Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2010, 18:37   #1
BHPian

Corsa Engine swap. 1.4 to 1.6 . Should ECU/M be changed too ?

Hello, Tomorow I am getting a 1.6 engine for my corsa (1.4). Giving my old engine and paying a few thousand rupees more, I thought was a better idea to get the extra 4bhp (more toque too). Although, I am aware that I may not experience the change, unless I redline (which I do often) .

Now, should the ECU be changed too ? The mechanic at Electra says, not required!

I am just worried, if the max rpm/bhp etc values are in the chip, I may not reap the benefit, If I do not change the ECU.

Please advise

Thanks
Old 16th July 2010, 20:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Which 1.6 engine are you getting in exchange for which 1.4 engine? Post model/batch codes.
Old 16th July 2010, 20:58   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Which 1.6 engine are you getting in exchange for which 1.4 engine? Post model/batch codes.
Hi Pranav . I dont have the specifics yet but its a corsa 1.6 engine that i am gettting
Old 16th July 2010, 21:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Get the ECU as well.
Old 16th July 2010, 21:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

For an increase of ~200cc in total, there will be an increase of ~50cc in each cylinder. In a Naturally Aspirated engine with a volumetric efficiency between 75% to 90%, you are looking at an increase of anywhere between 2.5-3.3cc of extra fuel per cylinder. Assuming that the wiring harnesses are the same, you would not have a problem with the fuelling (fuel maps and correction tables).

What about the ignition? Do both engines use distributors?

Last edited by pranavt : 16th July 2010 at 21:16. Reason: mistake in calculation
Old 16th July 2010, 21:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a distributor less ignition BTW vidiyatec, are you picking up this engine?

Team-BHP Classifieds - Corsa 1.6L Engine for sale - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Its not a bolt on fit, and secondly you will have to get new exhaust manifold(headers), i dont think the 1.4 and 1.6 share the same exhaust designs.

Pramod
Old 17th July 2010, 07:32   #7
BHPian

hi pramod, my 1.4 corsa engine, currently has a cylinderhead block from a 1.6 corsa engine and the exhaust manifold is the same.
I am not sure of the difference in manifolds, but if need be, they are available too.

Pranav, the car is being prepped up for swap at 10am, ofcourse I will be around for entire duration.
For now, I will ask them to give me the 1.6 corsa engine ecu as well.

thanks
Old 17th July 2010, 13:14   #8
CPH
BHPian

To ask for advise on the ECU you have to tell what Corsa it is.

Changing the ECU will work with an uncoded ECU in most cases.

If you have a coded ECU, you need a bit more.

If it is a CAN integrated ECU you will have to spend some money to get it right.
Old 17th July 2010, 13:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
hi pramod, my 1.4 corsa engine, currently has a cylinderhead block from a 1.6 corsa engine and the exhaust manifold is the same.
I am not sure of the difference in manifolds, but if need be, they are available too.

thanks
Dear vdiatech, i am not sure what performace upgrade did you expct out of a 1.4 base and 1.6 head configuration unless the 1.6 head is a DOHC head and the 1.4 is a SOHC head. I would say all you should have done is get a 1.6 base if you already have a head and in this case would workout extremely cheaper than your current option.

Little OT: I remember reading your thread on you installing a FFE, was this done on the 1.6 head?

Pramod
Old 17th July 2010, 14:13   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Dear vdiatech, i am not sure what performace upgrade did you expct out of a 1.4 base and 1.6 head configuration unless the 1.6 head is a DOHC head and the 1.4 is a SOHC head. I would say all you should have done is get a 1.6 base if you already have a head and in this case would workout extremely cheaper than your current option.

Little OT: I remember reading your thread on you installing a FFE, was this done on the 1.6 head?

Pramod
hi pramod, the FFE was installed on the stock 1.4 engine only. more recently, the stock 1.4 head seemed to be leaking out coolant and oil. the meachanic advised that the head be replaced. we could not find a 1.4 head, so we went for the 1.6 head, which fitted perfectly. this was done out of necessity and not out of desire for performance enhancement. But the mechanic did not do a good job and again some issues with it.

Now i have the desire, to change the entire engine to gain a few bhp more.

Last edited by vdiatech : 17th July 2010 at 14:16.
Old 17th July 2010, 14:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
hi pramod, the FFE was installed on the stock 1.4 engine only. more recently, the stock 1.4 head seemed to be leaking out coolant and oil. the meachanic advised that the head be replaced. we could not find a 1.4 head, so we went for the 1.6 head, which fitted perfectly. this was done out of necessity and not out of desire for performance enhancement. But the mechanic did not do a good job and again some issues with it.

Now i have the desire, to change the entire engine to gain a few bhp more.
Oh, make sense now. Buy why on earth do you want the whole engine replaced, wont this cause issues with insurance? what if the new engine you getting also has issues? never trust used engines in india unless you know why it was taken off in the first place, and this is specially the case in india. I know corsa parts are next to impossible to source in india but is readily available off the shelf in UK. But any way all this is too late to be considered now.

Pramod
Old 17th July 2010, 14:46   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Oh, make sense now. Buy why on earth do you want the whole engine replaced, wont this cause issues with insurance? what if the new engine you getting also has issues? never trust used engines in india unless you know why it was taken off in the first place, and this is specially the case in india. I know corsa parts are next to impossible to source in india but is readily available off the shelf in UK. But any way all this is too late to be considered now.

Pramod
Yes, I might have issues with insurance and RTO etc. But this is not my main car. I use this for some revving to pep myself up, when I feel a bit bored or low. lol

My cousin is with the insurance industry, he deals with a lot of guys who buy damaged cars, fix it and sell it. So, the guy who is fixing the engine now, is doing my cousin a favour ( hence a very low price) and the so called 'guarantee' .

I cant sell the car ( for the price I want ), so I thought I will keep it and use it every time I come down to India. The current engine seems to be cursed. I am hoping the replacement engine will be fine. For the state, my 1.4 engine is now, the 1.6engine cant definitely be in a worse state.
Old 5th August 2010, 07:14   #13
BHPian

Hi, I suppose, there are still a few things I need to learn.
Even when a decorated car tuner says, 'saar, simple swap, max 2 days', it actually implies that it could be anything from 2 weeks to 2 months, lol ! And the best part being , I was promised the car the same day, every morning .

The work on the engine swap started on 17th and I am hoping to get delivery of it today. I did check on it y'day and all seemed well. few minor tweaks and a 'water service' . I did say a no to the 'water service' .

The ECU has not been replaced. Just the engine at a total cost of 12K . Including labour and AC gas . I traded my 1.4 engine.

I will update about the car performance later on, after an extensive test drive.
Old 14th August 2010, 10:04   #14
BHPian

I got delivery of the car about a week back.

The negatives first ( of my experience )

1. The temp gauge was not working, and the payment being made, the mechanic would not give this a priority, he simply asked me to bring it 'some other day' , i had to storm out, never again to return.

2. The stereo would not power on. I need to get it checked with an electrician

3. Oil leak from gear box, which was noticed after a day ( i was again asked to bring it after a few days ). (fixed the temp gauge and oil leak in bangalore)

4. Took a lot of time for the swap.

The positives :

1. A good job, you cant tell that engine has been replaced.

2. Noticeable increase in power. earlier my top speed with (comfortably) the 1.4 was 150kmph, now it is 170kmph and could go more !

3. 360kms non-stop drive (twice), very comfortable and no issues.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks