Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2010, 12:49   #1

upgrading Punto Petrol to T-jet 1.4

Hi Experts,

Fiat has launched the T-jet and I've heard it is the best petrol available in it's segment. I will go in for a test drive this weekend and see for myself how much fun it is.

I've heard the only important change is addition of a turbocharger. I want to know if I can upgrade my 1.4 petrol Punto emotion pk to the T-jet by getting the turbocharger installed to my engine.

Please help.

Thanks,
Kshitij
Old 2nd November 2010, 13:02   #2
BHPian

The T-Jet is not a FIRE engine with a Turbo! Its a all new engine, which is imported for use in Linea in India.

Instead you can think of buying a T-Jet itself!
Old 2nd November 2010, 14:41   #3

Really? The displacement is exactly same so i thought that Fiat has just added the turbocharger. I still think it is not a completely new engine...a turbocharger and new modifications thats it.
Old 2nd November 2010, 16:45   #4
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDay View Post
The T-Jet is not a FIRE engine with a Turbo! Its a all new engine, which is imported for use in Linea in India.

Instead you can think of buying a T-Jet itself!
The T-Jet is a FIRE engine. The block is identical with the 1.4 normally aspirated engine, which is a bored out 1.2 block.

@ k.chandiok - nfortunately it is not as easy as just bolting on a turbo. You nee to sort out the oild and water feed for the turbo. The inlet manifold needs changing. Additional sensors need wiring in. you have to clone the ECU or go stand alone. The exhaust manifold needs changing as well as the down pipe to make it work.

The lobe separation angles on the cam have to be changed and the pistons, conrods and crank has to be chanegd to the turbo ones. The normally aspirated moving parts aren,t strong enough for the torque.

To sum it up it is doable, but by the time you have done it you will have spent more money than selling your car, paying the difference for getting a new T-Jet and do some performance tuning.

also you will have no warranty

Last edited by GTO : 4th November 2010 at 10:57. Reason: CPH, please avoid mentioning that you're a professional tuner in every thread!!
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:55   #5

ok so net net I cannot upgrade my punto to T-Jet.

What other options do I have to make my engine more fun while not compromising on the fuel economy?
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:43   #6
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.chandiok View Post
ok so net net I cannot upgrade my punto to T-Jet.

What other options do I have to make my engine more fun while not compromising on the fuel economy?
A proper AIR is a good start. Stay clear of K&N. Add a re-map specifically for the AIR.

The re-map with the right AIR will give you about 15% more peak power and oodles more bottom end torque and it will set you nback about 27k for both together.

Back box will give you around another 3bhp when done correctly.

Further modifications are possible but it will get expensive.
Old 3rd November 2010, 14:30   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.chandiok View Post

Very few. A remap at the most (as CPH has already suggested). But then that is going to set you back by a few thousands. You could as well save that money for fuel and change the way you drive (ignoring the fuel economy) to derive more fun from the engine !!

Have you tried revving / redlining the 1.4 ? It is immense fun !!
Old 4th November 2010, 10:58   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDay View Post
Yes & No. Same block, but new head + internals (as told by Fiat India at the launch).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks