Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2010, 06:02   #1
BHPian

Convertible Esteem!

Ever since i decided to part off with my Esteem, it was a very emotional moment for me . so what i finally did was, park it at my office and ever since, it has been standing there. Its driven maybe a 10 KM a month , washed daily but standing there. So i cecided, let us do something about it ! I started working on photoshop and ended up doing this not so good mod on this white esteem found on google images when until recently, i found that actually an esteem convertible existed overseas under the same Cultus Convertible ! I've attached both the images and wondering..is this something doable and if, anyone has done this yet in India ? How difficult would be to find convertible stuff for the roof etc. ? Your feedback is appreciated on this !

Thanks all !
Attached Thumbnails
Convertible Esteem!-esteem.jpg  

Convertible Esteem!-esteem-convertible.jpg  

Old 10th July 2010, 08:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delhi2009 View Post
Ever since i decided to part off with my Esteem, it was a very emotional moment for me . so what i finally did was, park it at my office and ever since, it has been standing there. Its driven maybe a 10 KM a month , washed daily but standing there. So i cecided, let us do something about it ! I started working on photoshop and ended up doing this not so good mod on this white esteem found on google images when until recently, i found that actually an esteem convertible existed overseas under the same Cultus Convertible ! I've attached both the images and wondering..is this something doable and if, anyone has done this yet in India ? How difficult would be to find convertible stuff for the roof etc. ? Your feedback is appreciated on this !

Thanks all !

Dear Friend,

Making a car into a convertible one is not just chopping of the roof, the Roof plays a important role in the structural rigidity in the new generation chassis. and i am not sure if there are modifiers who can handle this to perfection. Your car will flex like a soap box and will turn into a royal pain in no time. The best option would be to modify the car under the hood and improve the suspension and understand why an esteem is still a rally favorite in india and accross the world.Keep the car stock lookwise, Let me know if you have any questions regarding this. as per me a convertible is a total waste of the car and the money atleast in india.

Pramod
Old 10th July 2010, 09:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

The Cutlus was based on the 2 door hatch and has a shorter WB...so its slightly better for chopping. You will need to add body stiffeners in many key areas.

Do a search..one gentleman in Gujrat has done an Esteem vert already.
Old 10th July 2010, 18:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

If you are willing to spend some money, why not get it converted in a two door. Arush of Autopsyche had some similar work with an Ocatvia. He can do it as per your taste.

Here is the link to the Octavia's thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...via-coupe.html
Old 10th July 2010, 19:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

You might want to take it to a professional who knows the structural impact of chopping a roof or getting something removed from the car shell. Cosmetically, if you want it to look better, you might have to work on the front portion of the car to make it broader. Like a Mustang or something, the nose is too pointy now.
Old 10th July 2010, 19:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Ashutosh, <autopsyche> Arush should be able to make your esteem a headturner.

Or check this one out:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ed-esteem.html

Raab Rakha.
Old 10th July 2010, 20:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delhi2009 View Post
is this something doable and if, anyone has done this yet in India ? How difficult would be to find convertible stuff for the roof etc. ? Your feedback is appreciated on this
Already tried by a TBHPian, check it out.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-soft-top.html

Last edited by HammerHead : 10th July 2010 at 20:49.
Old 11th July 2010, 03:26   #8
BHPian

I want the car to Look elegant . Anything messy or too funky would'nt be my type. Im researching this a bit more and currently gathering all the views of Cultus Convertible . So the task here is to find someone who can do an ELEGANT Job to the car and not do a BALATKAAR to my car !
I've attached a few more photographs i found about this car. If anyone has any more photographs or any Tech specs about the exterior of the car especially the door size etc, please do share it here !

So coming back to the question, is anyone aware of any vendors in Delhi who install the convertible roof on the cars ? If so, please be kind enough to share details here ! Thanks !
Attached Thumbnails
Convertible Esteem!-cultus-convertible.jpg  

Convertible Esteem!-cultus-convertible-2.jpg  

Convertible Esteem!-cultus-convertible-3.jpg  

Convertible Esteem!-cultus-convertible-4.jpg  

Convertible Esteem!-cultus-convertible-5.jpg  

delhi2009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 15:37   #9
BHPian

My Esteem Convertible

I am a proud owner of a 6 year old Maruti Esteem Vxi. I simply love the car. But I also have a dream - a dream of owning a convertible some day. The thought of the wind blowing my hair while driving is a major turn-on.
So here's what I would like to do.
I would like to modify my Esteem into a convertible. When I want it, the soft top comes out and when I don't it goes back to some unknown compartment behind.
So here's the dilemma.
Who would do a conversion job such as this in Chennai? And most importantly, how much moolah would I have to shell out for a good quality job. It should look professional - heads should turn when my car is on the roads. Hopefully the cost of the whole project should not be more than the IDV of the vehicle. And of course, how long would it take.
Till I get my answers, I dream on.......Esteem.....convertible......long drives.....wind in my hair......yiiiippppppeeeee!!!!
Old 27th January 2012, 22:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

re: Convertible Esteem!

Well on the more practical side you could consider the option of a sun roof.It may not be a 100% convertible but will probably give you 20% of the wind in the hair feeling without having to compromise the safety of the car.Just a thought.Besides do you really want to cut/chop your favorite car ?

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 27th January 2012 at 22:53.
Old 27th January 2012, 23:26   #11
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Esteem Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabidansari View Post
I am a proud owner of a 6 year old Maruti Esteem Vxi. I simply love the car. But I also have a dream - a dream of owning a convertible some day. The thought of the wind blowing my hair while driving is a major turn-on.
So here's what I would like to do.
I would like to modify my Esteem into a convertible. When I want it, the soft top comes out and when I don't it goes back to some unknown compartment behind.
So here's the dilemma.
Who would do a conversion job such as this in Chennai? And most importantly, how much moolah would I have to shell out for a good quality job. It should look professional - heads should turn when my car is on the roads. Hopefully the cost of the whole project should not be more than the IDV of the vehicle. And of course, how long would it take.
Till I get my answers, I dream on.......Esteem.....convertible......long drives.....wind in my hair......yiiiippppppeeeee!!!!
Sir,

Remember, removing the roof of your car is not as easy as going to the salon and getting a hair-cut. It's not going to grow back when you're tired of it. So do you really want to go ahead with this?

Most chop-jobs are not 100% guaranteed. What I mean is, you will have to shell out a considerable amount of money, and you might be left with a car with no roof, a leaky canvas top and a whole-lotta squeaks and rattles as you drive along. Even if it's a thoroughly professional job, you are going to mess with the dynamics of the car. It will never be as rigid and as reliable as before.

And unfortunately, your prized Esteem-vert (thank you Mpower ) might land up in the 'Weird and Wacky mod-jobs' thread. You wouldn't want that now, would you?

So think about it long and hard, before you put your money down on a fad that you might not enjoy a few years down the line. It's not worth butchering a perfectly good car and then letting it rot in some godforsaken garage 5 years down the line.
Old 28th January 2012, 12:48   #12
BHPian

Thanx Suhaas, Pramod, Prince, et al......for your opinions. Yeah, I know that breaking into the structural integrity of the vehicle will compromise its stability and performance. I also am aware of its value in the rally circuit as I am a keen follower too (and maybe if the time comes, a good driver as well). I also see the fotos in this thread on some estee-verts.
But like I said, my desire to own a convertible is a desire. Till such time that auto makers in this country decide to introduce affordable convertibles, guys like me will have to make do with whatever is possible.
So my quest continues.
Old 28th January 2012, 23:48   #13
Team-BHP Support

If you are thaaaaaat interested in buying a convertible, you must look for a used Mazda Miata/MX5. I'm sure you'll get many in the 3-5 lakh price-range. You could keep your Esteem and buy another car which is built from ground-up to be a convertible.

Whats more, the 3-5 lakh you might spend on modding your Esteem could be spent buying the MX5, which IMO, is the ideal solution to this issue. You not only get to keep your Esteem, you also have a convertible in your garage! It's a win-win!

However, be very careful while looking for these Mazdas. Some of them might not have their papers/documents in order. And spare-parts is a problem too. But since it's a Jap, it shouldn't really give you too many headaches.

If you find a clean example, by all means, GO FOR IT!
Old 29th January 2012, 00:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

There are quite a few Miatas running around in chennai and almost 90% of the ones I have seen are in garages waiting for parts or moolah ('cos everyone knows buying an exotic/classic/super car is much much easier than keeping them in ship shape(not that I am saying the Miata is any of them)). Though it is a dream and cheap, you might have to park it in your garage most of the times than take it out for a spin. I am not for aabidansari's views, but at the same time, if his dream can be made a reality, there is nothing better than that. I am sure it is possible with a great deal of effort and patience. Equally important is finding the right person to do the job.
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2012, 00:48   #15
Team-BHP Support

Excellent suggestion Esteem Lover.

Thing is, if he buys a Miata/MX5 and it goes bad and needs some work, it would end up in the workshop. AND he would still have his beloved Esteem with him. Buuuuuuut.. if he goes ahead and turns his Esteem into a convertible and if (god forbid) it goes wrong, he would be left with no car at all!

Assuming of course that his Esteem is a daily drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks