Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2010, 16:56   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Stay Away from Ajanta Roof Carrier

Dear Friends,

I bought a Eight Seater Scorpio with front facing third row seating a few months back. One of the biggest problems with the 8-Seater Scorpio is that if you are using the front facing third row seats, there is absolutely no place for any luggage. You can barely fit two thin briefcases/laptop bags under the third row. All other luggage has to be on peoples laps.

Hence, I decided to get a roof rack for the Scoprio. I wanted an expedition style one that comes OEM on the Ford Endeavour. See Picture below:

Anyways the closest, I could find to this was a model called Ajanta Fazer.

I looked up the Ajanta website, called the number listed their and got the name of the Chennai dealer Khushi Trade Links. Called up Khushi Trade Links and said I wanted the Fazer powder coated in black since I have a black scoprio. He said no problem and quoted 8K with 5K advance. I paid him 5K and then my night mare started. He told me it will be ready in a week, this became a month and two months. In between, I tried to get through to the chaps who own Ajanta and I was told that the carrier is ready but the dealer in chennai has not submitted payment yet. This made me furious and I called up the Chennai dealer and threatened to drag him to the station and court for cheating. He then pleaded his case and another month later calls me to tell me the carrier has arrive.

I go there and was appalled to see the finish and quality of this thing. Firstly it was not powder coated but painted. So you can imagine how long painting will last on aluminum. I am sure it will turn ugly in a few months under the elements. Secondly when painting they painted over all nuts and bolts used to fasten the carrier so after struggling for over two hours the dealer couldn't install the carrier. Thirdly there is two long rectangle pipes that attach to the scorpio side rails. The main roof rack itself is bolted on to these two rails. There was only 3 attachments on each rail for a total of six attachments.

The dealer said that he will resolve the issues. A couple of weeks later, he finally told me that it is ready. So I went over and he had just replaced the bolts that had been painted over with new bolts. He had not added any extra supports that I requested. Anyway, I was so sick and tired with this whole episode that I just decided to get it installed. While driving off, I noticed that the roof rack was rattling as the six bolts are insufficient to hold the top to the cross rails properly. Anyway, I don't want to deal with these guys anymore. It is not really the dealers fault when it comes to the lousey product design. So no point in berating the dealer about this. I have decided to dismantle the roof rack and add additional bolts at my own time and expense.

Guys, please don't buy the Ajanta Fazer model. I am not sure about the quality and fit and finish of other models from Ajanta. Anyways after Rs. 8200 + 250 for installation and many months of headache, I am stuck with a roof rack were the paint is slowly peeling off the aluminum and the whole roof rack vibrates badly.

Please stick with the Hike or some other good brand as described in this thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...r-scorpio.html

I have attached some pics of the rack.
Attached Thumbnails
Stay Away from Ajanta Roof Carrier-fazerfront.jpg  

Stay Away from Ajanta Roof Carrier-fazerback.jpg  

Stay Away from Ajanta Roof Carrier-fazerside1.jpg  

Stay Away from Ajanta Roof Carrier-fazerside2.jpg  

4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2010, 17:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Why didn't you check with a Ford Service center or something like Carnation? Even a second hand car dealer would have helped!
Old 22nd July 2010, 17:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

hiker retails at 10k or so here in Bangalore, wonder what stopped you from looking at prominent brands in the market and decide on this brand ?
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2010, 09:28   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Why didn't you check with a Ford Service center or something like Carnation? Even a second hand car dealer would have helped!
The side rails are different on the Endy and the Scorpio. The attachment for the Ford siderail won't fit a Scorpio siderail. I would have to fabricate a custom one. I don't think you can get this with second hand dealers as only a few fords endys even have this carrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
hiker retails at 10k or so here in Bangalore, wonder what stopped you from looking at prominent brands in the market and decide on this brand ?
What can I say mate. Bad judgement on my part. As I mentioned earlier, I wanted this particular design. The Hiker one has only a thin rail at the side and not a wide panel like in this one. Besides the hiker one doesn't have a custom cross rail so on the Scorpio it sticks out almost half a foot on each side which makes it look like a poor fit. The Ajanta cross rail is made to Scorpio measurement so it doesn't stick out beyond the carrier.

Either way, given the poor quality, I should have just gone for the Hiker one. My advice to any SUV owners who use their vehicles as family carriers to avoid Ajanta. It maybe fine for Taxis where fit and finish is not a huge concern.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks