Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2010, 21:02   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Review: Foot operated air pump

After the introduction of tubeless tires frequent the instances of flat tires on the roads have reduced by a considerable extent. Most smaller punctures leading to slow air loss are now detected at morning with deflated or low air pressure in tires.

Tubeless tire repair facility is still not available at all the places in our country. Most roadside puncture repair shops in smaller towns damage the tires at the time of fixing punctures. I travel frequently and at times i am at places where reliable tubeless puncture repair facility is not available, most of the punctures i encounter in my cars are slow punctures which make the tire go flat in days. Even in the city i am not the kind of person who would call a helpline for a flat, i would rather pump up some air and take my car to nearest puncture repair shop or reach home and change the tire.

My Dad bought an inexpensive foot pump for me from Dabwali. The cost was just 500 bucks. The pump has decent quality construction. It does not require as much effort as i always thought a foot pump would require. The air gauge fitted on the pump is not accurate, it shows 20psi when actual tire pressure is 30psi.

Review: Foot operated air pump-photo114.jpg

This pump surely be a boon for offroaders who reduce air pressure for off-roading applications like sand driving but they need to pump up the air again before they hit the road.

Review: Foot operated air pump-photo115.jpg

There are a lot of inexpensive Electric air pumps available at most accessory shops, but i doubt their reliability. A mechanical foot operated pump requires some effort but at least its reliable, it matters most for me.

Review: Foot operated air pump-photo116.jpg
Review: Foot operated air pump-photo117.jpg

Cost: Rs.500

Positives
  • Inexpensive.
  • Does not require much effort.
  • Reliable.
  • Can be folded to be stashed in a corner in the boot of the car.

Negatives
  • Air Gauge not accurate.
  • Still requires some effort, ladies and elderly might not find it convenient.
Old 29th July 2010, 08:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

I had tried this foot pump when one of the tyres in my Fiesta was almost flat due to a pin puncture. The attachment simply didnt fit in the valve nozzle. I found that the owner of the pump used it for Civic, maybe the pump is better off for Honda cars only.
BTW which car have you used this on.
Old 29th July 2010, 13:50   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I had tried this foot pump when one of the tyres in my Fiesta was almost flat due to a pin puncture. The attachment simply didnt fit in the valve nozzle. I found that the owner of the pump used it for Civic, maybe the pump is better off for Honda cars only.
BTW which car have you used this on.
The valve size of all cars is same irrespective of the make. Maybe you did not fit the nozzle properly.
Old 29th July 2010, 13:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The valve size of all cars is same irrespective of the make. Maybe you did not fit the nozzle properly.
Maybe, Fiat can start giving 98PCD valves
Old 29th July 2010, 14:14   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

@ghodlur: I have used the pump on Elantra and Punto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Maybe, Fiat can start giving 98PCD valves
Then we will have to depend on Tata-Fiat Service network for maintaining tire pressure.

Last edited by .anshuman : 29th July 2010 at 14:16.
Old 29th July 2010, 14:46   #6
BANNED

I used similar pumps from 1973 till 1991. Then I switched to electric pumps. Have no regrets with either. I did find the gauges go bad after some time. I miss the first pump I owned, it had a valve and you could use your own gauge. No built in dial gauge.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2010, 15:22   #7
Team-BHP Support

I bought a twin cylinder foot pump from Metro Cash and Carry for around 125 rupees.
Its always in my car. Has been used quite a few times, helping stranded bikers with flats.
Old 16th August 2010, 11:22   #8
BHPian

i have one in my car,bought for rs.250 from local cycle shop and pretty useful,enough though the gauge is not accurate atleast could travel till you find a decent shop to fix the puncture.
Have used it to pump kids cycle and my TBTS.
Old 16th August 2010, 12:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I had tried this foot pump when one of the tyres in my Fiesta was almost flat due to a pin puncture. The attachment simply didnt fit in the valve nozzle.
I have also tried using this in my dad's Maruti 800, it's very difficult to keep the attachment locked and air tight on the tire valve. Most of the time, I let out more air than I pumped in. I thought it's just me.
Old 16th August 2010, 13:00   #10
BHPian

Anshuman: Thanks for sharing the experience.

eBay India has these foot pumps on offer, both manual and electric ones (can connect to the cig lighter 12 V point in cars - they calim)

Looking at some of the pics, I was tempted to buy one but wasnt sure of the usability, quality and the possible issues etc.

Now after hearing some feedback, I am again tempted to buy - electrical one (I am so lazy :-) )
Old 16th August 2010, 13:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

I got an electric pump that draws power from the cigarette lighter 12 V socket. Decent quality and the guage reading is pretty accurate. It got an inbuilt torch, 4 m of host length, costed me 1100 bucks. works for me
Old 16th August 2010, 14:15   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Anshuman: Thanks for sharing the experience.

eBay India has these foot pumps on offer, both manual and electric ones (can connect to the cig lighter 12 V point in cars - they calim)

Looking at some of the pics, I was tempted to buy one but wasnt sure of the usability, quality and the possible issues etc.

Now after hearing some feedback, I am again tempted to buy - electrical one (I am so lazy :-) )
I was also looking for the same from ebay but only concern about which brand should i go. Did any one took from ebay please share the brand
Old 30th August 2010, 21:40   #13
BHPian

Have been using one of these since 1988. Am now on my second one, as the spring gave way sometime last year( after 21 years!)
When I go on a long trip, this is always in the trunk. It's saved my tyres a couple of times, being able to keep the pressure until a puncture is repaired.

I usually use it once a week, making sure my cars have perfect pressure before they are taken out, i.e, when the tyres are cold. But never rely on the built-in gauge. Use a good electronic pressure gauge.
Old 31st August 2010, 10:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Use a good electronic pressure gauge.
Hey can you post a pic of this electronic gauge? and Cost?
Old 31st August 2010, 14:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

I have been using below pump since last 10 months and it is very useful.
its meter reading is almost accurate, however I have another air pressure guage for checking correct tyre pressure.

Review: Foot operated air pump-fiesta-028.jpg

Review: Foot operated air pump-fiesta-027.jpg

Review: Foot operated air pump-fiesta-029.jpg

The pump can be connected to cigerette lighter sockets.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks