4*4 later.

We plan to do the rear differential and front axles by tomorrow and will move on to fire the engine next.

Mr. Joshguy, it is a nice question but i think we will get it done the way a number of them are happening from almost a decade now. The MP people are expert at it and will be consulting them for this. Currently we are focussed on to get it up and running.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Wrangler JK (Automatic) *Conversion*-1_ripoff.jpg  

Jeep Wrangler JK (Automatic) *Conversion*-2_ripoff.jpg  

Jeep Wrangler JK (Automatic) *Conversion*-3_ripoff.jpg  

Jeep Wrangler JK (Automatic) *Conversion*-4_ripoff.jpg  

Jeep Wrangler JK (Automatic) *Conversion*-rear_diff_1.jpg  

rockcrawler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2010, 15:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would like to build a jeep myself (DIY). I had a 500 sq ft garage, which i have converted into my personal workshop.

I have seen a couple of them and a bit confused as both the vehicles had different chasis designs. One was C Type chasis and the other one was Box type chasis.
please give more information on your 500sq ft garage (tools etc).

& detailed hi resolution pictures of bare ngcs chassis.

Old 11th July 2010, 16:00   #11
BANNED

Rockcrawler ,looks like your jeep needs lot of attention in the painting & tinkering departments.

All the best mate
Old 11th July 2010, 16:17   #12
BHPian

Rockcrawler g8 project and g8 planning too, I too had such plans for my Toyota fj Model 1972 but later scraped it as unable to source the AT way back in 2002 and went for a manual gear.

Now planning to again re-do it again as you are doing, will stick to this thread for all the details and will count on you once you are done with it.

All the best.
A.H
Farooq
Old 13th July 2010, 13:02   #13

Quote:
We have ripped off the jeep and have started work on the differentials. We have to work on the rear differential, for which we are looking at higher differential ratio than 4.88, which is in the current jeep. The primary reason for doing this is because Diesel engine gives higher torque at lower rpm as compared to a petrol engine.

The other way to do it could be by reducing tyre size but we are not ready to compromise on the tyre size based on the vision to convert this into a 4*4 later.

We plan to do the rear differential and front axles by tomorrow and will move on to fire the engine next.

Mr. Joshguy, it is a nice question but i think we will get it done the way a number of them are happening from almost a decade now. The MP people are expert at it and will be consulting them for this. Currently we are focussed on to get it up and running.

hi Rockcrawler
That's an awesome chassis. If you read my point no. 2 on NGC you can now correlate with your last photo. you are a lucky guysto get that chassis.
wish you luck with your project.

cheers.
Old 13th July 2010, 23:01   #14

Need Help:

I am a bit stuck with firing the engine as the ignition coil on the engine is missing. I got a new ignition coil from the market but now i find that i am not getting the right amount of spark from the spark plugs. Can someone help, what can be the possible reasons, I have checked the spark plug and they look fine.

Does it have anything to do with the ignition coil?
Old 16th July 2010, 10:02   #15

Q & A

Sorry for not being able to answer your queries, was busy with solving some problems at hand.

Mr. Jeepster, will try and get you a snapshot of both the chasis and then you can compare. The workshop has some basic tools

1. Saw Cutter
2. Hand Grinder
3. Table Grinder
4. GCM 10 Compound Mitre Saw
5. Metal Cutting Grinder tool
6. Drill Machines
7. Milling Tools
8. V-Bending 4ft
9. Complete Welding solution with Tig Welding, Electric Welding and Gas Welding
10. Torque Wrenchs and various other small tools

Mr. Joshguy, paint job is our concern as well and we want the best quality as it matters a lot. I am planning to consult the 3M team for the paint job process to guide us throgh the latest paint job process followed in majority of paint shops globally. Denting on the tub should get completed today and will be able to throw some light on this after having a discussion with them.

Thanks for your appreciations Mr. Ferrari and Rubicon

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks