Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2011, 14:27   #16
BANNED

Re: BMC Carbon Dynamic Airbox install in Maruti AStar!

After a back to back comparison with a modified stock airbox and the BMC CDA. I'm back on CDA now.
BMC Carbon Dynamic Airbox install in Maruti AStar!-24032011386.jpg

Modified stock and CDA:
BMC Carbon Dynamic Airbox install in Maruti AStar!-25032011396.jpg

A simple human-tech flow test:
In order to test the basic flow efficiency i blowed into the air intake mouth of these two setups to see how much air is falling on to my hand placed at the airbox exit on the engine side. With the CDA airbox the air falling onto my hand was more or less at the same speed as i was blowing into the CDA and the draft was healthy. With the modified stock airbox, the air falling onto my hand was very feeble in its velocity and i couldn't feel much of any draft. With the stock box i repeated this experiment with the air filter panel removed to see how much of a difference it would make, but unfortunately the effect was more or less the same so i doubt if a freer flowing panel filter would make much of a difference.

Back to back testing (two weeks total, one week with each setup) impressions:
For an onroad experience i removed the CDA and installed the above mentioned stock box (with the filter of course) and went for a drive. Most noticeable was the increase in low rpm throttle response and better low rpm pulling power. But quick revs to high rpm suffered, and the engine doesn't pick speed as well as with CDA. But the car felt lot more smoother. This was better than a bone stock airbox. Engine braking while letting off the throttle was more pronounced, car lost speed quickly than with CDA. This is due to a restricitve intake.

With the CDA, the low rpm response was slightly hampered, and the low rpm lugging power was not as good as with stock box. But car gained higher revs quickly and it felt a lot faster. Engine braking was milder and car can coast effortlessly for a while before slowing down.

BMC Carbon Dynamic Airbox install in Maruti AStar!-25032011398.jpg

PS: The filtration of the CDA is decent, on the air intake side it was dusty but on the engine side it was clean.
Old 31st March 2011, 18:04   #17
BANNED

Sorry to bore you all with my lil updates here... but its time for another update

This is the latest one a 45degree silicone reducer hose of dimensions 76mm to 63mm. I opted for this large 76mm reducer because i wanted to create a funnel effect, got this from UK and fixed it this morning. I never thought a pipe would create a lot of difference but it did compared to my previous setup mentioned in my previous post.
BMC Carbon Dynamic Airbox install in Maruti AStar!-31032011417.jpg
BMC Carbon Dynamic Airbox install in Maruti AStar!-31032011418.jpg
This was available in Red and Blue too.

Somewhere in between did this too:
BMC Carbon Dynamic Airbox install in Maruti AStar!-24022011286.jpg

Got the 3rd service of the car done two days ago, mostly incident free apart from a small dent on the roof, which the SA promised to mend.

Last edited by Sankar : 31st March 2011 at 18:06.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2011, 10:26   #18
BANNED

Did a small experiment. I turned the silicone air intake pipe to position its opening to a calmer area (hope so) from where it can suck air and this has produced a very noticeable difference in power delivery. The mid range power delivery has improved and the engine pulls better.
Old 3rd March 2015, 14:41   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Got the 3rd service of the car done two days ago, mostly incident free apart from a small dent on the roof, which the SA promised to mend.
Hi Sankar,

I just wanted to know if these mods pose warranty voids during servicing. In another words, do you inform the SA about your mods before giving it for servicing?
Also, I read somewhere that just changing the air filter is only half job done; upjetting and exhaust mods should follow and then only we will be able to get the best power upgradation?
I have a 2010 A-star and was thinking of adding a k&n filter. Can you pen your ideas on that as well

Thanks.

Most Viewed