Team-BHP > Motor-Sports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2010, 12:34   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
I think you didn't get my point , what i was trying to enquire is that did the owners of these 3 cars drive down from their respective states only for this rally like the Australian guy flew down his GV.

Also when you say that "cannot be driven as a commuter cars on normal road" - do you mean that they are not street legal or is it some other reason?

Pardon me for my ignorance.
Generally for any major distant motorsport event the cars are not driven down, rather they are transported, to avoid any mechanical wear and tear prior to the event.

Technically competition cars are not street legal as they do not have parts which comply with the specifications as per manufacturers, but since this is India, no one bothers and hence some people do drive these competition cars on a regular basis on the streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
the reason it cannot be driven like commuter car is its highly tuned, these cars give maximum mileage of 4-5kmpl, more wear and tear will be there, and heats up very soon, not suitable for long journeys.
These points holds no truth. Reason is that barring the Group N+ category cars (which are used only for INRC) all other rally cars are tuned to Group N standards, which means stock engine and gearbox, only FFE, filter and ECU are modified. These cars do give mileage figures of 9 - 12 kmpl with ECU on if driven normally, yes it does drop to those kmpl figures you mentioned only when they are redlined in a competition.

Also they dont wear and tear more than any stock car simply because they are prepared to take stress loads far greater than a stock car and that too for seasons long. Comparitively a stock car will wear out its suspension on the same dirt track much earlier than a rally car's.

Regarding heat, yes there is no AC in the car, but do we always need one? I know of many rallyists (myself being one) who can drive these cars for an avg of 700 km's a day. If you are talking about overheating, thats only when they are driven by the scruff of their neck. Otherwise they are like stock.

Karthik no offense to you, but you should read about competition cars more to figure out how they are prepared and what they are capable off.

Last edited by NOS Power : 17th June 2010 at 12:39.
Old 17th June 2010, 13:29   #17
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
Generally for any major distant motorsport event the cars are not driven down, rather they are transported, to avoid any mechanical wear and tear prior to the event.

Technically competition cars are not street legal as they do not have parts which comply with the specifications as per manufacturers, but since this is India, no one bothers and hence some people do drive these competition cars on a regular basis on the streets.

These points holds no truth. Reason is that barring the Group N+ category cars (which are used only for INRC) all other rally cars are tuned to Group N standards, which means stock engine and gearbox, only FFE, filter and ECU are modified. These cars do give mileage figures of 9 - 12 kmpl with ECU on if driven normally, yes it does drop to those kmpl figures you mentioned only when they are redlined in a competition.

Also they dont wear and tear more than any stock car simply because they are prepared to take stress loads far greater than a stock car and that too for seasons long. Comparitively a stock car will wear out its suspension on the same dirt track much earlier than a rally car's.

Regarding heat, yes there is no AC in the car, but do we always need one? I know of many rallyists (myself being one) who can drive these cars for an avg of 700 km's a day. If you are talking about overheating, thats only when they are driven by the scruff of their neck. Otherwise they are like stock.

Karthik no offense to you, but you should read about competition cars more to figure out how they are prepared and what they are capable off.

i do agree for what ever u said, one can drive these cars to get 9-12kmpl. but once it is tuned will u drive economically? i didnt tell all the part's wear and tear is more. some parts like, plugs, fan belts, timing chain, cluch, gaskets, bearings will go off more often than commuter cars. guys like we drive cars without AC thats not the issue, it wont be as comfortable as driving a commuter cars in long journeys. and nobody wants to take stress and give stress to their cars prior to the event.
Old 17th June 2010, 14:36   #18
BHPian

Well, here are some more pics -
Attached Thumbnails
Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-31308_403617501311_757821311_4386938_2800549_n.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-31308_403632366311_757821311_4387437_4030679_n.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-31308_403632371311_757821311_4387438_3302809_n.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-31308_403632391311_757821311_4387442_5109812_n.jpg  

Old 17th June 2010, 14:41   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
Well, here are some more pics -
nice pics murali
Old 17th June 2010, 14:50   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantragna View Post
2w Group-D
Awesome man. How did you do?

I was following up your bike posts on the motorcycles section.

I have rallied a couple of times in the Monsoon Scooter rally almost a decade back on a KiHo - stock.

Someday I want to get back.

If you can outline your experience of preparing the bike, getting the required license, documents, etc and actually participating in the rally it would be a great way for folks like us to know what goes into preparing for such a rally.

Again awesome going. Hope you get to participate in more.
Old 17th June 2010, 18:41   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Awesome man. How did you do?

I was following up your bike posts on the motorcycles section.

I have rallied a couple of times in the Monsoon Scooter rally almost a decade back on a KiHo - stock.

Someday I want to get back.

If you can outline your experience of preparing the bike, getting the required license, documents, etc and actually participating in the rally it would be a great way for folks like us to know what goes into preparing for such a rally.

Again awesome going. Hope you get to participate in more.

Thanks for appreciation dude! Since this was my first event, my target was to complete the rally which I did. I was also told by fellow competitors that my performance was better from day 2 onwards who were atleast 2 rally year old!

Nice to hear that you want to come back to 2W rallying.

My preparation of my bike was not of much of what I had assumed & planned for it! Only a few as listed below was done, since I was riding the stock class (Group-D).
  • Actually I got the bike's tyres changed for MRF Moto-D for rear & Ceat Secura Sport for front wheels, costed about INR 2150+1250.
  • Replaced the handle bar of a RD, fabricated centre cross bar, also added bar end weights for lesser vibrations & also to protect the control levers from breaking incase of a fall, costed INR 200+100.
  • Heightened the seat cushion for better handling on corners by moving myself more towards the front (also protecting my jewels from crushing against the bumpy tank), costed INR. 250/-
  • Also got fabricated pair of solid metal foot rest / pegs, costed INR 250/-
  • Installed a cigarette lighter socket for Air compressor, for emergency filling of air to the tyre/tubes incase of a puncture during the rally. Costed INR 25 for socket & INR 600/- for air compressor (from Big Bazaar). This setup really helped not just me at Coimbatore stages (when the front wheel had puncture, & had to complete the next half of the 27km stage in partial air pressure & filled at the end of the stage & continued to complete another 3 stages), but also helped other fellow competitors who had punctures during the transport stages & filled air to reach their respective service team.
  • Also had sufficient tools for tightening the fasteners, like foot peg stems, front fork, steering setup, etc..
On the documentation part, I had got rally cover insurance for the no of days of the event with the letter from the Organiser of my entry confirmation. Authorisation letter from the owner of the bike to use it for the event. I had all other regular street legal docs like, original RC book, Vehicle Insurance, Road Tax receipt, Emission / Pollution Under Control certificate, Original Valid Driving Licence. One set of photocopy of these documentation was provided to the organiser while showing the originals for checking of authenticity, two more photocopy sets was kept handy, & the originals with me.

Was also carrying spares for the bike like, handlebar control levers / brackets, control cables, drive chain links, etc.. Got the spark plugs (Mico Bosch), were changed after leg 1 at Mysore (noticeable performance change since the older plugs were more than 15k kms old).

For riding gear check the riding gear thread for details of my possessions.

I guess that I was the only guy who was servicing his own bike, except for one Mr. Kaustubh Shrirang Machhe from Pune who didn't ever service his bike AFAIK.

Last edited by tantragna : 17th June 2010 at 18:43.
Old 17th June 2010, 19:21   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for appreciation dude! Since this was my first event, my target was to complete the rally which I did. I was also told by fellow competitors that my performance was better from day 2 onwards who were atleast 2 rally year old!

Nice to hear that you want to come back to 2W rallying.

My preparation of my bike was not of much of what I had assumed & planned for it! Only a few as listed below was done, since I was riding the stock class (Group-D).
  • Actually I got the bike's tyres changed for MRF Moto-D for rear & Ceat Secura Sport for front wheels, costed about INR 2150+1250.
  • Replaced the handle bar of a RD, fabricated centre cross bar, also added bar end weights for lesser vibrations & also to protect the control levers from breaking incase of a fall, costed INR 200+100.
  • Heightened the seat cushion for better handling on corners by moving myself more towards the front (also protecting my jewels from crushing against the bumpy tank), costed INR. 250/-
  • Also got fabricated pair of solid metal foot rest / pegs, costed INR 250/-
  • Installed a cigarette lighter socket for Air compressor, for emergency filling of air to the tyre/tubes incase of a puncture during the rally. Costed INR 25 for socket & INR 600/- for air compressor (from Big Bazaar). This setup really helped not just me at Coimbatore stages (when the front wheel had puncture, & had to complete the next half of the 27km stage in partial air pressure & filled at the end of the stage & continued to complete another 3 stages), but also helped other fellow competitors who had punctures during the transport stages & filled air to reach their respective service team.
  • Also had sufficient tools for tightening the fasteners, like foot peg stems, front fork, steering setup, etc..
On the documentation part, I had got rally cover insurance for the no of days of the event with the letter from the Organiser of my entry confirmation. Authorisation letter from the owner of the bike to use it for the event. I had all other regular street legal docs like, original RC book, Vehicle Insurance, Road Tax receipt, Emission / Pollution Under Control certificate, Original Valid Driving Licence. One set of photocopy of these documentation was provided to the organiser while showing the originals for checking of authenticity, two more photocopy sets was kept handy, & the originals with me.

Was also carrying spares for the bike like, handlebar control levers / brackets, control cables, drive chain links, etc.. Got the spark plugs (Mico Bosch), were changed after leg 1 at Mysore (noticeable performance change since the older plugs were more than 15k kms old).

For riding gear check the riding gear thread for details of my possessions.

I guess that I was the only guy who was servicing his own bike, except for one Mr. Kaustubh Shrirang Machhe from Pune who didn't ever service his bike AFAIK.
when i saw you along with your bike near halagur pertol bunk, i was wondered how can he do a rally with pulsar. but you did it dude. you proved its not the vehicle wins the race, but a rider wins the race.. thanks for sharing your experience here. i will also be entering into the rallies soon
Old 18th June 2010, 12:13   #23
BANNED

Quote:
I guess that I was the only guy who was servicing his own bike,
And that is all that is to this sport. It needs a lot to go and participate in such events. There are many more like you out there, each one of you is what makes this sport truly a great watch.

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation. I will surely follow up on my wish as soon as possible.
Old 18th June 2010, 14:24   #24
BHPian

Quote:
when i saw you along with your bike near halagur pertol bunk, i was wondered how can he do a rally with pulsar. but you did it dude. you proved its not the vehicle wins the race, but a rider wins the race.. thanks for sharing your experience here. i will also be entering into the rallies soon
Thanks for the recognition Karthik, actually I had a nasty fall at the beginning of the very first stage at a tricky zig-zag corner so had to stop at the petrol bunk to inspect the damages & cello-taped the headlight lens along the broken pieces. Also the new helmet impressed with its integrity & sturdiness as the helmet's nose crome took the impact of the face first hit on the tarmac. I was also happy that the knee guard safeguarded my knee. Infact I was pretty shaken with the fall as I got scared that bike would have taken the toll. I had decided to keep the crash guard to avoid major damages, since this was my first rally & also due to the weight factor of the bike. During the entire first day, I was carrying way-too too-much luggage on the baggage on the rear seat of the bike with those heavy tools & spares (which was weighing atleast 10 kilos), also a thickly packed shoulder baggage with documents, clothes & some more personal stuff!

I decided to drastically reduce this load on me by dumping the shoulder bag into a fellow competitor's service car & also some weight off the baggage on the bike by cutting short of those extra tools & spares, by keeping only those would be needed for the between stages services. After that day onwards followed the same way & my performance on the stages was only getting better by the experience gained from each day. It was then that I started to enjoy the sport to its fullest!

Also I was carrying a pair of tyre changing levers (they were really heavy) on the rear of the bike to get myself punctures fixed at those deserted places, which incidentally flew-off during the very first stage in Day 2 (Coorg coffee estates). That scared me that it did hit somebody or something like that! Thankfully nothing such happened.

After that day onwards, riding the dare was fun & learning! I had couple of more falls in Coorg & one while return journey which was nasty one where I had hurt my muscular system of my left shoulder/chest/back area to which I am still taking rest to recover better. Also my left thigh was hit hard too, which left me limping for a day or two!

After the last fall near to the Karnataka Border, I managed to reach the border check-post by good Samaritans a truck driver & another Mr.Duraiswamy who were passing by, saw me down off the road & offered to help, infact I was riding before Mr.Duraiswamy's Bolero so that if any such incident happens somebody would notice. I also thank Mr.Suresh of Karnataka State Police who offered to take rest overnight at the checkpost shelter as it was already 10pm & difficult to find a puncture shop to fix the front wheel due to which I had lost control & slided off the road.

Many THANKS Mr. Duraiswamy(Cheran electricals & hardwares, Gundlupet) & Mr. Suresh (KSP). If not for these gentlemen I would have had a tough time for me to get through the elephant & tiger haunted forest road near Punajur (from Sathyamangalam).

Sorry if I am putting in too much of words here!

Two more things on the documentation part that I missed earlier are,
1) Minimum of 2 lacs of PA cover with Table III High/Heavy Risk Cover with 25% hospitalization benefits was mandatory to participate in this event &
2) I paid INR 1050 on spot for the FMSCI competitors license which would be valid for the entire calendar year, The paper work had about 4 pages of forms with 1 page of personal info, 2 pages of fitness/medical form & another for official use.

On the bike preparation, I had changed the chain/sprocket kit too to that of a ROLON CSB, costed another INR 700/-, fresh engine oil 1 ltr (costed INR 220/-) before to the start of day 1 & after day 2 SS stages (costed INR 270/-). Topped up engine oil with another half a liter (costed 100/-) early of the return journey (actually my bike's engine was gulping up about 1/2 ltr every 1000kms). Total fuel costs for the event was 3k & return journey was 1k (as I also visited BR hills & MM hills, enroute back home).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
And that is all that is to this sport. It needs a lot to go and participate in such events. There are many more like you out there, each one of you is what makes this sport truly a great watch.

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation. I will surely follow up on my wish as soon as possible.
Thanks Spitfire! Go for your dreams if you have one like mine, cos its just one life & one youth-hood we have to enjoy & fulfill it!

Note from Team-BHP Support : Only 2 Smileys per post allowed. Please read the forum rules before proceeding further.

Last edited by mobike008 : 20th November 2010 at 13:03.
tantragna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2010, 19:44   #25
BHPian

Tea time with Rally Officials Director Jai Das Menon, Steward Chakri, Marshal Ananth, Marshal Docel, and myself
Attached Thumbnails
Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-crw_5541.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-crw_5540.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-crw_5536.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-crw_5535.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-crw_5542.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-crw_5538.jpg  

Old 18th June 2010, 19:54   #26
BHPian

some pics of service areas where competitors got their ride serviced.
Attached Thumbnails
Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-crw_5572.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-crw_5573.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-crw_5579.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-crw_5577.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-crw_5677.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-crw_5678.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-crw_5679.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-crw_5680.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-crw_5681.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-crw_5682.jpg  

Old 18th June 2010, 20:04   #27
BHPian

some pore pics at the service areas
Attached Thumbnails
Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-crw_5684.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-crw_5686.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-crw_5687.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-crw_5688.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-crw_5689.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-crw_5690.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-crw_5691.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-crw_5692.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-crw_5693.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-img_5082.jpg  

Old 18th June 2010, 20:11   #28
BHPian

some pics near halagur petrol bunk
Attached Thumbnails
Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-img_5084.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-img_5085.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-img_5086.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-img_5092.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-img_5095.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-img_5099.jpg  

Old 18th June 2010, 22:37   #29
BHPian

Quote:
i do agree for what ever u said, one can drive these cars to get 9-12kmpl. but once it is tuned will u drive economically?
Yes my friend they do, and the reason being that whatever thrill they want to get out of those machines, they get it in the best possible way on the track, that's the differences between competitors and street racers. Can you say that Michael Schumacher or Sebastian Loeb drive their high performance road cars the same way they drive on the track or stage?

Quote:
i didnt tell all the part's wear and tear is more. some parts like, plugs, fan belts, timing chain, cluch, gaskets, bearings will go off more often than commuter cars.
Again i say this, know the difference between the rally cars and stock cars then you would know what i am talking about. Group N Rally cars are just like some of the modded cars many forum members own, i.e. only having FFE, ECU and filter as power enhancing mods. Some modded cars are even more extreme than these rally cars, so do you think while street driving their car parts wear faster than normal? Maybe not so noticeably. In a competition yes they will.

Quote:
guys like we drive cars without AC thats not the issue, it wont be as comfortable as driving a commuter cars in long journeys. and nobody wants to take stress and give stress to their cars prior to the event.
Agreed and disagreed. Agreed as most people don't like to take stress or harder shock jolts while driving for long hours. Disagreed as some people find the improved power output and driveability of the engine, the stability coming from the hard shocks and the composure from the racing seat as better tools for driving comfortably. It depends from person to person.

Just want to add one line, there are some misconceptions regarding competition rally cars which are not true, if you had driven or owned one for a while you will know what i am talking about.
Old 20th June 2010, 00:35   #30
BHPian

Few more photos as taken from my friend (Mr. Ravi) who came by to see our action at Coorg. He says that some more is still yet to be sent to me, so more to come. Hope to see my action photo.
The first one, Mr.Nataraj & Mr.Uday are seen along with others, in the second is me, third Mr.Rakesh, & at the 4th is Mr.Chethan Ganapathy!
Attached Thumbnails
Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-09062010045.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-09062010046.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-09062010050.jpg  

Dakshin Dare Rally 2010-09062010049.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks