Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 15:14   #1
BHPian

Karizma ZMR: weird starting problem

Hello

My ZMR is a year old. When I depress the self-start switch, the entire display goes blank and gets reset while the bike starts. Twice I've given the bike to the dealer (service center) and twice he has just charged the battery and given it back. But again, after 2 days, it's the same problem. Sometimes the display goes blank and the self-start switch gives of a brrrrrrrrr sound.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance.

regards.
Old 9th May 2011, 15:55   #2
BHPian

Re: Karizma ZMR: weird starting problem

Seems the battery is at the end of its life. Advice you to please get the battery checked at a specialty battery service center.
Old 9th May 2011, 15:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

If the clock and trip meter gets reset then it is a clear indicator of weak battery. I guess your battery is faulty as after getting it charged by dealer your bike is OK for 1-2 days but again problems reappears as battery is not able to retain charge. Get your battery replaced under warranty if it has not expired else confirm with an outside battery shop and change it.
Old 9th May 2011, 16:31   #4
Team-BHP Support

Can mostly be a battery problem. Once the bike starts, do all electricals work fine? In which case, it should the battery acting up.

But you said, the bike is just a year old? That is hardly any time for a OEM battery to be towards the end of it's life. Have it checked from a battery shop and based on that, ask the dealer for a new battery.
Old 9th May 2011, 19:11   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

When you get your battery checked, perhaps it's a good idea to check the alternator's function too? That could also be the faulty part. I'm presuming when the services guys charged your battery, they would have checked for weak cells.
Old 9th May 2011, 19:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Mostly the battery is not getting charged as it should. Have they checked the charging rate of the bike?
or
If the charging rate is proper, maybe the battery is faulty with a damaged cell or something. In this case borrow another battery from the service centre or the battery shop and run with it for couple of days and see how it goes.
Old 9th May 2011, 19:51   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like the battery isn't giving out enough amps.

But as the battery last two days after the full charge, and its just a year old, I have a question for you: Are you riding short distances everyday?. Self- starting a bike every now and then saps battery fast. You need to ride enough for the battery to get charged again.

If thats not the case, then check the sp.gravity from the neighborhood battery shop. Bike alternators are pretty reliable and seldom go wrong. Another tip for maintaining bike batteries is turn off headlights while starting.

Last edited by dhanushs : 9th May 2011 at 19:53.
Old 9th May 2011, 19:58   #8
BHPian

Apart from battery, ask them to run a diagnostic check on the ECU. My ZMR faced similar issue and stalled on the highway. Could also be a possible issue with some sensors going kaput (Speedo sensor, etc)

Do ask them to flush out the error codes (if any) from the ECU. Visit Sai Motors, They take special care in servicing the ZMR's. Good Luck! Ride Safe.
Old 9th May 2011, 22:59   #9
kkg
BHPian

Same things used to happen to my friend's Karizma R. He gave his bike to neighborhood bike wallah who serviced the self start motor. Since then the problem has not surfaced. Also, the trip meter and clock do not get reset now.

BTW, he visited the HH service center earlier and they recommended to change the battery which was only about a year old.
Old 16th May 2011, 13:57   #10
BHPian

Hey all of you, thanks so much for the replies. Looks like everything's pointing to the battery and the charging circuit. I will try Sai Motors on MadBiker's advice. If they aren't able to fix it, I will have to find a local bike-walla.

@libranof1987: yes, once the bike starts, all the electricals work perfectly - horn is loud as ever, indicators, headlight, etc. all fine.

thanks again guys.
Old 29th June 2012, 10:10   #11
BHPian

Hi Farhad. I own a 2011 ZMR and it just turned a year old a few days back. I was searching the forum for a solution to a problem i've been facing on my bike,when i came across your thread.
The issue is the same as what you had faced.Whenever i de-press the ignition switch the display goes blank for a while and comes back with the clock and the trip meters reset. The dealer says the battery must be weak. However,while on the move,the horn,lights seem to be working perfectly fine and do not seem to fade out.The dealer says ill have to check with Exide directly for the replacement.
What i want to know from you is,did you replace the battery eventually???Did you do any other modifications/corrections to the wiring???Will the weak battery cause any possible damage to the sensors??? Was the problem solved???
Old 29th June 2012, 11:35   #12
BHPian

Just Go ahead and change the battery,Display blanking is due to starter drawing power from the weak battery.

Make sure you sandpaper your contacts before installing the new battery,that will for sure sort the issue you are pointing at.

No damage as such would happen just that its not advisable as the trip meter and everything seem to kind off fluctuate due to improper volt.
Old 29th June 2012, 12:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
Hi Farhad. I own a 2011 ZMR and it just turned a year old a few days back. I was searching the forum for a solution to a problem i've been facing on my bike,when i came across your thread.
The issue is the same as what you had faced.Whenever i de-press the ignition switch the display goes blank for a while and comes back with the clock and the trip meters reset. The dealer says the battery must be weak. However,while on the move,the horn,lights seem to be working perfectly fine and do not seem to fade out.The dealer says ill have to check with Exide directly for the replacement.
What i want to know from you is,did you replace the battery eventually???Did you do any other modifications/corrections to the wiring???Will the weak battery cause any possible damage to the sensors??? Was the problem solved???
With the battery being not very old, it should not have gone bad so soon. How frequently do you use your bike and for how many kilometers? If your bike is seldom used or is used only for very short distances, the battery will not be getting properly charged and may have even gone bad.

Get the battery checked at a good battery dealer. If the battery is in good shape and you run your bike enough to charge the battery regularly, check the alternator to see if that is faulty. If that is faulty, then your battery will not be getting charged properly. If the battery is gone bad get a new battery and then ensure that you your battery checked and charged once in 5-6 months (if your running is not much).

I had a similar issue with my Pulsar. Finally I had to replace the battery.
Old 29th June 2012, 12:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

If you have a multimeter , check the voltage when cold .With the meter connected , start the bike and see the battery is being charged by rectifier . the charging voltage should be around 13.5 to 14.5 volt .

Check the voltage at night and check again in morning before start .There should be no drop in voltage .

Last edited by black12rr : 29th June 2012 at 12:53.
Old 29th June 2012, 23:34   #15
BHPian

I would follow the steps:-

1. Try using another battery (borrowed) and see if the problem persists.
2. If not, then try checking the electricals for any loose/short.
3. Most of the time is the battery fault when you see the speedo console blanks every time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks