Team-BHP > Motor-Sports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2019, 11:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Drive to survive: Netflix's new F1 documentary series

Netflix has released a new documentary series called the Formula 1: Drive To Survive. The new series gives an insight into the 2018 F1 season. According to a media report, the series is aimed at capturing the interest of the casual viewer and converting them to F1 fans. Regular followers of the sport are believed to find the documentary series a recount of the 2018 season.

The documentary is one of the many steps taken by F1's owners, Liberty Media in order to increase F1's fan base. It is also believed that such a series would not have been given the green light if the sport was still under Bernie Ecclestone. The report claims that Liberty Media is looking to sell the drama, spectacle and the entertainment to the outside world. The series aims at capturing the human side of the sport. The executive producer, James Gay-Rees, is also reported to have produced other documentaries like Senna, which is based on F1 driver Ayrton Senna.

Drive to survive: Netflix's new F1 documentary series-netflix-f1.jpg

The series covers teams like Haas, McLaren, Red Bull and Williams. Unfortunately, the top two title contenders, Ferrari and Mercedes did not take part in the series and only limited footage is available. Ferrari's former team principal Maurizio Arrivabene gave the team a bunker mentality, while Mercedes did not want to be distracted from competing for the world championship. However, the absence of the top 2 teams has allowed the series to concentrate on the other teams.

Source: The Guardian

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 11th March 2019 at 19:45.
ChiragM is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 12:45   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Drive to survive: Netflix's new F1 documentary series

Looks good; added to my list.

Hope this has more of behind-the-scenes content, interviews, a sneak peak into development/testing and stuff apart from what you see on Race Day. That makes documentaries more fun.

With F1 having American owners, them being masters of marketing, we might see interesting changes.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 15:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
With F1 having American owners, them being masters of marketing, we might see interesting changes.
And perfect timing for launching this series. 2019 F1 Season is about to start from March 15 with Australian Grand Prix. Marketing Campaign for this Docuseries is already started at different media and with Netflix's aggressive marketing strategy for new launched stuff, this docuseries will get enough viewers. And of course some new fans for F1.

Added to my list.
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 15:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

I watched the whole series during the weekend. It's interesting, but as someone who has followed the 2018 season, it doesn't really add too much information. It's clear to see which teams/drivers have given better access to the makers of the series. As expected, RB/Ricciardo seem to have given most access, followed by Haas. The other teams also feature, but in smaller parts. Mercedes and Ferrari have given no access to the makers, other than footage already aired on TV during the season. The series follows Ricciardo/RB situation quite well. The series also follows Ocon's story of losing his seat.
StarrySky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 12:59   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Drive to survive: Netflix's new F1 documentary series

I watched the opening episode and even as a diehard F1 fan, I was BORED! Firstly, not having Mercedes & Ferrari in a documentary on the 2018 season is like watching Godfather without Al Pacino & Marlon Brando . Second, I feel it is targeting newbies more than us enthusiasts. I didn't even like the Williams F1 documentary on Netflix.

On the other hand, the McLaren-Honda documentary on Amazon Prime (called Grand Prix Driver) is simply top class .
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 01:57   #6

Review - Netflix's 'Formula 1 - Drive to Survive'

Me paying a monthly subscription for Ultra HD content on Netflix, especially without the use of any typical Indian "jugaads" (new email ids and payment card resets – anyone?), still gets people that I know to roll their eyes in disbelief. I don't care too much about what they think, especially the one friend who installed the "Sab TV" app to see all seventeen thousand one hundred fifty nine seasons of "Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah.

Every once in a while when I grow tired of being unsure on what to watch, which uncannily is on the opposite spectrum of not having anything to watch, I do find myself pondering fleetingly if any of this is worth it. Last weekend I was in one of those frames when I caught this new docuseries in Netflix titled "Formula 1 - Drive to Survive". There it is, one more dangling carrot from Netflix, just a wannabe "Senna" - which is arguably the gold standard in motor racing documentaries, or so I thought. Sometimes I like to be wrong, it's a nice feeling and sometimes I love to be wrong, even better. Because the only thing that I remember just before I started to watch it was, well, that I just started to watch it. After that, everything else was a blur. It was like being in the famous tunnel of Monte Carlo of Circuit de Monaco at full speed, albeit for close to six hours straight. Being used to reviewing works and writing columns in news dailies, my obvious itch was to pen my thoughts about this in one of them. But realised that it would then be an ideal example for the idiom "Barking up the wrong tree". I mean how many would care to read about an epic series (well, almost) on the world's best known motorsport in a newspaper? Exactly, hence Team-BHP.

This being the holiest of holy shrines for people like us who count cars to get to sleep, I'm sure some of you have already watched this series and would love to hear your take on it. I thought it was brilliantly made. It encapsulated the whole of F1's 2018 season. The only downer if at all was that the ubiquitous names of Formula 1 - Ferrari and Mercedes, aren't really part of this. Which is a shame, yet a massive boon overall to be true. The whole series highlights to us that it need not always be about the guys on top. The mid-field, no matter how unfancied, is where the real fierce competition is. There's this scene in one of the early episodes where the team principal of Haas Formula One Team is asked by a reporter how many employees they have. "200", he says, drawing a genuinely surprised look on the reporter's face. The reporter goes on to mention that Mercedes have more people on leave compared to that. That one line proves why this is such an unfair sport, as there are no battle of equals really. Ferrari and Mercedes are way too much of a Goliaths for any of the others to start worrying about. So they do the next best thing, worry about each other. Rivalries, egos, pride are in dollops across the grid. It was also particularly interesting to see Mr. Vijay Mallya himself (yes, Netflix found him in his usual "spirit" passionate about his team that was Force India. All of 10 episodes and varyingly inconsistent with the lengths of each one, it could've been well over a 100 and I wouldn't mind. It was an ideal warm up for season 2019 which starts this weekend. 2019 should spring a lot of surprises and excitement. All eyes will be on the prodigious Charles Leclerc, Ferrari's youngest ever driver. It looks like the main fight will yet again be between the big boys - Hamilton and Vettel. Mercedes still are ahead in terms of pace or pedigree and will remain the team to beat. Hamilton looks all set to win his 6th*world championship, which is simply crazy by any yardstick. It's a long way to go. Until then, this series is highly recommended to everyone. Enjoy.

Last edited by aah78 : 17th March 2019 at 07:57. Reason: HTML tags fixed.
BecoMagicSenna is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 09:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Drive To Survive to return to Netflix next year.

Quote:
Following the global success of Series 1, Formula 1 and Netflix have confirmed that the next run of episodes, that will follow teams and drivers at every stage of the 2019 FIA Formula One World Championship, will be out in 2020.

And what’s more this year, for the first time, all ten teams will join the line-up as they battle it out for victory in the greatest racing series in the world.
News Source.
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 10:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Season II of Formula 1: Drive to Survive - coming globally to Netflix on 28 February.

Old 19th February 2020, 11:33   #9
BHPian

Can't wait. Loved Season 1. I hope the top teams are part of the series this time around, unlike last time.
Newpunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 11:39   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Can't wait. Loved Season 1. I hope the top teams are part of the series this time around, unlike last time.
Yes, all the teams are part of Season 2
Old 19th February 2020, 12:02   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
They are. Can't wait for a lot of controversial stuff
1. Seb and Lewis
2. Seb and Charles
3. Gasly's podium
4. Sainz's exceptional performance throughout
5. The three young drivers - Norris, Russel and Albon
6. Vestrappen and Leclerc
7. Hulkenburg's lost podium

Please add any further if possible.
Old 29th March 2020, 17:56   #12
BHPian

Loved both the seasons. More importantly, it helped the noobs like me to understand the nitty gritty of the sport.
Silver Knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 11:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

Netflix is developing 'Senna' Biopic Series on Ayrton Senna. The biopic is set to debut on the streaming service in 2022.

Drive to survive: Netflix's new F1 documentary series-smartselect_20200905112712_chrome.jpg

Netflix has announced an 8-part biopic series on Ayrton Senna, the legendary three-time Formula 1 world champion who is considered to be the greatest F1 racer of all time, by many fans and experts. The series which is being developed by Netflix with permission from the Senna family will chronicle the legendary driver's journey from his arrival in England for the first season of Formula Ford 1600 all the way to his demise at Imola in the San Marino GP of 1994 when he was leading the race.

Drive to survive: Netflix's new F1 documentary series-smartselect_20200905112356_chrome.jpg

The show is being developed by Gullane and will release in 2022. Netflix is known for the documentary series called "Drive to Survive" which has chronicled the 2018 and 2019 Formula 1 season. The Senna family is committed to making this project something totally unique and unprecedented, Senna's sister Viviane.

Drive to survive: Netflix's new F1 documentary series-smartselect_20200905112406_chrome.jpg

https://www.carandbike.com/news/netf...n-2022-2290546

Last edited by Venkatesh : 5th September 2020 at 11:29.
Venkatesh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 09:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Season III of Formula 1: Drive to Survive - coming to Netflix on 19.3.2021

RM Motorsports is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 18:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Netflix has released Drive To Survive's S3 trailer today.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks