Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2011, 19:43   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Finally, A Bike ! But Which One?

Hi prateekm,

Considering your requirements, I guess the ZMR fits the bill. There is Fi, and non-Fi variants. TD both and chose yourself.

PS - As for a tourer, nothing comes close to the Enfield. Though you will lose initial performance and tight curve handing. It also has bit of snob value attached to it.
Old 27th June 2011, 20:37   #17
BHPian

How about the CBR 250?
Old 27th June 2011, 20:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
How about the CBR 250?
About 50-60k off his budget but if he is willing to stretch then its a good choice!
Old 27th June 2011, 21:38   #19
BHPian

I tried to increase my budget, but it isn't possible. So a new R15 doesn't fit in my budget, at least now. I have about 30 days to buy one, so will learn riding on uncle's CBZ and then decide. I might finalize on a new Apache ABS or a 2nd hand R15 (or even a Fazer, since 3 guys including you have recommended me). I felt the P220 a bit too heavy for my liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post

RTR180 (ABS) ticks most of the boxes except for the riding posture. You have a good engine with stonking pick up and acceleration. But the riding posture will force you to take frequent breaks. If you are not too bothered about this, then its a good choice.
I guess these are the only 2 negatives on the 180.

1) Engine vibes at over 100 kmph.

Will changing to semi-synthetic/synthetic reduce the vibes? If yes, which oil do you suggest?

2) Bad for touring.

Other than the riding posture, is touring bad because the seat is hard? If yes, changing the foam in the seat should fix it, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
FZ series (my current bike) is relaxed till 90kmph. But doing 3 digit speeds requires an effort and bike does not feel comfy at those speeds. Riding position is the best of the bikes i have owned so far and you can do non stop rides without feeling any pains in the wrist, shoulder, neck etc. Fazer is a good choice for touring since it will deflect the wind blast to an extent. Fairing is not as huge as ZMR to pose a problem and its only 4kgs heavier than FZ16/FZ-S on paper. Pillion seat is almost non existent so you might want to take the prospective pillion on a long test ride before you zero in on the FZ series.
How much mileage would it give? 35+ won't be a problem for me, but one of my friend is a FZ-16 owner and he says he never gets anything above 25, no matter how he rides.
Old 27th June 2011, 21:45   #20
BHPian

If you're willing to extend your budget then the CBR is your best bet.You might have a small frame but since you plan to keep the bike for five years your frame will change by then
Old 27th June 2011, 21:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
I might finalize on a new Apache ABS or a 2nd hand R15 (or even a Fazer, since 3 guys including you have recommended me). I felt the P220 a bit too heavy for my liking.
Be careful about the used R15 and get it thoroughly checked if you find an example as well. New Fazer should easily fit into your budget.

Quote:

Will changing to semi-synthetic/synthetic reduce the vibes? If yes, which oil do you suggest?
Its not the fault of the oil but the engine design. Its an over square engine and engine vibes are a nature of over square engines.

Quote:
2) Bad for touring.

Other than the riding posture, is touring bad because the seat is hard? If yes, changing the foam in the seat should fix it, right?
Seat is totally fine on the 160. Guessing it the same or similar material so it should not be a cause of concern. But the riding posture is. And also your point no. 1 which will give you massages to the hand and feet in the 4-6k rpm range and render them numb after a long ride

Quote:
How much mileage would it give? 35+ won't be a problem for me, but one of my friend is a FZ-16 owner and he says he never gets anything above 25, no matter how he rides.
Not sure of the tuning of your friends bike and the way its maintained. My FZ has run about 2200 kms as of today. It gives a constant mileage of 39kmpl in the city. I usually shift at 5k rpm and ride in the 55-70kmph range since my work timings entitle me to relatively deserted roads.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 27th June 2011 at 21:54.
Old 29th June 2011, 17:48   #22
BHPian

Go for the FZ/Fazer, man...You will be more than happy with it.
You can easily extract 35-40kmpl from it. And you can cruise at about 80-90kmph without any issues.
Its got a great chasis. Awesome tyres to aid you in cornering and it will be relatively easier to maintain.
Old 29th June 2011, 17:58   #23
BHPian

Quote:

Pal,
I'm telling you, don't trust this guy. Either he doesn't know how to change gears or he doesn't know how to read the trip meter. And there's a third possibility. He already owns this bike and if all the guys buy the same bike, the uniqueness and the rarity of the bike is gone. Any bells ringing? I think this is the reason why he is getting just 25kmpl.

Tell you one thing....hush hush...i used to tell the same regarding my Unicorn when I was in college. And it worked too...Mine the only unicorn in the college for 2 years. Gee...!!
Old 29th June 2011, 20:13   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanvenu

Pal,
I'm telling you, don't trust this guy. Either he doesn't know how to change gears or he doesn't know how to read the trip meter. And there's a third possibility. He already owns this bike and if all the guys buy the same bike, the uniqueness and the rarity of the bike is gone. Any bells ringing? I think this is the reason why he is getting just 25kmpl.

Tell you one thing....hush hush...i used to tell the same regarding my Unicorn when I was in college. And it worked too...Mine the only unicorn in the college for 2 years. Gee...!!
I've mostly seen people recommending the bike/car they own. It's not very often that you see someone using the reverse psychology. Cool!

Anyway, just to be unbiased even I have a couple of friends who report a mileage of about 35 to 40 kmpl. Its a good bike with a refined engine. I felt it gasps a little for breath post 100. Can comfortably cruise between 80 to 90. Cheers!
Old 30th June 2011, 10:19   #25
BHPian

Quote:

2) Bad for touring.

My two cents.
The first one you mentioned is not a problem really.Vibrations creep in only after the 5-6.5k rpm range.It really shakes the hell out of you then.When you are doing 60-75kph it's usually then when the bike vibrates the most.Above that,the bike is definitely not butter smooth but vibrations drop substantially.Above 100,it's just fine.Most people confuse the engine-stress with vibrations.The RTR's engine feels stressed once you hit 120kph.Otherwise,the ride till there is not that much bothering.Changing the oil might help as well.I use Shell semi-syethetic oil and I can feel the change.Try and ride the bike with a snug-fit helmet and gloves and trust me,you wouldn't hear anything than the exhaust note which is nothing but sweet.

I have toured on my bike quite a few times.The last trip was 270km long;completed in 4 and a half hours.Stopped every 1 hour for 5 minutes but never felt uncomfortable or tired anytime.Seats are not hard at all.The suspension is! So be careful in case you decide to ride through pot-holed or bad roads.Cruising speed was maintained near 90kph with occasional bursts to 125kph.

Also,I would suggest you to avoid buying a used bike.Either stretch your budget to a new one or leave it.A new bike is a NEW bike.We aren't talking of superbikes here so don't be troubled! Take a test ride of Fazer,ABS RTR et al and decide.Whichever fits the bill and your heart,pick it!

Cheers!!

Last edited by Shivank : 30th June 2011 at 10:35.
Old 30th June 2011, 10:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

Have a look at the Suzuki GS 150R, even though it is a 150cc bike. Take a test ride and see. That one impressed me a lot when I rode it for a friend.
Old 30th June 2011, 10:35   #27
Senior - BHPian

Since the R15 is out, maybe you should be looking at the RTR 180 ABS. The ABS might help you as the discs on the Apache are known to be very snappy. So not skidding at all is a good incentive to buy the bike. Other options are the HH Hunk, but might not suit a person with a small frame. But is an effective tourer. But since your budget is 90k, you might as well take the P220 without the fairing as the one with the fairing might not suit your build. Personally, I'd go for the RTR 180 ABS if I was you. It seems to tick all the boxes for your criteria. Nippy handler, fast, efficient and safe.

OT: Lol, my Hunk genuinely gives 35kmpl. So no reverse psychology at work here.
Old 30th June 2011, 11:00   #28
BANNED

I think the choice is basically between an RTR180 and a Pulsar220. The unicorn has a wait period and R15 and CBR are out of this budget. Take a TD of both and then decide for yourself. P220 is a great bike, don't be intimidated by it's looks.
Old 3rd July 2011, 14:22   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I will suggest you Hero Honda Karizma.

I agree with him.

Karizma R (not the zmr) fits your requirements. Its a really complete bike for city as well as long rides. No matter what your body style is. Also the bike has a lot of x factor in it. So style as well as purpose solves the dilemma.

I would rate the following bikes in order of the numbers.

1) Karizma R (for superb handling, style and maintenance - will give u a bit less average than others but the bike is wort it)
2) Yamaha R15 (great style with superbike feel but not for everyday riding)
3) Unicorn (tagged as the commuter, but it has all the qualities of a good bike)
4) Pulsar 220 (Great handling, value for money, a tad expensive in maintenance and feels heavier to ride than it is, though but overall a great package)
5) HH Splendor (the economizer, though not a bikers bike but saves a lot of petrol than others/ half the community will kill me for rating this as a bike but hello !!)
6) Apache 180/Rtr 160 (Fun bikes but too much grunty engine)
7) Pulsar 150/180/200 (too common and every other bike is a pulzar on road these days - so nothing special - but these bikes sell for a reason)
8) Yamaha Fz series (again value for money, great style, low on maintenance)

One out of the way odd suggestion........ what about the 2 stroke extinct - Rx100 or 135, second hand will come cheap and restoration wont cost a fortune. The bikes are proven monsters in small package. (cant compare with the new generation 4 strokers but these bikes mean a different cult altogether)
Old 5th July 2011, 12:37   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Guys !

I've finally broken the age-limit barrier and am now in the market for a new bike. I currently ride a Honda Dio (gearless license, you know) and planning to sell it and get a new bike within 90,000-1,00,000. So let me pen down my requirements in the next few lines and hope you guys can guide me to the right bike for my demands.

1) Newbie: I did about 14k kms in as many months on my Dio but I don't know to ride a geared bike because I wanted to be 18 before I drive one. So, it should be easy to learn.

2) Weight: I'm 5" 8' but I am underweight for my age, 50-52kg. So, the primary requirement is that I shouldn't feel the bike to be bulky while city drives. I like the R15, but I guess it won't suit on a thin physique like mine.

3) Daily running: I will do about 60 kms on an average daily on the Eastern Express Highway from Thane to Wadala, Mumbai. This highway is generally congestion free except on a few locations, so need something that can do 80kph without any sweat. Mileage isn't a concern but a large tank would be a boon.

4) Touring: Yes, this is what I currently dream every night! Plan to do a BOM-BLR-BOM by this year end with a pillion rider on the 'yet-to-come' bike, so it should be comfortable and the headlights should be adequate for night driving.

5) Servicing: Pricing of the spare parts isn't an issue, but the attitude of the dealers and the service technicians is. I won't buy a Honda, thanks to their pathetic servicing issues I faced with my Dio. Similarly, resale doesn't matter since I would keep the bike for 4-5 years.

6) Reliability: It should be reliable. I don't want it to leave me stranded on a lone highway with no mechanic in site for the next 50 kms. The best feature of the Apache is the ABS, but will it be reliable?

6) Performance: Top-end doesn't matter me, but the initial pickup does matter A LOT. Should have good handling on curves.

In my mind, I have shortlisted TVS Apache 180 ABS or the R15 as the next bike, but I am open to other suggestions too I can wait a maximum of 2-3 months if there's a bike getting launched which meets my expectation and the waiting period is justified.

Thanks for reading, drive safe.

Prateek.

Prateek so did you take the final call? Do let us know and roll out an ownership thread in case you have already taken the call.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks