Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2011, 13:00   #1
BHPian

Project Sierra Renovation

Hi guys,

I had the time of my life restoring a 1996 Tata Sierra which I bought in a scrapyard for 30,000 bucks. It took me a little over a year and about 2 lakhs to get the vehicle to pristine condition. This happened in the year 2006.

It was hard work as finding some parts wasn't easy and not everyone is willing to work on such projects. But,I loved every moment of it and the effort was worth it in the end

I am posting some of the pics that I could find from that time. Searching for more of them in my old hard drives and I will post them as soon as I can find them
Attached Thumbnails
Project Sierra Renovation-sierra1.jpg  

Project Sierra Renovation-sierra2.jpg  

Project Sierra Renovation-sierra-3.jpg  

Project Sierra Renovation-sierra-4.jpg  

Project Sierra Renovation-sierra-5.jpg  

Diesel9999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2011, 14:05   #2
BANNED

Re: Project Sierra Renovation

Congratulations on a successful car restoration process! The sierra is the true Indian SUV and yours looks absolutely breathtaking.
Can you please post the cost break up if possible? And do post some interior pictures too.
Old 11th March 2011, 14:14   #3
BHPian

Hi Diesel9999!

Nice work done on that Sierra!

Even my brothers '96 NA sierra is being worked upon. Current the header is being worked upon as water had enetered the block. :(

Expecting to get that giant up and running in coming few weeks completing other minor works.

Cheers!
Old 11th March 2011, 15:15   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

That's one hell of a restoration and dedication shown to the machine.
Nice to see the Beast up and running.
What about the interior pics?
Old 11th March 2011, 15:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Awesome Resto Diesel.
I had a 1997 Tata Sierra Turbo (TST) for good five years. A maroon colored one. Sold her out in 2001 as she unexpectantly started meeting accidents for no good reasons at all. Have TONS of fond memories of her.
IMO the TATA SIERRA sticker on the door sill looks a little over the top. TST looks best when left STOCK.
Would love some interior pics & more info on engine mods, if any, done.

Raab Rakha,
Sonu
Old 11th March 2011, 15:50   #6
BHPian

The car has come up really well. Do post some interior pics as well. Were you able to source all required parts from Hyderabad itself?
Old 11th March 2011, 15:54   #7
BHPian

Thats a wonderful restoration project.
Did you rebuild the engine or its different engine?
Old 11th March 2011, 16:59   #8
BHPian

Hi Diesel9999,
Firstly, I just love the looks of the beast. Simply amazing. Is it still with you?

I'm a die-hard Tata Sierra fan, and I have recently bought a '99 Tata Sierra Turbo. Here's a picture (post-renovation):

Project Sierra Renovation-my_sierra_1.jpg

You can view details about it in this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...o-queries.html

Me and Team-BHPian sierrakamat recently did some renovation work on the beast, which included painting, interior work, seat refurbishment etc.

I would love to read all the details about your vehicle's restoration process, as currently, I am in a learning phase as far as the Sierra is concerned, and your experience will serve as good learning material for me and other Sierra owners like me.

Feel free to put forward any tips and tricks you might have learned during your restoration and ownership experience.

Thanks a ton. Once again, appreciate the pictures.

- Bullitt.
Old 11th March 2011, 17:01   #9
BHPian

Nice restoration and car looks stunning, Sierra is wonderful car and due to its niggles it went in to history

Was there any mods done on Sierra or it is completely stock?? Please post some pictures of interior and those fogs are nicely placed in bumper
Old 11th March 2011, 18:37   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMehta View Post
Congratulations on a successful car restoration process! The sierra is the true Indian SUV and yours looks absolutely breathtaking.
Can you please post the cost break up if possible? And do post some interior pictures too.
I have to dig up the bills from my archives but the major share of the money went towards body work, AC, Engine rebuild and suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Hi Diesel9999!

Nice work done on that Sierra!

Even my brothers '96 NA sierra is being worked upon. Current the header is being worked upon as water had enetered the block. :(

Expecting to get that giant up and running in coming few weeks completing other minor works.

Cheers!
Thanks for the compliments. Dude that block is one big pain, trust me. I tried and tried to get it right but it just wouldn't hold on no matter what. In the end,i purchased a Sumo's block from an accident vehicle and used it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
That's one hell of a restoration and dedication shown to the machine.
Nice to see the Beast up and running.
What about the interior pics?
Thanks mate. It really is one hell of a beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Awesome Resto Diesel.
I had a 1997 Tata Sierra Turbo (TST) for good five years. A maroon colored one. Sold her out in 2001 as she unexpectantly started meeting accidents for no good reasons at all. Have TONS of fond memories of her.
IMO the TATA SIERRA sticker on the door sill looks a little over the top. TST looks best when left STOCK.
Would love some interior pics & more info on engine mods, if any, done.

Raab Rakha,
Sonu
I am searching for more pics including the interior pics as that project is more than 5 years old. Those pics were in an old hard drive and I am desperately searching for that. Will post as soon as I can find them. There are no engine mods for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post
The car has come up really well. Do post some interior pics as well. Were you able to source all required parts from Hyderabad itself?
Body parts were a problem.Engine parts were easy to come by as the old Sumo shares a lot of parts with the sierra. Spent a lot of time searching amongst scrapyards and old garages for the body parts though. It is amazing how many condemned Sierras you can find if you look hard enough. Makes me real sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Thats a wonderful restoration project.
Did you rebuild the engine or its different engine?
I rebuilt the engine mate. Cost me around 23 grand i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Hi Diesel9999,
Firstly, I just love the looks of the beast. Simply amazing. Is it still with you?

I'm a die-hard Tata Sierra fan, and I have recently bought a '99 Tata Sierra Turbo. Here's a picture (post-renovation):

Attachment 515391

You can view details about it in this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...o-queries.html

Me and Team-BHPian sierrakamat recently did some renovation work on the beast, which included painting, interior work, seat refurbishment etc.

I would love to read all the details about your vehicle's restoration process, as currently, I am in a learning phase as far as the Sierra is concerned, and your experience will serve as good learning material for me and other Sierra owners like me.

Feel free to put forward any tips and tricks you might have learned during your restoration and ownership experience.

Thanks a ton. Once again, appreciate the pictures.

- Bullitt.
Thanks dude. Nice to meet a like minded Sierra fan here. The car is currently being used by my cousin who uses it to show off in front of his college mates . Sierra is fragile dude. Handle with care and she will reward you. Keep a big time lookout on the engine head for signs of overheating and also on the brake booster. These two have given me some 'memorable times'

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
Nice restoration and car looks stunning, Sierra is wonderful car and due to its niggles it went in to history

Was there any mods done on Sierra or it is completely stock?? Please post some pictures of interior and those fogs are nicely placed in bumper
Engine wise, its completely stock. Did some minor body modifications. The headlights are from a Tata Estate and the front grille is from a new 207 pickup. The roof rails and the front bull bar are from the first gen Scorpio
Old 11th March 2011, 19:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

good work.

the sierra looks really good and can appreciate the effort and love gone into this
Old 11th March 2011, 19:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hey, The Sierra is Fabulous. Please post some Interior Pictures Also. Waiting for those pics. Have you restored to Stock condition or gone in for upgrades / Mix and Match? I mean, is it the orignal TATA engine or is it a common Toyota Diesel Engine
Old 11th March 2011, 20:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Nice restoration! looks like you have installed Fiat Uno seats? or are they only the headrests?
Old 11th March 2011, 21:08   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Hey, The Sierra is Fabulous. Please post some Interior Pictures Also. Waiting for those pics. Have you restored to Stock condition or gone in for upgrades / Mix and Match? I mean, is it the orignal TATA engine or is it a common Toyota Diesel Engine
Its a stock Sierra engine bharath. Its completely rebuilt though

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Nice restoration! looks like you have installed Fiat Uno seats? or are they only the headrests?
Just the headrests. Seats are original Sierra seats. Just had them reconditioned with padding and new seat covers.
Old 11th March 2011, 23:32   #15
BHPian

@diesel9999 : Nice work done on your Sierra.

My project Sierra has started a 3 days ago. This is what it looks like currently with the new tyres.

The body work should be done by this weekend and the paintjob starts soon. Will post the wip photos soon
Attached Thumbnails
Project Sierra Renovation-sierra2.jpg  

Project Sierra Renovation-tyres.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks