Team-BHP > Motor-Sports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2020, 05:03   #1
Team-BHP Support

Your favourite movies on motorsports

Most of us, particularly those who have been into cars since childhood, have watched movies on motorsports. Over the years, there have been some brilliant ones and some that have been really terrible.

I started watch movies in the 1980s. Among the first ones I watched was "The Great Race" from 1965. Then came the Herbie series and the Cannonball Run Series. I was very young then and couldn't critically review anything. Needless to say, I enjoyed every movie I watched. It was only in the 1990s, that I started understanding some technical terms, started following motorsports seriously and also watched some motorsport related movies that were more serious. All of us have our favourites motorsport related movies.

Here are my favourites:

LeMans (1971) - I'm a big fan of endurance racing on which this movie is based. It features less dialogues more racing and the sounds of those old racing engines is mesmerising.

Blu-Ray disc available on Amazon

Trailer:

Ford Vs Ferrari (2019) - Another movie based on endurance racing and a piece of history. Rivalry between two great car companies, good acting and close racing - what more could one ask for?

Watch it on Hotstar

Blu-Ray disc available on Amazon

Trailers:

Rush (2013) - A movie based on the rivalry between two Formula 1 greats - Niki Lauda and James Hunt, who were opposites when it came to personality.

Watch it on Dailymotion

Trailer:

Days of Thunder (1990) - Based on stock car racing, this one's about the return of racing driver who has been injured in a crash and the challenges he faces. Very good soundtrack as well.

Rent it on iTunes

Discs available on Flipkart

Trailer:

So, what is your favourite movie on motorsports?

Thanks to Jalopnik for this thread idea.

Last edited by Aditya : 27th October 2020 at 14:50.
Aditya is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 17:03   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Your favourite movies on motorsports

Rush and Ford vs Ferrari are iconic! Great to see movies like these come out in recent times. Throwing my 2 paisa in:

Senna!

Drag Racing is a sport, so I'm going to sneak Fast & Furious in

More of a documentary than a movie, but my god, the opening scenes will have you
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 17:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Having enjoyed Ford Vs Ferrari & LeMans with my teen son, am I happy or what, to note the other movies that are coming up on this thread.

Wow !. Will bookmark this page.

I can already see the next few weekends planned out with Senna, Rush and Days of Thunder. Can't wait to watch those and enjoy some quiet, lazy times at home. Thanks much !
Old 27th October 2020, 17:14   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford v/s Ferrari comes to my mind instantly and that one of my favourite actor is in it, makes it even more special.

Also, the documentary Senna as quoted by GTO is one hell of a documentary. If my grey cells are active still, the documentary won many awards and was perhaps up for an academy award as well. Asif Kapadia just made one hell of a documentary. He is the same guy who made The Warrior and which actually was responsible for the rise of the great Irrfan Khan during the start of the millennium.

One more just for kicks- although not a motor sport movie but I simply loved the driver of the movie Baby Driver Don’t know about others but simply loved the sequence, sharing the link for the opening sequence of the movie.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 27th October 2020 at 17:22.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 17:22   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
More of a documentary than a movie, but my god, the opening scenes will have you
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=tEMmKyR11yM
And Fastest :
mayankk is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 18:53   #6

My additions:
1)The Italian Job(new version): carrying out a robbery with mini coopers was great watch and it also has nice car chase scenes

2) Overdrive (2019): A very flashy mainstream film but still has a load of classic cars which we can go on admiring irrespective of the boring storyline.

3)Gone In 60 Seconds : An all time classic and the epic scene in which Nicolas Cage is being chased by an helicopter and the car just pulls up a neat trick �� (im not spoiling the fun for the ones who have not watched this)
Malluspec is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 21:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Ford Vs Ferrari was really a damp squib after all that hype. I didn't enjoy it at all.

Rush and Senna was a different level altogether! Especially the former as its a full-fledged movie too. And I often wonder why Netflix or some other OTT platform doesn't make a series after Niki. I read his biography recently and it was just epic! What a legend!!

And on documentaries, don't miss Tourist Trophy : Closer To The Edge.

Like Niki, anything about TT is on a class of its own. Here is the thread that was created back in 2014 if you need some details on TT. The Isle of Man TT - A racing spectacle like no other!

deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 21:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Oh!! Boy!! Let me stick to the ones I thoroughly enjoyed rather than listing all of the ones I've seen

Don't expect to know what happened in the end

Feel free to skip, if you're not lover of cartoons; Mr. Jobs did a fantastic job!

I liked the 1974 as well

The 1974...

The impossible stunts on 2 & 3 were not as good as first one

Anyone fan of Mel Gibson here?
aargee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 09:25   #9
BHPian

My favorites are Senna, Rush and Ford vs. Ferrari. Absolute gems!
Old 28th October 2020, 10:08   #10
BANNED

Rush hit all the spots for a great movie about motorsports. Not a fan of Ford/Ferrari. The last racing movie I had seen was Driven, which was utter nonsense. So didn't have much expectation when I saw Rush, but it proved me wrong.
Old 28th October 2020, 10:19   #11

'Drive', starring Ryan Gosling, while strictly not a movie about cars or racing per se, is a great watch, especially for folks who take delight in casually driving around their city at night

Arreyosambha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 10:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

Since, most of the movies I have seen and liked are already mentioned in the above posts I would only mention the first motorsports movie I saw and which is one of my favourites.

The Worlds Fastest Indian ( The Indian here refers to the Indian motorcycle company and not Narain Karthikeyan )

Another one you guys should watch if you haven’t already is a Japanese cartoon series on street racing by the name ‘Initial D’

Your favourite movies on motorsports-04f91e1433344bfbb0b148d3ec353f83.jpeg

Last edited by SnS_12 : 28th October 2020 at 10:31.
SnS_12 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 11:13   #13
BHPian

Since I love motorcycles and MotoGP, I really loved 'Hitting the Apex' which is more of a documentary but just shows the scary bike-control these guys in MotoGP have.

Long live #VR46

anand.shankar82 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 11:46   #14
A.K
Senior - BHPian

A work of fiction but still motorsport related, this one deserves a mention on the thread!

A.K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 12:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

My vote: World's fastest Indian and Ford vs Ferrari! There simply aren't many great motorsports movies are there?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks