Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2011, 11:31   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Enfield Bullet : Classic 350 versus Classic 500

The wide open road deserves a bigger block so go for the 500. More power and torque means a more enjoyable ride. Switch back roads will be more enjoyable on a bike with more power as you keep switching gears. We now have a good number of freeways so a bike with a higher cruising speed will be better.
Old 9th July 2011, 01:53   #32
BHPian

Get a CI 500 and do it up like a Thunderbird. That's what I did! You have the torque of a 500 and the cruising comfort of a TB. Good to hear that CI 500 prices are climbing in the second hand market!
Regards,
Ashok
Old 9th July 2011, 02:11   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashphil View Post
Get a CI 500 and do it up like a Thunderbird. That's what I did! You have the torque of a 500 and the cruising comfort of a TB. Good to hear that CI 500 prices are climbing in the second hand market!
Regards,
Ashok
Can you post the pics of the same?
I am curious to know about the mods.
and yeah 500 over a 350 anyday,even if you have to ride in cities

Last edited by akshay4587 : 9th July 2011 at 02:12.
Old 9th July 2011, 09:52   #34
BANNED

I went and booked a C3 because of doubts but am taking a experiential ride today on the C500 ad based on that will decide whether to change to CL500. I read in some automag that the waiting period is so long because they had initially decided that CL500 was for export market with a few niche buyers here but it seems once they released it the demand blew away their calculations and they were short of capacity and they are gradually ramping up production.

I noticed that the height of CL500 is lesser than CL350, why is that?
Old 9th July 2011, 10:09   #35
Senior - BHPian

Now both C3 & C5 come with 19 in front but C3 has a taller(high profile)tyre in front, ribbed old style one hence the raised height.

With the loaner bike make sure you take it through the city traffic as well as on Highway and whack it hard. Then ride a C3 afterwards.
Old 9th July 2011, 21:23   #36
BHPian

A lot depends on your budget as well. If you are only planning to use the RE for long drives, I would suggest the 500. But if city driving is gong to be a regular feature, stick to the 350 (the money saved can be used for accessorizing ).
Old 10th July 2011, 10:20   #37
BHPian

If you can afford, then go for 500 any day. I've been the member of Bombay bullet club(Indieethumpers) before and all of the guys graduated from 350-500.
It takes time to get used to the additional bhp-torque if you are not used to riding Bulls, but once familiar then the 500 any day!! I mean if you normally ride 100-150cc bikes.

Cheers and Ride safe.
MKPIyengar
Old 11th July 2011, 08:26   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Now both C3 & C5 come with 19 in front but C3 has a taller(high profile)tyre in front, ribbed old style one hence the raised height.

With the loaner bike make sure you take it through the city traffic as well as on Highway and whack it hard. Then ride a C3 afterwards.
quick update:
Had taken the CL500 (which had 12500on the odo) for the weekend and rode it both in the city and the highways for a total of 250kms. Here is what I feel-
The Bike has got enormous torque and pulls like an Ox, a real Bull
The torque is very addictive and I enjoyed it thorughly. In the city the surprise was, I found the bike very maneuverable and I could weave it around like my Uni! One twist of the throttle and you leave them all behind.

On the highways it cruised smoothly at around 80-90kmph and I thought it topped out at something like 130kmph, not sure how someone said in these forums they went up to 145.
The starter worked first time everytime and the seat is at an ideal height for me. Overtaking vehicles is a breeze with the available torque and it can also putter at low rpms.

However four things which I didn't like were-
(i) The handle bar is a little far out for me and my arms stretch nearly fully while riding which made it tiring after sometime. Can the handle be brought closer? My bum was getting numb and rubbery after 50kms or so.

(ii) I felt vibrations creep in after 100 kmph which got really bad at 120, so bad that I was scared that my grip on the handle would somehow slip

(iii) A phat-phat sound of misfiring whenever I reduced speed after driving for a some time in high speed.

(iv) The tyres had a mediocre grip, I could sense the bike stradling/wobbling when doing turns.

Roughly, I poured in 7L of petrol for the 250kms done.

Last edited by zaks : 11th July 2011 at 08:36. Reason: addition
Old 11th July 2011, 10:05   #39
Senior - BHPian

Was the C5 you rode a older version with 18 in front?

Things you did not like because of ;

Handle bar- Yes it can be brought closer and the new C5 does have a closer one, old C5 has a British/European style handle bar which does not give you a straight posture so you have to lean forward and that helps the but if you move back towards the seat.

Vibrations- It can be reduced a bit more so not an issue but after 115 it keeps climbing. Although the new crank on C5 is very well balanced compared to the older version.

Phat Phat noise- Is actually after-fire and not misfiring or backfire. Assuming the test mule had the upswept on then yes it can be taken care off.

Tyres- Fornt tyre has a awesome grip but rear one is not upto the mark if there was sand and gravel on the road. New 120 at rear has better grip. Sometimes triangulation of the seat springs under load can make you feel as if the bike is wobbling.

Yes C5 can go above 140 but you have to keep doing 120 plus for a stretch and then it starts climbing. Usually in summers the C5 gets really fast when it gets lean.

Now go and try the C3
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 12:10   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Hi,
I have been following all the RE threads here and have gone through the ownership reports of few Bhpians too and have decided to buy the RE classic. But my problem is, I am not able to decide between RE350 and RE500. The bike will mostly be used for road trips because I have a Uni for city but would like to do occasional city riding also. Also, I am a leanly built guy though I feel that should not be a cause for concern but want to know if it matters.

I took a short test ride (RE350) and liked it and want to do the booking. Please help me with your suggestions on whether to go for RE500 or RE350

The dealer is saying the wait period is 6-8 months, but that I feel is very long, can I go for an used one? There is right now 2011 model put on sale in classifieds here- http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...d/Classic.html
The only trouble is it is in Gurgaon and have no way of doing a test ride
I took a test drive of both C500 and Electra 350 last weekend. First I took the test drive of the C500 and then the Electra.

I felt the C500 more like a japanese bike with higher rev at higher torque and lower torque at the lower torque. I asked the Bull expert there is it true and he said that I was right and asked me to try the Electra 350.

Here is the summary on the two bikes:
C500
-Does not feel like a bullet. Feels like almost like another Japanese bike
-Bike loves to be reved...almost ready to for a drag race (even though the bike is not that category)
- Smooth and no vibrations till 80kmph
- Expect lower fuel efficiency
- Bad jerks at low rpm in lower gears

Electra 350
- Feels like a bullet, positioning, seating, handle
- High low end torque and the torque stays uniform until 80kmph
- Expect more fuel efficiency
- No jerks at low rpm in lower gears

Anyways, I booked a C500 bike by paying advance and asked for the chrome model which is expected to be delivered in next 8 months(only be 2012)

Does anyone have the torque Vs RPM chart for both C500 and C350?

Last edited by Tommie : 11th July 2011 at 12:15. Reason: added a question
Old 11th July 2011, 12:35   #41
BHPian

Hi Tommie,

Where did you book? Are they taking the booking for chrome model and is there any price difference?
Old 11th July 2011, 14:09   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Hi Tommie,

Where did you book? Are they taking the booking for chrome model and is there any price difference?
I booked it at Teknik, Sarjapur road. They are not specifically taking for chrome as it is not available in their system and hence currently marked as BLACK. Since it wont be available before end of 2011, i said fine and would wait till the Chrome is announced to change it.
Old 11th July 2011, 21:44   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
(iii) A phat-phat sound of misfiring whenever I reduced speed after driving for a some time in high speed.
(iv) The tyres had a mediocre grip, I could sense the bike stradling/wobbling when doing turns.
The misfire sound in all probability is due to a burnt exhaust seal (2 pieces of heat resistant cardboard) between the exhaust port and the muffler.
Tyres definitely need an upgrade. Dunlop buttons (3.25 on front as well) are good though the steering becomes slightly heavy - hardly matters when touring.

Have just come back from the Himalayan Odyssey 11 and I took my TBTS for the ride.
If you want a touring bike; wait for the 500 TBTS (19 L tank, rear disc brakes); Oct-Nov launch in all probability.

Mods on the RE in my opinion a strict no-no specially technical ones; cosmetics feel free. Have seen and heard of a lot of 'great' mechanics but hardly found any to live up to the expectation.

Last edited by nitin.rai : 11th July 2011 at 21:45. Reason: spell check
Old 12th July 2011, 18:33   #44
BHPian

Hello Zaks, I have been reading through this post and I am compelled to post my opinion. I rode the CL500, courtesy Classic Motorcycles LLC managed by Mr.Nelson. She was brilliant. The ride was so fulfilling and I ain't too tall mind you. My better half had serious doubts when she saw me on the Bull (that is if I could manage the weight and bulk) but once road bound, she certainly knew I had a blast. At that moment, I made up my mind that it is going to be the CL500 back in India for me and I shall take her places. But again after searching enough info on her, I have my doubts now. I am no RE guy and this would be my first bull (if I ever get one). I am confused too. But the reason I post now, is just to let you know that I had an awesome time riding the CL500, no two ways about that!

Btw, Mr.Nelson had an awesome variety of modded bulls on display and he certainly had these accessories for the Bull like the leather bags for the sides, the old number plates (straight ones), old-fashioned helmets and others. I was told they have a Bullet community here in Dubai who participate in long rides just like the HD guys. FYI.

Cherio
Champion

Last edited by Champion : 12th July 2011 at 18:37. Reason: I wanted to add on something.
Old 12th July 2011, 19:17   #45
BANNED

I converted my booking to CL500 as I don't mind the extra money/fuel and it really comes useful when going on long rides. But now I have to wait for 6-8 months, well at least one benefit is we can get to see if there are other interesting launches coming before we get our thumpers. I got their in house magazine called Beat and it shows the Standard 500 and Classic Chrome 500 as the new launches.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks