Team-BHP > Motor-Sports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2020, 06:41   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Sebastian Vettel signs up with Aston Martin for 2021 & beyond

The team has been in the points this year, but I don't agree with this career move. IMHO, A+ drivers who have driven for A+ teams never do much when they move down the ranks. Vettel already has a ton of money & so many championships, so he doesn't have anything left to prove. When you see drivers like him struggle in the mid-field, it takes a bit of shine away from their glorious years.

Considering Ferrari's pace though, maybe Vettel just wants the satisfaction of overtaking the red car on track .
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 07:06   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The team has been in the points this year, but I don't agree with this career move. IMHO, A+ drivers who have driven for A+ teams never do much when they move down the ranks. Vettel already has a ton of money & so many championships, so he doesn't have anything left to prove. When you see drivers like him struggle in the mid-field, it takes a bit of shine away from their glorious years.

Considering Ferrari's pace though, maybe Vettel just wants the satisfaction of overtaking the red car on track .
He seems to be betting on the clean slate in 2022. Lawrence Stroll has promised to pump in money towards development. The 2022 budget cap means everyone - on paper - will have the same amount of money to spend and the erstwhile Force India team were considered to be the best at getting the most out of a limited budget, which should still be the case considering the personnel are the same. Also, what will be the more interesting development is the status of Andy Cowell, where is he going? Is he staying in F1? Ferrari has denied he is coming to Mugello, if Stroll manages to land him that would be a massive gain for the team.

Vettel will also be thinking of one other thing, if Hamilton goes, he might have a shot at Mercedes - whose first choice might be Max Verstappen but he might not move.

Obviously all of this is speculative, like you pointed out, maybe he just wants a season just to confirm - to himself - that his racecraft is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glikithvinayaka View Post
His Company car is also Ready
Hope they bring back The British Racing Green!
The Aston Martin colours are a more lime green

Last edited by da_lowrider : 11th September 2020 at 07:10. Reason: Quoted additional post
da_lowrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 07:57   #18
Team-BHP Support

Good for Seb to be in a team that wants him rather than being in Ferrari as an unwanted outsider. And considering Ferrari is on a downward trajectory over the past couple of years it could very well be a lateral move rather than a step down
Old 11th September 2020, 08:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

The biggest winner in all this is Vettel of course. He managed to get a Mercedes seat after all, albeit in a slightly different shade.

Aston should have a relatively strong car for 2021. Can Sebastian really keep the car pointed in the right direction always and haul good points from an intensely competitive midfield? The fight is really strong out there and the jury is still out on his race craft come Sunday. So, we have to wait and see! Perez did this beautifully well though! More on that below.

By picking Vettel, It is clear Aston is not just looking at F1 races and points. Else, there was no need to ditch Perez like this after signing a multiyear contract with him. Germany is a very strong market for Aston and I see them going all out and having a stronghold with the Continuation project in the coming years! And Vettel plays nicely into that. He is very very marketable and got a lot of pull irrespective of his form since the last title. Just hope, he can cut down those many frequent mistakes on Sundays though.

The biggest loser in all this is undoubtedly Perez. And considering what all he has done and achieved for the team ever since Force India fell apart, it is immensely sad! This was not done on merit! Else, there is no reason why he would lose out when the other two is Vettel and Stroll. Perez is very strong on Sunday, he is at the peak of his career, and he also brings in a lot of money! Why would anyone say No?? It's really baffling. But it is the harsh reality. One is a big name and the other is the owner's son!

I really hope Perez finds a good seat in 2021.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 08:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Whatever you say of Vettel, he is a likeable character! He is surely not one of diplomatic drivers who say what the media wants to hear.

When he joined Ferrari, he brought a great amount of positivity to the team, and he managed to immediately impress everyone around. A thorough team player, he has never in his last 5 years put the team under the bus or ever talked higher about his performance than the team or the car. This is what differentiated him and Alonso. When Alonso was in Ferrari he always made it sound like he is the guy who is putting the car in places that it shouldnt be. But Seb always backed the team, its only this year his tone has changed a bit, and thats obvious post the treatment he got.

To be fair to Ferrari, they did make the right move. It makes no sense to retain someone by paying thru the roof if he is going to get beaten by a far younger and cheaper driver. So thats fine by me. But they should have handled this whole thing a lot better.

Outside racing, Seb is known to be a very friendly character with fans, have seen numerous instances of him doing some wonderful gestures to fans and his humour is unparalleled too! While Ricciardo is the goofy type, Seb comes across as the more natural one!

Two instances stand out for me, one where Seb changed the position of the 1 and 2 at the Canadian Grand Prix where he was penalised a bit harsh and the rant on Charlie whiting! Thats precisely what you and me would do, right? And probably thats why he is a driver I would continue to like and support even if he moves away from the team I have been supporting for the last 2 decades.

Im sure he will be in a much more relaxed environment at Aston Martin and will surely give inputs to the team and car in a constructive way! Ciao in the British Green Seb!
motorworks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 09:55   #21

Quote:

Completely agree with GTO here. Moreover Ferrari's treatment of Seb hasn't been quite appropriate ever since the news of him leaving Ferrari came. During some of the races this season, we can hear Seb pointing out to a wrong strategy used instead of the ones he was suggesting(which could be better I assume going by the conversation on his radio).
Old 11th September 2020, 10:02   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Whatever you say of Vettel, he is a likeable character! He is surely not one of diplomatic drivers who say what the media wants to hear.

When he joined Ferrari, he brought a great amount of positivity to the team, and he managed to immediately impress everyone around. A thorough team player, he has never in his last 5 years put the team under the bus or ever talked higher about his performance than the team or the car. This is what differentiated him and Alonso. When Alonso was in Ferrari he always made it sound like he is the guy who is putting the car in places that it shouldnt be. But Seb always backed the team, its only this year his tone has changed a bit, and thats obvious post the treatment he got.

To be fair to Ferrari, they did make the right move. It makes no sense to retain someone by paying thru the roof if he is going to get beaten by a far younger and cheaper driver. So thats fine by me. But they should have handled this whole thing a lot better.

Outside racing, Seb is known to be a very friendly character with fans, have seen numerous instances of him doing some wonderful gestures to fans and his humour is unparalleled too! While Ricciardo is the goofy type, Seb comes across as the more natural one!

Two instances stand out for me, one where Seb changed the position of the 1 and 2 at the Canadian Grand Prix where he was penalised a bit harsh and the rant on Charlie whiting! Thats precisely what you and me would do, right? And probably thats why he is a driver I would continue to like and support even if he moves away from the team I have been supporting for the last 2 decades.

Im sure he will be in a much more relaxed environment at Aston Martin and will surely give inputs to the team and car in a constructive way! Ciao in the British Green Seb!
Agree what you said about Seb but don't quite agree on the Alonso part. Alonso is a fiery character and puts his everything into it. Yes, sometimes emotions do get the better of him, but dont think you can really blame him. What he managed to do with the 2012 Ferrari was pure class. Can't say that about Seb too much where he blew few chances couple of years when the Ferrari was Championship material. I dont think Seb is any Saint either, based on his earlier antics in Red Bull. Nor are they expected to be. This sport demands them to be ruthless i think. But, i think both have matured now.

Yes, i am an Alonso Fan and do rate him higher than Seb. Hence, you may find POV partial towards him. Anyways, we should be in for a Treat in 2021 / 22 with Alonso & Vettel in new Teams / Colors fighting with Lewis & Max.

Please don't take any offence.
abhi3284 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 16:10   #23
BHPian

Quote:

Vettel still has a couple of years left in him and based on his interviews it feels that he is still willing to put in the effort. Retiring after a premier team has ended your contract and you have had probably your worst season isn't the way he would like to end his career. So this move would only benefit him.

I understand that we don't want him to go the Raikkonen way but Racing Point looks in a much better shape to challenge Merc/RB/Ferrari in the next couple of years.

Let's hope for the best!
Old 11th September 2020, 16:28   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

I can understand Vettel is simply looking at adding to his retirement & investment fund kitty. Money can never be "more". Logical and smart move by the German racer that I respect generally (except a bit for Multi21 & turning into Webber once after overtake perhaps).

What does Aston Martin stand to gain from this gamble I wonder?
P.S. - Of all the various name identities that this team has been through - I think "Spyker F1" is the best one, followed by "Midland F1".

Last edited by Reinhard : 11th September 2020 at 16:30.
Old 11th September 2020, 20:55   #25
BHPian

My quick thoughts -
> Good move by Vettel. I think he still has a lot left in him and he is moving to a team which would mould itself around him, rather than the other way around. I am sure he expects to emulate what happened with Lewis & Mercedes, something which is very much possible
> Seb, without a doubt, is unbeatable when things fall in place. However, he needs to be more adaptable when they don't. Max, Lewis & many others are greats because of their ability to 'manage' with inferior ammo on the day. Oh and those unforced errors are a strict no-no
> RP looks like a team which focuses more on the racing & less on politics. The atmosphere at Ferrari, IMO is extremely corrosive. I am an LH fan and wouldn't want him to move to Ferrari for this very reason
> Seb + Checo would have been a potent combination for AMR. Seb has the experience and the feedback which they need and Checo could have been the perfect 'Valtteri'
> Proof again that Nepotism almost always trumps Talent. Sad
> Nevertheless, can't wait for the 2022 season to begin!
Old 12th September 2020, 15:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
Agree what you said about Seb but don't quite agree on the Alonso part. Alonso is a fiery character and puts his everything into it. Yes, sometimes emotions do get the better of him, but dont think you can really blame him. What he managed to do with the 2012 Ferrari was pure class. Can't say that about Seb too much where he blew few chances couple of years when the Ferrari was Championship material. I dont think Seb is any Saint either, based on his earlier antics in Red Bull. Nor are they expected to be. This sport demands them to be ruthless i think. But, i think both have matured now.

Yes, i am an Alonso Fan and do rate him higher than Seb. Hence, you may find POV partial towards him. Anyways, we should be in for a Treat in 2021 / 22 with Alonso & Vettel in new Teams / Colors fighting with Lewis & Max.

Please don't take any offence.

Hey, none taken! I was a huge fan of Alonso when we drove for Ferrari, went to watch him in the Budh circuit. And I think he is a fantastic racing driver as well. But in his last year at Ferrari and the following years at Mclaren he really made it about himself. Anyway, it would be good to see him back in the Alpine Racing team next year, and going by how Racing point is performing this year, im guessing we will witness a lot of battles between Seb and Alonso.
Old 1st January 2021, 00:52   #27
Senior - BHPian

Couldn't find the thread for the Aston Martin Team so posting it here.

Has anyone been able to see the AMRF1 Racing Livery yet? I couldn't find it on Instagram, Website or Twitter.
Old 1st January 2021, 01:26   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
I couldn't find it on Instagram, Website or Twitter.
They are to reveal the same today.
There was a post by Aston Martin with caption Lights Out and today's date

Sebastian Vettel signs up with Aston Martin for 2021 & beyond-download.jpg
Old 1st January 2021, 10:55   #29
Senior - BHPian

Introducing the Aston Martin Formula 1 Team.

61 years after we last competed in F1, Aston Martin is back on the grid in 2021.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks