Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2010, 15:48   #1
NFS
BHPian

ZEN - Car Horn Sounded when Parked - continuously

Hi Experts,

Recently I added a second horn to my 2001 Zen. The wiring kit provided a change over switch (helps me switch between the New BOSCH horn or the stock) and relay required for the horn. Some days after the fitment, I parked my car in front of a Bank and entered inside. 10mins later the car's stock horn started to blow loud, as if someone his honking hard.

At first I did not realize it was my car , and was blaming some bad driver in my mind. Suddenly the valet drivers came to me asking for the car keys and I too accompanied them to check the problem. They immediately opened the engine bay and disconnected the New Horn, as it was easily accessible. The sound did not stop. I removed the change over switch and still the horn was blowing loud. Valet drivers and others who offered to help me then were trying to remove the Car Battery +ve terminal, and all of a sudden, even before they removed it, the car stopped the honking. No clue of how it stopped.

Everyone relieved after a long disturbing honking. Closed the engine bay, I checked the indicators & headlight and found they were working. I decided to take the car directly to the accessory shop from where I got the horns installed. Another 10mins gone, the honking started again. This time the valet drivers were too quick to remove the connections to the stock horn. The sound stopped.

My visit to the bank was due to the poor service and I joked to the Customer Service Executive, "Even my car is not happy with your Service, see she is also yelling at you".

Finished the work from the Bank, Service Executive assured me of better service from then on, I decided to drive the car without horns to the Car accessory shop. Upon reaching the shop, the little mechanic tried to connect the horn and it was still supplying power to the stock horn. They blamed the wiring of the car and started convincing me that I should take it to Maruti Authorised Service Station (MASS). I was sure they will return me saying why have the second horn etc, and asked the Accessory mech to look further. A senior mech tried something and he cannot fix, started telling me I should forgo my stock horn. "Now that the new horn is good, why do you need the stock", asks the senior mech. I complained to the shop owner, who then asked the senior mech to look into it once again.

Senior mech at first checked the cables to the stock horn (removed the outer sleeve to look for tampered insulation, NOTHING Found) disconnected the cable from the change over switch and changed it with a new one. Told me he fixed the issue, connected the stock horn, everything is good now. It has been nearly a month, I was waiting to see what happens all this long. Till NOW no issues. I did good amount of driving through some rough roads and through rains, nothing went wrong (touch wood) till now.

What was wrong? I still DO NOT believe it was just the 1ft cable that he changed cause of the problem. I checked the faulty cable (it had two individually insulated wires) removed the outer sleeve to see if there is some cut in the insulation, but NOTHING found.

What is really the culprit here? Valet drivers (who helped me at the scene) explained to me that, "This is the problem when you put a second horn". Is that so? I have seen many cars with dual horns, with a switch to change over.

Is my Car wiring having short circuit? How then the issue was sorted out by changing the cables to the change over switch? Why this short circuit did not happen till now? Are there any pointers here? Any expert opinions?

Thanks in advance,

NFS
Old 17th August 2010, 18:53   #2
BHPian

This normally happens when the mechanics attach the new horn without removing the battery terminals. When your mechanics have installed the switch for your new horn, where you can choose the stock or the new horn, during this if the wires touch each other by mistake, there is something called as a point in all horns, specially stock ones, they go weak due to the wrong wiring and start blowing continuously, this can be rectified by adjusting the point in the stock horns.
Old 18th August 2010, 15:44   #3
NFS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by need_for_speed View Post
This normally happens when the mechanics attach the new horn without removing the battery terminals. When your mechanics have installed the switch for your new horn, where you can choose the stock or the new horn, during this if the wires touch each other by mistake, there is something called as a point in all horns, specially stock ones, they go weak due to the wrong wiring and start blowing continuously, this can be rectified by adjusting the point in the stock horns.
Thanks for the reply. Here the blowing started after a week of operation without any problem! From your explanation, I think you are pointing to an event which will happen during the installation, correct me if I am wrong

NFS
Old 19th August 2010, 04:05   #4
BHPian

Did the senior mech adjusted the RELAY in question too ?

I doubt it poor quality/uninsulated wire was triggering the relay, and not releasing it fully when OFF.
Old 19th August 2010, 20:49   #5
NFS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Did the senior mech adjusted the RELAY in question too ?

I doubt it poor quality/uninsulated wire was triggering the relay, and not releasing it fully when OFF.
Nothing they did to the relay on my visit with the problem. They are not in agreement with me that the problem caused due to the second horn fitment. They were at all times preaching that the original wiring for the stock horn had the problem. Now the problem is fixed, (or at least had not happend again, touchwood), but to fix the problem he changed the wires from the steering horn point to the switch. surprising to me
Old 20th August 2010, 12:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

I guess now you are using both the horns.

Not sure what was the problem. Thanks for the thread though.

Was it that the new horn was blowing even after switching to default one ?
Old 25th August 2010, 01:23   #7
NFS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
I guess now you are using both the horns.

Not sure what was the problem. Thanks for the thread though.

Was it that the new horn was blowing even after switching to default one ?
Yes, I am using both horns and I have no problems as of now.
Other day (few days after installing the 2nd horn) all of a sudden the stock horn started blowing on its own (I was away from the car with no one near the vehicle)
Took to the Car Accessory shop (where I got the horn fitted) he said nothing wrong and changed just one cable (a good one, when I did an examination).

I am confused how the issue got solved, without identifying the problem. Kind of too much confused (touch wood) luckily the horns are good now. May be "I am Stupid".

I am scared at a given point of time the new horn starts blowing (they are too loud even when slightly tapped).

Thanks for your time reading this post.

NFS

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks