Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2010, 06:21   #1
BHPian

Retrofitting an AC and PS in Bolero camper

Hello all,

Our office as 4WD Mahindra Bolero Camper 2008 as a crew cab. It has turbocharged engine, 4 speed tranny.

It is very competent pickup for mountainous road, goes anywhere with 4WD. However, having no PS is very tiresome for driver. Other thing our crew complained during hot summer is the cabin temperature. It has pretty compact double cabin when the windows are rolled up, it is very suffocating and hot.

So I am thinking of adding PS and HVAC to the camper. I went to Mahindra dealer here in my local town, but he says it is not possible. He says I have to sell my current camper and buy the one with AC and PS .

Can anyone tell me what parts do I need to add for Power steering and AC. How much do they cost in India. Since I leave near to Indian border, going to India (Gorakhpur in Uttarpradesh) should not be problem.

My vehicle has already crossed the warranty period. So warranty VOID should not be a problem.

I am looking forward to making it as neat as possible just like factory fitted.

I would be very grateful for suggestion from other Bolero/Camper owners who have taken the retrofiting route, which I plan to take.
Old 30th August 2010, 09:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi Nepalken,

I presume you are running a MDI engine in your Camper. The above mods can be easily executed as boleros with similar front suspension setup and Instrument panel are under production. You can use the HVAC unit, Compressor, PS pump from regular bolero, route the AC pipes accordingly. Get this done from a competent mechanic.

Spike
Old 30th August 2010, 11:22   #3
BHPian

@ Nepalken: best get in touch with a fellow member with username 'desigNation'.

He's got a nice and subtle Bolero Camper with retrofitted aircon and PS.
Old 30th August 2010, 20:07   #4
BHPian

Thanks @spike

Thanks@coloneljasi, I have PMed designNation, I hope he responds
Old 31st August 2010, 17:23   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

@ Nepalken and DesignNation : A request. Whatever information is shared, please do so on the public forum itself. That way, it stays archived for life and will be of help to innumerable other members & guests. Exchanging useful information via PM kills the purpose of this community.

Thanks. Also, here's a thread that touches upon retrofitting air-conditioners in Jeeps & Gypsies Link to thread

Last edited by GTO : 21st September 2010 at 19:20.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2010, 12:14   #6
BHPian

Hi GTO,

We will keep that in mind. As per Designation, he performed the upgrade to PS and HVAC at Mahindra A.S.S.
Old 20th September 2010, 19:17   #7
BHPian

I went to the Mahindra showroom today to take a look at the Camper for my cousin. But we were disheartened to find out that even the Gold version with AC and PS cannot be registered as a private vehicle, but only as a goods carrier. Stupid archaic RTO rules. The driver has to wear khakhi shirt and the front and rear have to be painted yellow. There goes my dream of pimping up a 207 or Camper. Does anyone know any workaraounds for this?
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:43   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I went to the Mahindra showroom today to take a look at the Camper for my cousin. But we were disheartened to find out that even the Gold version with AC and PS cannot be registered as a private vehicle, but only as a goods carrier. Stupid archaic RTO rules. The driver has to wear khakhi shirt and the front and rear have to be painted yellow. There goes my dream of pimping up a 207 or Camper. Does anyone know any workaraounds for this?
@ vivekgk: Get in touch with DesigNation for this as well. He told me that he had taken it up legally and go his Camper registered privately. I have seen another KL11 reg Camper and a few out of state ones on white boards.
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:59   #9
BHPian

I wonder why on earth cannot one register and use a pick up as a private vehicle. Atleast here in Bangalore/Mysore and coorg, there are lots of them registered as private vehicles. Most of the construction group's mahindra pick-ups are white board. When they can let white boards on auto-rickshaws in Kerala, what kind of lunatic rule is this!
I guess, with a good lawyer, you can make use of that court case won by Designation for good.

@vivekgk: Why don't you get one from the neighboring TN. As far as I know, using out of state vehicles in KL isnt much a deal as here in KA.

Last edited by jeeva : 22nd September 2010 at 13:05.
Old 22nd September 2010, 17:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

It is not the RTO that is stupid...

Quote:
... Stupid archaic RTO rules....
I don't think the RTO rules are to blame, in this particular scenario. Probably, the manufacturer has also a role to play.
Old 22nd September 2010, 17:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

Even in delhi/gurgaon - you can't register either a bolero camper or a Tata 207 as private. Bah
Old 22nd September 2010, 18:26   #12
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepalken View Post
Hello all,

So I am thinking of adding PS and HVAC to the camper. I went to Mahindra dealer here in my local town, but he says it is not possible. He says I have to sell my current camper and buy the one with AC and PS .
Hi nepalken, this sort of modification is pretty straight forward. We do have a camper and have done these mods. Got them done in the local garage, but its not the HVAC.

The powersteering unit was a used one borrowed from a Mercedes Benz and the AC unit too was a used Super-King II. The AC ducts were borrowed from the regular Bolero and hence the fit was perfect. Hence you can very well go ahead with the modifications

Quote:
But we were disheartened to find out that even the Gold version with AC and PS cannot be registered as a private vehicle, but only as a goods carrier. Stupid archaic RTO rules. The driver has to wear khakhi shirt and the front and rear have to be painted yellow. There goes my dream of pimping up a 207 or Camper. Does anyone know any workarounds for this?
Hi vivekgk, this rule is specific to the respective states. Even we came to know about it while buying in Coimbatore and decieded against it and in turn got the vehicle from Bangalore and registered in Bangalore as private. I guess registering in Bangalore is one workaround for this.

Have only this picture for now, will get some pictures of the works when I get down to Coimbatore but that will take quite a while.

Retrofitting an AC and PS in Bolero camper-ka05-mc-2518.jpg
Old 22nd September 2010, 20:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I don't think the RTO rules are to blame, in this particular scenario. Probably, the manufacturer has also a role to play.
A manufacturer does not frame any rules, he has to just abide by them. The governing body which frames these rules is to be blamed, RTO is only a custodian of these rules.

Spike
Old 20th February 2016, 09:23   #14
BHPian

Re: Retrofitting an AC and PS in Bolero camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
Hellos. How's this vehicle doing?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks