Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2011, 11:36   #1
BHPian

Pulsar 180 Engine Overheating, emits White Smoke - Please help

Guys,

I need your help on this. The last 2 days, after riding 1 or 2 kms I notice that when I decelarate or let my bike idle, white smoke comes out from near the exhaust and the engine oil inlet.

There is also a burning smell and a minor hiss sound from the same area.

I can also feel the heat on my legs after riding just a short distance. I have only felt it once long back after a 200 km ride.

I changed to Motul 3000 15W50 2 days back and it's very easy to point this to the oil.

But is this not supposed to be a better oil than the Bajaj OE 20W50 or MAK 4T plus ??

I rule out bad fuel as I fill only from shell these days. I doubt the autheticity of the oil but I know the dealer personally and he's been here for a few years.

Please point me to where the Issue can be.
Old 6th June 2011, 11:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pulsar 180 Engine Overheating - Please help

Is this Motul a bike spec oil or car spec? Could your clutch be slipping?

Also looks like a case of fake oil. Remove it asap, fill original oil and check. Also check the gaskets.

Last edited by Gansan : 6th June 2011 at 11:56.
Old 6th June 2011, 12:10   #3
BHPian

How old is your bike? Now Motul 3000, is this mineral or synthetic oil? I have seen Motul Semisynthetic/Synthetic actually making the gaskets leak in Pulsars, IMHO the easter tech in Motul and not very high quality of the gaskets magnify the problem, though very easy to fix. However, in this case, I would reserve my judgment since a competent mechanic can only identify this issue after thoroughly inspecting the same.

Last edited by sumitkalindi : 6th June 2011 at 12:11. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 6th June 2011, 13:23   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Is this Motul a bike spec oil or car spec? Could your clutch be slipping?

Also looks like a case of fake oil. Remove it asap, fill original oil and check. Also check the gaskets.
This is a bike oil. It says JASO MA2 spec. I replaced the head gasket only about 5000 kms back so it should not be a problem.

I too suspect a fake oil and I don't see any symptoms of clutch slipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitkalindi View Post
How old is your bike? Now Motul 3000, is this mineral or synthetic oil? I have seen Motul Semisynthetic/Synthetic actually making the gaskets leak in Pulsars, IMHO the easter tech in Motul and not very high quality of the gaskets magnify the problem, though very easy to fix. However, in this case, I would reserve my judgment since a competent mechanic can only identify this issue after thoroughly inspecting the same.
Motul 3000 4T is a pure mineral oil. What is the reason for these oils to leak ?

Unless I have a blown gasket or the oil is way too thin I don't see any reasons. This oil 15 W 50 is supposed to meet the spec.
Old 6th June 2011, 13:35   #5
BHPian

Motul uses something they call Easter/Double easter technology, which actually eats away the gaskets. Though I have seen these oil leaks in karizma also, Pulsars are more prone to this issues. However before you do anything else, change the oil and check. Personally I had used 5000v, my 150 could not adjust to the Motul and I have come back to Castrol. But that's just me. I would advise to change the oil and then check.

One more thing, how old is your bike? This maybe a Valve issue also.

Last edited by sumitkalindi : 6th June 2011 at 13:36.
Old 6th June 2011, 13:46   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Motul uses something they call Easter/Double easter technology, which actually eats away the gaskets. Though I have seen these oil leaks in karizma also, Pulsars are more prone to this issues. However before you do anything else, change the oil and check. Personally I had used 5000v, my 150 could not adjust to the Motul and I have come back to Castrol. But that's just me. I would advise to change the oil and then check.

One more thing, how old is your bike? This maybe a Valve issue also.
I still doubt how can it blow the gasket so soon. It's been only a few kms after the change.

Also, I do not have any oil leak. It's just that the engine overheats.

My bike is 4 yrs and 25k kms old.

Anyway, I will change the oil first and try out. Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 13:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
It's just that the engine overheats.
That itself indicates lack of lubrication / heat transfer property. Change it immediately. Try the Shell Advance 20W40 mineral oil available in blue / red cans. I use it for Splendor and am happy with it. I always buy lubes from the Shell pump, despite higher prices, to ensure authenticity. They themselves will do a thorough change for you. Just ensure they do not over tighten the drain nut!

Last edited by Gansan : 6th June 2011 at 13:54.
Old 6th June 2011, 13:54   #8
BHPian

25k is it? I have a hunch that you may have to check the valves/timing chain etc. However, first change the oil, and get the oil stainer cleaned. It is housed near the clutch-plate assembly, and best of luck.

Last edited by sumitkalindi : 6th June 2011 at 13:56.
Old 6th June 2011, 14:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
That itself indicates lack of lubrication / heat transfer property. Change it immediately. Try the Shell Advance 20W40 mineral oil available in blue / red cans. I use it for Splendor and am happy with it. I always buy lubes from the Shell pump, despite higher prices, to ensure authenticity. They themselves will do a thorough change for you. Just ensure they do not over tighten the drain nut!
Pulsar's recommended spec is 20W50. Shell does not have any xW50 oils in their current range

I think I should stick to Bajaj OE oil.

Quote:
25k is it? I have a hunch that you may have to check the valves/timing chain etc. However, first change the oil, and get the oil stainer cleaned. It is housed near the clutch-plate assembly, and best of luck.
Thanks for the pointers. I'm going to the mechanic this evening itself. I will update the experience in this thread.
Old 6th June 2011, 19:07   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
I still doubt how can it blow the gasket so soon. It's been only a few kms after the change.
Is there any oil consumption problem other than heating? Well, overheating engines have low life for gaskets. Also, do you have any engine guard or those huge 'pant protecting' mudguards?

Quote:
...Try the Shell Advance 20W40 mineral oil available in blue / red cans. I use it for Splendor and am happy with it.
AFAIK, Splendor and pulsar oil is different. The pulsar requires xxW50 where xx is atleast = 10.

Last edited by dhanushs : 6th June 2011 at 19:09.
Old 6th June 2011, 19:24   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Change the oil once and see.Also since you said white smoke is coming from exhaust it could be because of a busted piston ring too,which is allowing the oil to seep into the combustion chamber.So if the white smoke remains after changing oil then check this too.Since you have changed the head gasket no need to worry about it!
Old 6th June 2011, 20:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Oil seals are bust, hence oil burns along with fuel giving out white smoke, resulting in lesser oil in the sump = Engine overheat due to increased friction.

Get your engine worked upon. Heard that Jai Bajaj is good.
Old 6th June 2011, 21:03   #13
BHPian

First change the oil and see if it works for you or not, otherwise the white smoke from your exhaust can be also due to leaking piston rings. Go step by step in eliminating the problem.
Old 6th June 2011, 22:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Dude,

What specification oil does the Pulsar use? Check your manual for the rating. If it is indeed 15W50, there is absolutely nothing to worry about. The rating itself decides the viscosity of the oil.

The double ester technology used by Motul provides better performance at higher temperatures, and is NOT responsible for eating away gaskets. Also, it is used for the performance oils like 300v, and in most probability the 3000T does not even use it. So please relax!

Did you flush the engine before the oil change? Sometimes the flush causes dislodging of carbon deposits that had been assisting the oil seals. This is often the cause for white smoke in old cars that have undergone an oil change.

Please do NOT use any oil you feel like using without matching the specs.

If the 3000T matches your requirements, then this is a clear case of shot rings (probably a result of some over-spirited riding).

Hope this helps.
Old 7th June 2011, 08:03   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Is there any oil consumption problem other than heating? Well, overheating engines have low life for gaskets. Also, do you have any engine guard or those huge 'pant protecting' mudguards?

AFAIK, Splendor and pulsar oil is different. The pulsar requires xxW50 where xx is atleast = 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Change the oil once and see.Also since you said white smoke is coming from exhaust it could be because of a busted piston ring too,which is allowing the oil to seep into the combustion chamber.So if the white smoke remains after changing oil then check this too.Since you have changed the head gasket no need to worry about it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
First change the oil and see if it works for you or not, otherwise the white smoke from your exhaust can be also due to leaking piston rings. Go step by step in eliminating the problem.
Thanks for the pointers guys. I will first change the oil. My next step will be suspect the oil seals, gasket or the piston rings.

Is 25k kms with a little bit of hard riding here and there enough to wear out the piston rings ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Dude,

What specification oil does the Pulsar use? Check your manual for the rating. If it is indeed 15W50, there is absolutely nothing to worry about. The rating itself decides the viscosity of the oil.

The double ester technology used by Motul provides better performance at higher temperatures, and is NOT responsible for eating away gaskets. Also, it is used for the performance oils like 300v, and in most probability the 3000T does not even use it. So please relax!

Did you flush the engine before the oil change? Sometimes the flush causes dislodging of carbon deposits that had been assisting the oil seals. This is often the cause for white smoke in old cars that have undergone an oil change.

Please do NOT use any oil you feel like using without matching the specs.

If the 3000T matches your requirements, then this is a clear case of shot rings (probably a result of some over-spirited riding).

Hope this helps.
Pulsar's recommended spec is 20W50. The oil grade is ok. My doubt is on the Genuineness!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks