Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2011, 22:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

Modifying the Hero Honda Hunk

I bought the New Hero Honda Hunk around 4 months ago and clocked 4100km. I've been on long rides to Hogenakal, Manchinbele, Wonderla, Nandi Hills etc. I'm happy with the performance, but still think a bit more can be done. I don't wish to change the stock engine in anyway(like reboring, which is non reversible). But would like to make the bike faster. The top whack I've gotten till date is 114kmph. And I'd like to go at the 125 mark. Is it possible? I've been doing a lot of reading and I've come across a few things. Could you guys suggest the average cost and the speed difference it'll make?

1) Sprocketing: I don't mind losing a bit of acceleration for more top end.
2) Air Filter: Install a K&N Filter just before the carb, will this increase the noise of the bike?
3) HID(not a performance mod): Feasible?
4) All DC Lighting: Important while coming back from long trips late in the night.
Old 23rd May 2011, 23:48   #2
BHPian

Re: Need to do some Mods on new Hunk, please recommend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
I bought the New Hero Honda Hunk around 4 months ago and clocked 4100km. I've been on long rides to Hogenakal, Manchinbele, Wonderla, Nandi Hills etc. I'm happy with the performance, but still think a bit more can be done. I don't wish to change the stock engine in anyway(like reboring, which is non reversible). But would like to make the bike faster. The top whack I've gotten till date is 114kmph. And I'd like to go at the 125 mark. Is it possible? I've been doing a lot of reading and I've come across a few things. Could you guys suggest the average cost and the speed difference it'll make?

1) Sprocketing: I don't mind losing a bit of acceleration for more top end. - Been there done that. Sprockets changed to ZMA's. Top end increases but you will hate the bike in the city. Also, with sprocketing you will have to go for a lighter chain. Expense 4-5K easily.
2) Air Filter: Install a K&N Filter just before the carb, will this increase the noise of the bike?
- Hunk has a square profile filter just below your seat. Putting an exposed K&N (just before the carb) will create problems for you. It will pick dust easily and can also tear if someone is careless. You can try replacing the stock filter with an K&N. Wont help much though (how do I know?, well I just know! )

3) HID(not a performance mod): Feasible? - Want to drain your battery when on that long trip?

4) All DC Lighting: Important while coming back from long trips late in the night.- The Brake lights are DC already. If you are thinking about Headlamp the DC setup will not help much as the Hunk starts juicing up the light at 1500 rpm - 2000 Rpm. Unless you are in a lower RPM than that while riding, will not make a difference.
My answers are in bold. The mods that you speak of, will not really help much if you asked me. Suggest you dont do them. You could however use a lighter chain which helps increase your performance slightly.
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2011, 00:02   #3
Team-BHP Support

The most important thing for a tourer is reliability. Don't mess that up.

The performance gain you want is hardly worth the effort. You are much better off getting a faster bike. If not now maybe after 2 - 3 years.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2011, 00:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm. Thanks for the up guys! By the way, the bike vibrates too much. Would you recommend Semi Synthetic Oil instead of the ones used by the company? I was thinking of Agip and eventually Mobil 1.

and torque, I see that you have ridden our common beloved. Any mods you've made to the stock Hunk? But if HID drains battery, why was I offered it as an accessory when I was buying the bike? And the reason for the DC was simple, when on long rides, its during the curves and the sharp turns that I need the brighter lights than that available during the low rpms..
Old 24th May 2011, 01:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest keep it stock for touring, the Filter in addition to the disadvantages what torquecurve has mentioned will add noise which would be very irritating on highway, beside sit will collect a lot of dust.

when do you change oil? I would recommend replacing it very 2500-3000, you can try Castrol Power 1, I was very happy with it on my ZMA.
Old 24th May 2011, 01:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

no particular schedule. Just the regular services... How much did castrol power 1 cost?? Did it smoothen the engine??
Old 24th May 2011, 20:17   #7
BHPian

Re: Modifying the Hero Honda Hunk

Quote:
Hmmm. Thanks for the up guys! By the way, the bike vibrates too much. Would you recommend Semi Synthetic Oil instead of the ones used by the company? I was thinking of Agip and eventually Mobil 1.

and torque, I see that you have ridden our common beloved. Any mods you've made to the stock Hunk? But if HID drains battery, why was I offered it as an accessory when I was buying the bike? And the reason for the DC was simple, when on long rides, its during the curves and the sharp turns that I need the brighter lights than that available during the low rpms..
Quote:
no particular schedule. Just the regular services... How much did castrol power 1 cost?? Did it smoothen the engine??
You will experience some Vibe when you are in the 60-70 kph phase (4500-5500 rpm). This is mainly due to resonance nothing you can do about it. At all other speeds (rpms) you should not experience it. If you do experience at other Rpms/speeds, it is because your bike has still not settled in. Get your chain tension checked. The bike should settle in after 6K kms.

As for the DC setup, my suggestion would still be in the negative. On the curves, you can opt for an additional light on a separate circuit with its own relay. You can use it when needed. Also, you will get reliability because your main headlamp will not fail because of a separate circuit. Warranty will not be affected as well. (DO NOT cut the original wire harness, whatever the modder tells you.)

CP1 is good. However, I would highly recomment the Gulf 10W30. CP1R is good for ZMA not for Hunk. Hunk has a 1 upsize piston which makes tolerance ver low. You need a thinner oil (20W40 is more viscous than 10W30).Also as you are regularly ripping the bike, I suggest you do oil changes more frequently (1500-2000). Synth or Semi Synth will be expensive. Stick to Mineral. Synth is good only if you are increasing your fuel change interval to 5000 kms+. Otherwise it is expensive (e.g. Shell Advance- 900 bucks).

From my recent post you will understand that I have already tried the mods that you suggested. I have reverted to stock and I am mighty pleased with it. What you can do, if you like carving curves is change the rear suspension setting (notch 5) This will give you good control (stiff suspension), but your back will take a beating.

Last edited by torquecurve : 24th May 2011 at 20:31.
Old 24th May 2011, 21:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Well actually, I'm considering foregoing the Free Services at the company because the bike is regularly being pushed and the Service Centers don't really seem to do anything other than wash the bike and polish it(if it can be termed so). I was considering dropping it off at a Trustworthy Mech who does my brother's P150. Good idea? Sometimes, when I need the extra light, I use the pass signal. And yes, I was also considering installing Mechanical ABS because the rear disks cause the wheels to lock up on wet roads. Any suggestions?
Old 24th May 2011, 21:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Regarding servicing you will always be better off by giving it to a trustworthy mech. HH service is a waste of time and effort as they do nothing but wash and polish, even the engine oil is not changed with proper measurement. I had a CBZ for 7 years and in the 2nd service i saw the HH service guys just take oil out of a drum and pour it in, moreover the oil used was very blackish. Many others had at that time as well suggested to get the bike serviced outside.
Old 24th May 2011, 22:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

yeah, I've noticed. Like spurious liquor for Humans, spurious oil for Bikes from HH. And both have the same effect, they kill the consumers.
Old 6th June 2011, 18:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

just wondering, the rear seat of the Hunk is very uncomfy and split handlebars will add to the styling and the handling of the bike right? So U was wondering if the seat and handlebars of the new CBZ Xtreme can be plonked onto the Hunk?
Old 6th June 2011, 19:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Get yr seats refoamed. Damn cheap. Try it out and see. Add a couple of layers of foam for better comfort. Regd handlebars, i am not sure if Clipons change the riding position. If they do and its low, its going to crack your back for sure. Just my views on it.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Last edited by Technocrat : 6th June 2011 at 20:28. Reason: Please read the note in your post carefully, thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 22:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Get yr seats refoamed. Damn cheap. Try it out and see. Add a couple of layers of foam for better comfort. Regd handlebars, i am not sure if Clipons change the riding position. If they do and its low, its going to crack your back for sure. Just my views on it.
Yeah, already considered refoaming. But then realised that the bike would look disproportionate. There's a manufacturing flaw in the Hunk where an inch space is present between the bike and the seat plate. So They compromised on seat foam. That's why I'm considering the CBZ XTreme's seat. And the clip-ons, yeah, they will definitely be lower than the Hunk, but that's fine. I don't mind a sporty stance for better handling!
Old 6th June 2011, 22:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

I had a CBZ for 7 Years. My view to you would always be to keep the vehicle stock. We always think of doing these modifications but after sometime we realise that the stock condition was always better. However its upto you. Just telling you this as i have got a bad back so watch out before you put those clipons . I have a friend who had converted his RE into a Cafe Racer but then reverted back to its original glory.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 02:49   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, already considered refoaming. But then realised that the bike would look disproportionate. There's a manufacturing flaw in the Hunk where an inch space is present between the bike and the seat plate. So They compromised on seat foam. That's why I'm considering the CBZ XTreme's seat. And the clip-ons, yeah, they will definitely be lower than the Hunk, but that's fine. I don't mind a sporty stance for better handling!
Suggest you try the clip-ons first. In case they are not properly fitted they can break esp if you load the front (hunk is front heavy) and hit a bump. Also, keep the width of the beast in mind, shorter handlebars will actually affect your handling and not improve it. my 2cents.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks